The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

From the scouts and so-called experts, Brendan Gaunce's ceiling is a second line centre that can chip in 50-60pt a season while playing solid defensive game (a la Kesler). His projection is a third line centre who can chip in 35-45 pts a season while playing gritty shutdown role. His floor would be a fourth line centre playing limited minutes.

I think he fits well with where this team is headed in the near future. But I think the organization is intent on using Jensen as a top 6 forward, and will be relied upon to do the scoring. He will get more offensive zone starts and shifts with offensive players.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Cameron Gaunce is in it, but not Brendan.

Also in the video is Cody Hodgson at the beginning laughing and joking with Cameron, Brendan's older brother.

Post of the year will go to who can find the video of him acting on stage for his high school play "hairspray".

I know we love our character guys, but wow hahaha

Man, that's gotta be in some dark corner of the internet archives. I've checked youtube and advanced searched on google for Bellevue and Markham highschools performing Hairspray to no avail.

hmm, i wonder if all this talk about gaunce being at biosteel is actually just a misunderstanding about cameron being there. I checked last year's "roster" and cameron was listed, but Brendan was not.

Nope both brothers are there.

During the past two summers, the Gaunce brothers have enrolled themselves into fitness-guru Gary Roberts’ hockey training program

http://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-gaunce-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-built-nhl/

Man, that's gotta be in some dark corner of the internet archives. I've checked youtube and advanced searched on google for Bellevue and Markham highschools performing Hairspray to no avail.

Hahaha I was originally going to say 50bucks for whoever finds it but then I snapped out of it realizing someone on here would go turbo advance searching his highschool lol. Changed it to post of the year honors haha

I just thought it was kinda funny.. Im almost 27 so I've been out of highschool for a little while and maybe things have changed.. But I don't recall any hockey players ever starring in highschool musicals.

Looking at those films I'm not seeing the Kesler or Staal comparisons. He does, however, look a lot like a left shooting, less gangly Trevor Linden, and it ain't just the black uniform. Good wrister, works hard at both ends and in the corners, and though he doesn't turn on a dime he has good speed once in motion. Passing ability may be underrated.

I'm also not getting the 2/3 line ceiling and a sure fire bottom 6 NHLer. His physique will give him an edge but beyond that there is no sure thing with any of these guys. 1st liner or suckage can't be ruled out. Was the number 1 rated Canadian forward in the draft and ranked number 2 at the OHL draft with very good numbers prior to CHL.

Craig Beauchemin@craig_beauch

Glad to see he has that leadership component to his game as well

I remember a guy we drafted as a third line center, was supposed to be at best a checking center in the nhl with a 40 pt ceiling. :) Hello says Kesler.

Not to say we can expect the same but when you draft a kid with character, committed to improving, with size, decent skill and apparently much better skating than was suggested by Central Scouting..well maybe we have a steal..

I love he was named Captain.

Bulls announce captains

BELLEVILLE, ON - The Belleville Bulls unveiled their captaincy for the 2012-13 season on Monday, naming third year-centreman Brendan Gaunce captain along with Stephen Silas, Brady Austin, Michael Curtis and Joseph Cramarossa serving as assistants.

Gaunce was impressive as a 17 year-old, scoring 20 times while adding 48 assists in 68 games. The Markham native was drafted 26th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and signed an entry level contract with the club on August 13th.

Gaunce not only exhibits leadership qualities on the ice for the Bulls, but is recognized as one of the elite young players in Canadian junior hockey. He was nominated as the team's representative for the OHL's Bobby Smith Award in 2011, given to the academic player of the year and will attend Queen’s University this season.

Formerly the second overall pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, Gaunce has developed his game on and off the ice over the past two seasons in Belleville. "Brendan's progression as a leader has been evident in the time he has spent here and he’s brought a high level of maturity and presence to our group this season." said Bulls Head Coach and General Manager George Burnett on Monday. "He has high expectations for himself and for the team this season, and he's always been the type to lead by example."

The Bulls also named their team of assistant captains on Monday, with four veterans sharing the duties this season. Stephen Silas, Brady Austin, Michael Curtis and Joseph Cramarossa will rotate wearing the "A" at home and on the road.

"We have a number of guys on this team who are capable of stepping up to lead, even if they aren't being recognized with a letter," added Burnett. "There is a real veteran presence on this team and we'll need all of our experienced players to assume leadership in order to take us to the next level."

Gaunce inherits the captaincy from former Bull Luke Judson who wore the "C" for the better part of three seasons. "It’s an honour to be named the captain of the Belleville Bulls," Gaunce said with a smile. "In being in Vancouver over the summer and observing the guys there, you see their approach and realize what professionals they are. It’s my goal to bring that enthusiasm and drive to the rink every day."

The Bulls begin their season on Friday night at the RBC Centre in Sarnia, squaring off with the Sting at 7:00pm before facing the Plymouth Whalers on Saturday night on the road.

Fans can follow all the action on AM 800 CJBQ with Bulls voice Jack Miller on play-by-play, or subscribe to the Bulls Twitter feed (@OHLBulls) for up to the minute updates.