The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penning A Love Letter To Gord & The Hip - Bob McKenzie

-DLC-

I know of another fairly significant Canadian artist who knows the Hip....she has NOTHING but love and admiration for them and says they are incredible people. 

Here's how Midnight Oil felt about their involvement with them (Another Roadside Attraction):

Then of course when we got to meet them and found out they were good people to have around, it added to the bloom.

The Hip are very thoughtful people. I remember having conversations with Gord that were not lightweight.

After that period, the mood of the band changed, both the material and eventually the fact that Downie started playing guitar on stage, which changed the dynamic entirely. He also talked to me about his concern for the women in the audience getting jostled by testosterone-heads.

A. It’s a hard thing. You make sure you take all the precautions. Managing mass popularity is never easy. You don’t entirely manage it; it manages you. There are some things you can do. Both [our] bands were on the side of ensuring that all women at a Tragically Hip performance should be accorded the same rights and respect as anyone else. Of course, at 9 o’clock at night in a crowd of 15,000 people who’ve had a few beers, it’s easier said than done.

Seems to me there was more to this than they were "mean to me".  There is a responsibility factoring in and you were part of that.  So rather than getting bent out of shape about it, maybe look beyond "you" and learn why they maybe took it seriously.

I experienced this, first hand.  I was nearly crushed by the surge in the front row at UBC....Gord actually is "on it", and points out things.  A security guy was alerted to my situation, gave me a nod that questioned "want out?" and I nodded back, yes.  He lifted me over the security fence to safety. 

It's a serious job and those who are concerned about how they're being treated may be missing something.  That's all.

I stand by the "not the time or place" but I've never heard/read/seen anything but absolutely positive things about this band. 

Olympics — CBC Olympic Games Primetime begins at 6 p.m. ET on CBC TV, CBC's Rio 2016 app and cbc.ca/olympics, featuring track and field finals. When the Tragically Hip concert begins at 8:30, tune to CBC TV to watch the performance. Or continue watching the live stream of the evening track and field competition on web/app to stay with the Rio competition. If you want to watch the track and field finals on TV, tune to Sportsnet One. Live streams for other sports, including women's volleyball gold medal match and taekwondo will be available online.

When something is so important it moves the Olympics. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe this should be a start of an experiment by the CBC, and have live bands every week. It would be inexpensive to produce. 

And it should would provide some good Canadian original content for a change. I do hope some money is being donated to cancer research.

Heck of an idea.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe this should be a start of an experiment by the CBC, and have live bands every week. It would be inexpensive to produce. 

And it should would provide some good Canadian original content for a change. I do hope some money is being donated to cancer research.

CBC (television) is the last channel I would trust for this sort of thing. Do they still air Rita MacNeil special (re-runs) 40 times a year?

Does CBC even air Canada's premier award ceremony, the Polaris Prize?

If not - there is your idea more set in stone: have a special performance of each band nominated for 'album of the year' by the Canadian press. 

CBC Radio does a fantastic job at introducing the Canadian arts - but the channel does an absolutely horrendous job. 

My cheeks are wet as I share this...it's hard to say goodbye.

There's a world container with your name on it
And a billion ways to go berserk
When the country quits on you it must be dinner
And the Himmler on this one is there's no dessert

He's the one who couldn't imagine
All the people living life in peace

Good news, you get to vanish
Go to Cleveland, be an indie smash
The good news is now you're smaller
The bad news is you can be smaller than that

Go suck some souls, be a reader, get used
Laugh at a funeral or two
Laugh and laugh till all the chameleons turn black
Laugh and laugh till you're told, "Please don't come back"

Then fake incredulous, say, "I just can't believe
How'd it get this late so early?"

Say, "Ain't life a grand" and, "I'm in awe of you all"
Then drop into your haunted bunk
Go to your touchless times, out where the water's drying
Go past the 'No Attractions Past This Point' sign

What you'll find there are all flaws in progress
Where all songs are one song and that song is Don't Forget
Yeah, all songs are one song and that song is Don't Forget

Yeah, I've faked incredulous, said, "I just can't believe
How'd it get this late so early?"

Said, "Ain't life a grand" and, "I'm in awe of you all"
I've dropped into my haunted bunk
Been to the touchless times, out where the water's drying
Been past the 'No Attractions Past This Point' sign

What we have here are all flaws in progress

On 02/08/2016 at 7:24 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Do you think that, perhaps, if you're doing security your job is to look elsewhere?   That the entire purpose of hiring security is so things are ... secure?  Which means keeping a keen eye on everything but the band/act?

Did they directly state this?  Seems so out of character.

My cousin was the head of ICM for a time and the key to longevity and being successful in that industry appears to be....not being in awe or distracted by the people hiring you.  Takes a special kind of person to remain professional when in that position.  To stay focused and not be starstruck.  So it maybe falls in line with that?

Whatever the case, this isn't the time/place.  Gord is terminal and this is a tribute...there is an old addage about having nothing nice to say.

Just reading this now..

Deb, Hand claps to you... You wrote what I was thinking...

Gord Downie is nothing short of a Canadian music legend and should be viewed nothing as the such. 

Tears come to my eyes as I see the reaction he gets from the band mates and the audience.

The world will mourn when his brain tumour takes him over.. Sniff..

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

What is wrong with the mix? Gord is turned up loud as are the drums. The guitars are way low.

Guess I shouldn't have expected much more from CBC.

I was going to say something that the audio never seemed to be balanced all night. Maybe it's just the acoustics of the building.

Archived