The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Cup of Hockey -- Positive or Negative for Canucks

shoeyj86

I've been thinking quite a bit about this and ultimately have come to the opinion that the WCH will be a huge positive for the Canucks this season, barring any injuries to our players in the tournament of course. I wanted to get a discussion going to see if others were of the same mindset on this topic or if they felt its mute...

We have 6 players representing two teams in the tournament:

Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Loui Eriksson

Jacob Markstrom
Jannik Hansen
Luca Sbisa

Pro 1:
Sedins-Eriksson (assuming they play together), get an opportunity to develop chemistry early on the season playing against the worlds best. 
We all remember how great the start was with Vrbata, based on the early chemistry they developed, its too bad Vrbata is a 1 dimensional player and that chemistry faded as quickly as it begun. Eriksson however is a much more well rounded player, so I think it'll take longer for teams to key in on tendencies this line develops, but they will also have many  more options as a line. 

Con 1:
The Sedins are no spring chickens, so the added mileage could seriously catch up to them by mid season and lead to injuries or poor finish. -- This to me hinges more on if the Canucks actually have secondary scoring show up in their roster to alleviate some pressure on the top line and alter some of their match ups. 

Pro 2:
Markstrom wont' play any meaningful games, but could get the nod ahead of Lehner, but I think we can all agree that being around that level of player for any amount of time will be a positive to his development and confidence headed into the season. We need Markstrom to be one of our best players this season if the Canucks are going anywhere. 

Con 2: 

Would Markstrom be better served with more 1 on 1 time honing his skills with Cloutier vs. riding the pine? -- I lean towards the tourny being more of a positive influence than missing to skills training with Clouts. 

Pro 3: 

Jannik Hansen has an opportunity to gain even more confidence playing in this tournament for Team Europe and will figure to be a key player for them and us. Hopefully this lends itself to a really good start that can be carried through the season. 

Con 3:
He's the honey badger...there really is no con to Hansen playing in this tourny short of him getting injured. 

Pro 4:
This to me has the potential to be biggest positive as far as this tournament is concerned and that is Luca Sbisa being part of team Europe. I will be watching his game very closely, as I think this could do wonders for him as a player and our team. He gets a lot of hate (at times from myself included), but it is not always so deserved. This tournament does a couple things if he as a good showing. First, obviously it could allow him to surpass Hutton in the top 4 on the left side because he has an opportunity to have a very strong start to the season. Secondly, if he has a strong tournament it could make him a very viable trading asset, not just a throw in like I've seen many times before. 

Con 4: 

Luca Sbisa has a terrible outing, which leads to a poor start, decreased confidence, and low trade value -- I think this is unlikely though. 
Anyway, I'm curious to get peoples thoughts on how this tournament could benefit or hurt (barring injuries to our players of course--since that's pretty obvious) the Canucks headed into the upcoming season. 

Thanks for reading my mini essay and input. Can't wait for season to get going! 

Nice post +1.

Overall I would have to agree that barring any serious injury the WC should help players get their legs going and their timing up to game speed before the start of the season. I also really like the chances of the Sedins playing with Eriksson. If they can get the chemistry going before the season even starts that's great, if not they will know before the season starts and can try Eriksson on another line with Hansen taking his spot again this year along side the twins.

The Sedins may be tired after playing 100+ games in 2016/17 (including the World Cup), and y'know when they get back to the SCF. :) The good news though, these players will be ready when Game 1 of the season starts. I expect a good start for the Canucks this year. Thing is, every other team has players in this tournament as well.

@Aircool We all have our opinions on what direction the team should go and what is needed to get us back to the SCF. I personally like what management is doing to reshape our roster and form a new identity, which Im of the opinion is the single most important thing any team can have. No team is successful in any sport without a singular identity with which all the players buy into. We had one, but lost it after 2011 and have never really had one since, but that is changing; TLJB are making sure of that. So, I'll ride it out and see what happens. 

@NUCKER67 I was thinking about the other teams having their players as well and good point. In our division however we are tied for 2nd with LA and ANA. That being said we have SO many question marks with our squad headed into the season I can only see this being a huge positive for us for the reasons I mentioned early, more so that the other teams in our division. I also think in order for us to stand a chance at the playoffs we have to get off to a really great start. 

good post.i agree with all the pro's,especially the sedins and leif ericksson,thats going to be a great line for a few years till the sedins retire.sbisa's game will improve,he's at that age physical D-men like him start to figure out the game as well as get stronger.hansen will have another great year,i can't believe people want to trade him.what for? 

