The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm reading through these 2017 music choices, and am I the only one who enjoys the new pop music?  I grew up on Elvis, Berry, and Lewis, and these new kids are pretty good.  Beiber, Gomez, Cara, Styles, Sheeran, Mendes, Mars, Weekend, Chainsmokers, Hedley, and a lot more.  Plus, a lot of the best are Canadian!  

Some hedley and beiber  are ok.  Rest IMO are cringy with annoying sounds within their songs. 

I think American pop singers are more famous is Asian and parts of Europe then they are in north America. 

27 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Some hedley and beiber  are ok.  Rest IMO are cringy with annoying sounds within their songs. 

I think American pop singers are more famous is Asian and parts of Europe then they are in north America. 

I remember watching a very young Jacob Hoggard on Canadian Idol in 2003.  He's certainly made some good music since then.  I forgot to mention I really enjoy Pitbull and Eminem.  My favourite, I missed, is Twenty-one Pilots.  Unique sound, and excellent lyrics.  Maybe these new pop artists remind me of those younger days listening to the late fifties and early sixties singers?  Don't know, but I do enjoy the songs.  Listen to 94.5 a lot.  Like Seacrest's top 40.  

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember watching a very young Jacob Hoggard on Canadian Idol in 2003.  He's certainly made some good music since then.  I forgot to mention I really enjoy Pitbull and Eminem.  My favourite, I missed, is Twenty-one Pilots.  Unique sound, and excellent lyrics.  Maybe these new pop artists remind me of those younger days listening to the late fifties and early sixties singers?  Don't know, but I do enjoy the songs.  Listen to 94.5 a lot.  Like Seacrest's top 40.  

me too. I think I may have had a small crush on him then.

I like the weeknd some new bruno mars and the odd other song from the folks you mentioned in your previous post. I wouldn't say that much if any of this music is life changing or soul feeding (which to me is what the greatest music does.) but it does help pass the time and make doing tasks at work feel slightly more pleasant. I listen to pop/top 40 radio mostly because there is only so much horrendous "classic" rock music and "bro" country I can listen to without wanting to punch something.

2 hours ago, otherwise said:

me too. I think I may have had a small crush on him then.

I like the weeknd some new bruno mars and the odd other song from the folks you mentioned in your previous post. I wouldn't say that much if any of this music is life changing or soul feeding (which to me is what the greatest music does.) but it does help pass the time and make doing tasks at work feel slightly more pleasant. I listen to pop/top 40 radio mostly because there is only so much horrendous "classic" rock music and "bro" country I can listen to without wanting to punch something.

Your last comment made this old alien laugh.  I'm guessing you're in Regina, so there's always the "Farm Report" :lol:

actually, I love the Qu' appelle valley, especially up by Saskatoon.  

The Weekend is a talent.  His voice reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.  

On 2017-08-07 at 2:59 PM, Alflives said:

Your last comment made this old alien laugh.  I'm guessing you're in Regina, so there's always the "Farm Report" :lol:

actually, I love the Qu' appelle valley, especially up by Saskatoon.  

The Weekend is a talent.  His voice reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.  

lol, I don't live in Regina or Saskatoon (anymore) but yes I do occasionally listen to country stations for the Ag news. :ph34r:

There are a lot of really nice spots in this province just the musical preferences of some residents leaves a lot to be desired. 

Yeah, I would agree about the Weeknd and MJ, except for whatever reason, I like the Weeknd more.

So psyched for tonight's Metallica concert at BC place. Love the new album (Hardwired...To Self-Destruct), best stuff they've done since the Black album IMO. In fact, I like the new one even better than that. Best one since Master? They'll be doing a handful from the new album, looking forward to hearing that. Doesn't get much better in a live show setting than singing along to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" with 40,000 other 'bangers. \m/

new arcade fire is not good at all, imo. saw all the negative reviews and press and hoped that it was just a matter of the band not being 'cool' anymore or whatever. but nope, it really just isn't good at all to me. easily their worst release to date 

new Grizzly Bear also didn't do much for me after one listen. really disappointing, as i had high hopes for that

How do I put this nicely?

Beck is in Winnipeg for the first time ever, today. But because I have a 10 month old at home and one of my wife's 5 sisters is flying in tonight, I can't go.

This might be the first time I'm actually full of hate.

18 minutes ago, Monty said:

How do I put this nicely?

Beck is in Winnipeg for the first time ever, today. But because I have a 10 month old at home and one of my wife's 5 sisters is flying in tonight, I can't go.

This might be the first time I'm actually full of hate.

baby-at-concert-festival-baby-headphones

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

baby-at-concert-festival-baby-headphones

I don't even know how to put into words how disappointed and sad I am. Never had the chance to see Beck, and him being in Winnipeg of all places will literally never happen again.

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Take your child

Already discussed, this is a "no go" from the wife.

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

There's this new thing called "babysitters"...

Yup. But my wife won't let me go, even by myself. You know, despite the fact that she went to the Bruno Mars concert 2 weeks ago and left me with the kid while she went.

The ironing is delicious. :( 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Already discussed, this is a "no go" from the wife.

Yup. But my wife won't let me go, even by myself. You know, despite the fact that she went to the Bruno Mars concert 2 weeks ago and left me with the kid while she went.

The ironing is delicious. :( 

IMG_1892.JPG

On 8/18/2017 at 1:29 PM, GLASSJAW said:

new arcade fire is not good at all, imo. saw all the negative reviews and press and hoped that it was just a matter of the band not being 'cool' anymore or whatever. but nope, it really just isn't good at all to me. easily their worst release to date 

new Grizzly Bear also didn't do much for me after one listen. really disappointing, as i had high hopes for that

I'm disappointed with Everyone Now as well but I wouldn't say it's all bad. I still enjoyed most of the singles and there are a couple great songs near the end of the album. However the songs in the middle of it are quite bad and I'll probably never listen to the whole thing together so I guess in that respect it's a failed project. 

I definitely like the new Grizzly Bear. I'd say give it some time because even the singles took a while to grow on me. Obviously the synth aspect to this one is a departure from the last two amazing albums but I can still get down with it.

Losing All Sense is easily my favourite song off this thing. Aquarian is probably second. 

New WOD album "a deeper understanding" released officially yesterday.

perfect times released as I bought it in the morning and had a long enough drive to listen to it uninterrupted twice through.

love this band and had high hopes for this album.  As with most bands I like who sign with a major I had some

concerns but granduciel apparently has full creative control so........

the result made has brought a smile to my face.  This album sounds incredible.  Adding a consistent almost chugging stronger base guitar sound and some just enough drum overlay really takes the sound into another level over LIAD the last release.  Anyone who has listened and liked this band will be a fan of the silky synth sounds and the new production is by far the most full grandiose production relative to synth so far.  It completely envelopes the space you are listening in.

all these musical areas mentioned and no I finally get to the guitars and in particular the solos.  Granduciel is a master of authenticity in tone and arrangement in these solos. Incorporating some of the melodies and expanding on them, he achieves not only some catchy elements but also atmosphere. The solos are a bit less notey than prior albums but less is more here and the tones, man, right in my wheelhouse.  Perfect imo.

all in all I'm bias as I have all the albums already and totally dig this band.  The display of talent by granduciel in particular relative to a modern rock sound is not rivalled currently imo.  There is nothing in this album he wasn't a part of if not entirely responsible for, sometimes playing between 7-12 instruments.  The detail and arrangements here, again, elite level.

Archived