The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Fire Benning! Prediction, Whatever, Rant,

I guess Benning has to get some credit for drafting.

From;

Chicago Sun Times

Blackhawks 10/06/2016, 01:48pm

It looks like 20-year-old Gustav Forsling is here to stay

"It’s a small sample size, to be sure, but he very well could be one of the Hawks’ best four or five defensemen right now. And Quenneville seems to agree. Based on the way Quenneville talked about him on Thursday, Forsling appears to have made the team."

From Chicago Tribune;

"Every day his name comes up and we're all very excited about his future, and his future will be determined pretty shortly," Quenneville said. "But certainly we think he's going to be special."

There's that word again.

Didn't the Canucks need defence men, young ones? Strecher AND Forsling would have been really good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 0:27 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

I guess Benning has to get some credit for drafting.

From;

Chicago Sun Times

Blackhawks 10/06/2016, 01:48pm

It looks like 20-year-old Gustav Forsling is here to stay

"It’s a small sample size, to be sure, but he very well could be one of the Hawks’ best four or five defensemen right now. And Quenneville seems to agree. Based on the way Quenneville talked about him on Thursday, Forsling appears to have made the team."

From Chicago Tribune;

"Every day his name comes up and we're all very excited about his future, and his future will be determined pretty shortly," Quenneville said. "But certainly we think he's going to be special."

There's that word again.

Didn't the Canucks need defence men, young ones? Strecher AND Forsling would have been really good.

That trade was to speed up the process rather than wait a few years for Forsling. I'd say we have pretty good D depth now anyway so it doesn't really matter. What we got in return from Chicago helped become Sutter. So let's see, we're solid down the middle, and good on D (with Stetcher and Juolevi still coming up). Just need a couple of wingers (Virtanen + Boeser coming next year) to pan out now. I'm pretty happy. Our "rebuild on the fly" is shaping up very nicely.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

That trade was to speed up the process rather than wait a few years for Forsling. I'd say we have pretty good D depth now anyway so it doesn't really matter. What we got in return from Chicago helped become Sutter. So let's see, we're solid down the middle, and good on D (with Stetcher and Juolevi still coming up). Just need a couple of wingers (Virtanen + Boeser coming next year) to pan out now. I'm pretty happy. Our "rebuild on the fly" is shaping up very nicely.

While I agree that was a thought, it was really bad asset management. It wasn't like the Nucks were desperate for bottom pairing d men at the time.

And while the team lucked out in getting Stetcher if they still had Forsling they would have truly great top 4 defensive depth and not had to wait another 2 or 3 years for OJ to develop.

7 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

While I agree that was a thought, it was really bad asset management. It wasn't like the Nucks were desperate for bottom pairing d men at the time.

And while the team lucked out in getting Stetcher if they still had Forsling they would have truly great top 4 defensive depth and not had to wait another 2 or 3 years for OJ to develop.

You deal with what you know at the time. Clendening had good AHL numbers and appeared NHL ready, while Forsling was years away. That's why the trade happened. It's why we traded a 2nd for Vey and another 2nd for Baertschi. Attempting to speed up the process rather than waiting years. Those trades all made sense. No trade, or draft pick, comes with guarantees. Again, Clendening became a piece in acquiring Sutter. Pittsburgh insisted on Clendening being a part of the deal, then lost him to waivers. Sutter is the win.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I'm curious on to how desperate we are for defensive top 4 depth?  Are we in some sort of rush that letting OJ develop for a couple of years is going to hurt us in any way? 

Edler is our oldest D at 30, with 2 years left on his contract..  Let that sink in....

Hutton (23), Guddy (24), Tanev (26), Larsen (26), Sbisa (26)

Traymkin (22), Stecher (22), Juolevi (18)

Is there an age gap on this team right now where this team is in need of a pure offensive focused 20 year old?  If Forsling what on canucks current depth chart he'd still be 2-3 years away anyways. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Trymakin is ripe for trading now, after all this team needs more "Jane's" they don't need a large version of Tarzan.

This was sarcasm after all the negative stuff leaked by the team, the team needs to give him a very, very big opportunity, even if he doesn't become another Chara, size still matters.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:54 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Just thought I would get a jump on this now as I see it coming in a few months.

At the start of the season the Canucks will be near the top of the division, closer to the end of November they will start to slide, come January they will be fighting for a wild card spot, at the trade deadline they will be 4 to 6 points out and say they think they can still make it, even though there are 4 or more teams they have to leap frog.