I think long off-season + intense preseason (World Cup) might help the Sedin to get off to a red hot start in Vancouver. 

Even if they fade towards the end, if their hot start can give the Canucks enough early point they'll be able to hang on for a playoff spot.  Also a hot start, might help fire up our secondary scoring also with Horvat, Baerstchi, Sutter.   

Positive all around

1. Sedins getting good competition early get's their legs and hands going. There won't be a slow start from our 2 best players. As many people know, you won't be in the playoffs by December but you can be out of them. A slow start is hard to come back from, this helps us. Moreover, it continues to add to their respect around the league and more importantly within the room. The young kids see 2 - 35 year olds still considered by those who know hockey as 2 of the best. Maybe Virtanen and some of the young guys can take notice of this and what it takes to get to that level.

2. Sbisa- Confidence, playing with top players can only help his game. At worst, it helps his trade value. Personally, I think there is alot of upside in his game. I actually see him as being as good as Bieksa in his prime, he is only 24 alot of games to be played before he's in his prime at 29-33 as a dman.

3. Markstrom, learning from watching the King, playing elite players will only improve his game and get him ready early like the others.

4. Hansen, well that guy is the enigizer bunny so no impact there, and at worst, making the team again, helps his trade value if we aren't in a playoff position and want to move him at the deadline.

5 minutes ago, gino#29 said:

out of the 7 canadien teams only 2 players on team canada.both with montreal,weber and price.all other teams have more players from the 7 canadien teams.

Considering most of Team Canada were top 5 picks from 2002 to 2012 and that Canadians team had strong teams during that stretch with Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver going to the SCF and Montreal going on a few deep runs....it's was pretty much impossible for Canadian teams to draft top-end Canadian talent in the top 5 during that stretch.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Sedins may be tired after playing 100+ games in 2016/17 (including the World Cup), and y'know when they get back to the SCF. :) The good news though, these players will be ready when Game 1 of the season starts. I expect a good start for the Canucks this year. Thing is, every other team has players in this tournament as well.

My guess is most of the players in the World cup will get limited action in the preseason - its a positive in that regard as well as it gives the coaches/mgmt/fans a better look at the prospects.

Negative - this team still lives and dies by the offensive production of the twins.  They are long in the tooth and have shown a tendency to slow down late in seasons and with age comes the increased risk of injury.  The twins don't need pre-season tournaments to get ready to play.  They are in great shape, always, and chemistry is never an issue.

I think overall it should be good for the team and the game in general. 

Like you said, hopefully it'll help the twins and Loui build up chemistry. I don't think this'll affect any of their fitness levels for the remainder of the year a negative way. It's not as physical as nhl games, or at least I don't think it will be. 

Still baffled edler didn't get the nod. Sweden  brass makes questionable moves from time to time... Even leaving out hedman in sochi which was a huge wake up call for hedman. Edler though, I don't think will be phased. He'll continue to train in van and seriously why would anyone chose to be in Toronto over Vancouver? In any time of year. I would have preferred if he was on the team though. 

As for lu and Hansen, it'll just be entertaining to watch them play. I expect good things from both. 

All in all, should be a good tournament. I'm %100 behind team Sweden, then world, then Canada. 

Would be nice to see Marky steal the #1 job from Henrik. 

Nice post!

With so many slow starts we have had in the past, I think it's all good to get guys like Henrik and Daniel going early on. The main thing is that none of our players get injured there. And opposed to what you say about the Twins age and how it might slow them down at some point - they are the fittest and well trained guys on the team on a yearly basis, so I personally am not worried about that.

Positive! It's going get everyone going much quicker than the usual camps. Players not going to the World Cup will need to raise their compete and be ready quicker than normal. The WC is raising the bar. Won't be any room for complacency whatsoever. That's a good thing.

By the time our players return from the tournament, they'll be ready to get going. And if Willie's on the ball, he'll be setting the expectations higher for guys to be ready to compete. I hope he's contacted every single player on the team and said, look, here's the deal. Everyone needs to be ready to go from Game 1 of the season because our World Cup guys are setting the bar. 

Consider the World Cup a good kick in the pants that we need! 

Archived