The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

On 2/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, GLASSJAW said:

i loved both previous father john misty albums, but his new one (Pure Comedy) leaked and i could barely finish it. it's basically like listening to an extremely depressed man who has done too much LSD proselytize over some decent-i-guess baroque pop. i actually find his lyrics pretty interesting and engaging, but the music is DULL. i couldn't recite a chorus--i'm not even sure if there was even any? it almost sounds like FJM just singing off a series of essays or something.

an interesting listen, i guess. can't really imagine it becoming a favourite though

edit: just read a few other comments on another website and some people referred to some songs as being "catchy" and i'm completely dumbfounded. maybe i just wasn't in the mood, or one of those repeat-listen albums. either way, not really my thing after one listen -- but your own judge if you dig fjm

I am two months late, but I really enjoy Pure Comedy. I've made the joke that anti-FJM people tend to be white, male, and upset that their girlfriends find the dude irresistible. I think some of what you say is pretty accurate but he's so &^@#ing captivating. Best album I've heard this year. I've made love in Costa Rica to it playing on repeat. It's a good sentimental piece. 

PS: Love Glassjaw. 

• 2 weeks later...

gave the new Kendrick a listen today. surprised by how much I like it, as none of his previous albums really had lasting impact on me (minus a few fantastic songs here and there). 

gave the new Wire album a listen too. big fan of their early stuff (and some recent), but Silver/Lead doesn't move me at all. bland.

OKNOTOK announced by Radiohead (basically a re-issue of OK Computer and all the b-sides and unreleased tunes from the 1997 recording sessions)

Palo Alto has been one of my favourite tracks for time so excited to get the song digitally soon.

10 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

OKNOTOK announced by Radiohead (basically a re-issue of OK Computer and all the b-sides and unreleased tunes from the 1997 recording sessions)

Palo Alto has been one of my favourite tracks for time so excited to get the song digitally soon.

Oh yeah...Lull and Pearly are two of my favorites.

So many great albums released recently.

I loved DAMN for the most part. Doesn't really compare to TPAB but still good in its own right. 

Pleasure from Feist was surprisingly good once I got into it. It's really stripped down and raw but her singing carries it. 

Slowdive (st) is everything I hoped for. There's just something about that type of Dream pop that I really connect with emotionally. 

The new Gorillaz is disappointing but I think I had my expectations way too high. It comes across as more of a mixtape if anything because it hardly feels like an actual album or even a Gorillaz album for that matter. There's still a few great songs like Ascension, Momentz, Submission, Charger and Andromeda. 

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

The new Gorillaz is disappointing but I think I had my expectations way too high. It comes across as more of a mixtape...

So, it's a Gorillaz album.

16 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

haven't been able to sit through the entire gorillaz album yet. hear bits and pieces there - some are great, some are generic as hell sounding.

I listened to the first half, and thought, "I don't get this...at all." Wasn't even mildly into any song.

Thought maybe I just grew out of the Gorillaz. So put on Demon Days, and it was even better than I remembered.

3 hours ago, otherwise said:

New Rancid in June.

I'm far more excited than I should be.

R leallyiked the new Joey Bada$$.

They're playing at UBC in the summer. Got tickets for old times sake, should be a fun night.

16 hours ago, moz said:

They're playing at UBC in the summer. Got tickets for old times sake, should be a fun night.

Yeah, them and DKM put on a good show. They aren't coming anywhere near me and I'm going to be in belfast and dublin a month after they're there. :(

new Black Angels is pretty good, but nothing special

new Black Lips is pretty good I guess, but disappointing considering how much I love some of their previous releases. I love a few singles though.

new Mac DeMarco is boring to me, not sure why this guy is as popular as he is

new Thurston Moore is good, but didn't hit me immediately like a lot of Sonic Youth releases have

Archived