Somewhere between November and the trade deadline this;

Statements will be made about competing for a play off spot.

Then about competing game by game.

Then a statement of confidence in the coach.

*Then the firing of the coach and hiring of the savior (who knows the young guys that aren't playing in the NHL).

At the trade deadline;

Statements about having no cap room to do deals.

The high cost of top line players. DUH!

Not a good enough return. (for a player at the end of the contract) because if they did that it would signal, to even the most dense fan, the playoffs are out of the question.

New ticket deals.

A huge amount of talk about Utica  and the players in Utica and Boser and OJ and Demko, with none of them playing a NHL minute.

I mean, does it really matter how well Utica does? The Marlies have been very good for a lot of years and TO still sucked.

Injuries will be blamed.

A little earlier than late November, but it was still July when I wrote this. A history lesson.

28 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

How is that -112 looking so far?

The Negative rep is reflected by the obvious disinterest in prognostication. However it is not reflective of the reality that is unfolding before us. He was/is fairly close to the mark.

It is very bold to predict outcomes no one wants to imagine. Thinkers think, during the good times and the bad, they cant turn it off. Thinkers learn to see patterns and order while others see chaos and luck. Thinkers make sense of the details other people miss. For example you are busy trying to rub his nose in the -112 while you obviously seem to ignore that last july someone made a stand and was very close to predicting a situation that either noone else on this board did or they lacked the "balls" to express. Being unpopular is easy, tell the truth and in all likelikhood you will go against the crowd.

I dont understand how people redicule someones prediction when they have no way to prove that person wrong, Frankly its ignorant. Whats worse is not being humble enough to then go back and give credit where it is due. It would take a very small man to refuse to accept being wrong, small because he robs himself the possible growth of being wrong, learning and moving on a bigger person.

Some people want the truth so bad they would always choose a difficult reality over a comfortable lie. For them thats all there is, being wrong is just a part of searching for truth, only humility is required to move forward.

On 7/24/2016 at 5:54 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Just thought I would get a jump on this now as I see it coming in a few months.

At the start of the season the Canucks will be near the top of the division, closer to the end of November they will start to slide, come January they will be fighting for a wild card spot, at the trade deadline they will be 4 to 6 points out and say they think they can still make it, even though there are 4 or more teams they have to leap frog.

Somewhere between November and the trade deadline this;

Statements will be made about competing for a play off spot.

Then about competing game by game.

Then a statement of confidence in the coach.

*Then the firing of the coach and hiring of the savior (who knows the young guys that aren't playing in the NHL).

At the trade deadline;

Statements about having no cap room to do deals.

The high cost of top line players. DUH!

Not a good enough return. (for a player at the end of the contract) because if they did that it would signal, to even the most dense fan, the playoffs are out of the question.

New ticket deals.

A huge amount of talk about Utica  and the players in Utica and Boser and OJ and Demko, with none of them playing a NHL minute.

I mean, does it really matter how well Utica does? The Marlies have been very good for a lot of years and TO still sucked.

Injuries will be blamed.

One of the reason's to fire JB is because he delayed and didn't do what he should have in his first year, REBUILD, instead of lying to the fans and saying management thought they were a competitive playoff team. Sure they surprised everyone in the NHL and then embarrassed themselves by letting little known 4th liner, Ferland, run them out of the rink in a classic one and done. Repeating the same stuff will shine light on their deficiencies as hockey people and magnify that they are nothing more than salesmen trying to squeeze the money out of your pocket by selling hope. Just watch and listen to the sales pitch over the next couple of months. Listen to what they said last year, then hit repeat.

The first year, a collapse could have happened and the fans would have been okay with it because of the Linden factor and that they are all rookies, of course the reward might have been a lottery pick as well. The second year, the sales team could have been selling youth. This year any improvement, be it player or team, at all.

Goaltending (Markstrom and Demko) and defense were already almost a total lock already, especially with the way Hutton and Tryamkin performed, FORWARDS, namely top three types should have been sought so that year three the team is only two years behind Calgary, Edmonton and Arizona instead of waiting to be the team between those teams and SJ, LA, Anaheim and Vegas until the next blow it up occurs.

You should stop making threads buddy. 

Just now, ReggieBush said:

You should stop making threads buddy. 

IF, if you dared make a thread like this, expressing what you actually thought might happen or has happened before, what would it look like?

In July, you would be posting, that the Nucks are playoff bound? That most every "expert" in the game is wrong?

Would be posting what you hoped? What you saw?

Or

Would you just following whatever the management group told you to think?

Why should I stop making threads? Because they don't conform to your imaginary world?

How does a personal attack or insult add to this discussion? It only demonstrates a lack of imagination and reality on your part.

You shouldn't let others do your thinking for you.

"There are 3 kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence themselves."

I posted what I did and "touched" over 112 of you, to me that is a win.

32 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

The Negative rep is reflected by the obvious disinterest in prognostication. However it is not reflective of the reality that is unfolding before us. He was/is fairly close to the mark.

It is very bold to predict outcomes no one wants to imagine. Thinkers think, during the good times and the bad, they cant turn it off. Thinkers learn to see patterns and order while others see chaos and luck. Thinkers make sense of the details other people miss. For example you are busy trying to rub his nose in the -112 while you obviously seem to ignore that last july someone made a stand and was very close to predicting a situation that either noone else on this board did or they lacked the "balls" to express. Being unpopular is easy, tell the truth and in all likelikhood you will go against the crowd.

I dont understand how people redicule someones prediction when they have no way to prove that person wrong, Frankly its ignorant. Whats worse is not being humble enough to then go back and give credit where it is due. It would take a very small man to refuse to accept being wrong, small because he robs himself the possible growth of being wrong, learning and moving on a bigger person.

Some people want the truth so bad they would always choose a difficult reality over a comfortable lie. For them thats all there is, being wrong is just a part of searching for truth, only humility is required to move forward.

blah blah blah

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

IF, if you dared make a thread like this, expressing what you actually thought might happen or has happened before, what would it look like?

In July, you would be posting, that the Nucks are playoff bound? That most every "expert" in the game is wrong?

Would be posting what you hoped? What you saw?

Or

Would you just following whatever the management group told you to think?

Why should I stop making threads? Because they don't conform to your imaginary world?

How does a personal attack or insult add to this discussion? It only demonstrates a lack of imagination and reality on your part.

You shouldn't let others do your thinking for you.

"There are 3 kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence themselves."

I posted what I did and "touched" over 112 of you, to me that is a win.

I did not "Personally Attack you", I simply suggested that you stop making threads. 

You look at what Benning has done and say that he has failed as a GM(which is ridiculous). I look at it differently.

I see a very good talent evaluator coming in and revamping our prospect pool by both drafting and CFA signings. He has made trades giving us NHL ready players, with legitimate NHL talent with room to grow (Baer and Granny) and could very well become important pieces in the future of our franchise. And he has been doing this with his hands tied. Ownership want's to win, so he pleases ownership by building a team that looks like it can compete for the playoffs. BUT HERE IS THE KICKER, he ,unlike Gillis before him, is giving the franchise a plethora of young talented roster player and prospects that will help the Canucks compete in the future. So if he gets fired (Which is LUNACY) the next Vancouver Canuck team that will compete for the Stanley Cup will be a team built on Jim Benning Drafting, Developing and Trades.

48 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I did not "Personally Attack you", I simply suggested that you stop making threads. 

You look at what Benning has done and say that he has failed as a GM(which is ridiculous). I look at it differently.

I see a very good talent evaluator coming in and revamping our prospect pool by both drafting and CFA signings. He has made trades giving us NHL ready players, with legitimate NHL talent with room to grow (Baer and Granny) and could very well become important pieces in the future of our franchise. And he has been doing this with his hands tied. Ownership want's to win, so he pleases ownership by building a team that looks like it can compete for the playoffs. BUT HERE IS THE KICKER, he ,unlike Gillis before him, is giving the franchise a plethora of young talented roster player and prospects that will help the Canucks compete in the future. So if he gets fired (Which is LUNACY) the next Vancouver Canuck team that will compete for the Stanley Cup will be a team built on Jim Benning Drafting, Developing and Trades.

Did we need to give up the numerous seconds and thirds so JB could "fill the age gap" left by Gillis?  Maybe we could have signed UFAs like his first season, and saved the picks?  The way JB drafts, we would have 7 more really good prospects to discuss, rather than stuff about Vey, Baer, Pedan, Sutter etc.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Did we need to give up the numerous seconds and thirds so JB could "fill the age gap" left by Gillis?  Maybe we could have signed UFAs like his first season, and saved the picks?  The way JB drafts, we would have 7 more really good prospects to discuss, rather than stuff about Vey, Baer, Pedan, Sutter etc.

Would you like to have all our prospects shelled night after night?

Archived