The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks expose Sutter for the expansion draft?

Bandwagon38

37 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Minus the 20 goals. And taking face offs. And playing 2C. But sure other than that eh :P

Gaunce is being retooled as a future 3rd line shutdown guy if anything. He might become our 3C if he starts taking more face-offs. 

Ha ha - too funny

Comparing a seasoned vet to a  rookie.

Fact is Gaunce has put up similar numbers throughout his development. 

Don't let the facts get in the way . 

PS - by the way  Sutter is not a  2 C 

27 minutes ago, Katobaron said:

Players who make more than Sutter:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins @ 6 mil

Tomas Plekanec @ 6 mil

Brandon Dubinsky @ 5.8 mil

Dave Bolland @ 5.5 mil (wow)

THOSE are bad contracts. Brandon Sutter isn't overpaid, he's just paid enough to centre a rebuilding west coast franchise with no cups and the fish eye lens of a Canadian market. 

Wow you just proved that Sutter may be the 5th worst contract in the league... Well done...

LOL just joking. Its not in that category. Just an overpayment with too much term. 

Real problem with Sutters deal is more about too much term .

Spend some time looking for centres on better contracts than Sutter....

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ha ha - too funny

What are you talking about?...Sutter as a 21/22 year old was putting up solid numbers for Carolina..There's no comparison.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow you just proved that Sutter may be the 5th worst contract in the league... Well done...

LOL just joking. Its not in that category. Just an overpayment with too much term. 

Real problem with Sutters deal is more about too much term .

Spend some time looking for centres on better contracts than Sutter....

There's more to a contract than just age and points. How high were they drafted, are they a locker room leader, what have they done for the team, what does the team need them to do and one of the most underrated aspects... What were other teams willing to pay. If you were to auction off an average second/stellar third line centre who can play PP, PK, lead a team in faceoffs, be a team player, bring playoff experience, have a physical presence along the boards, fight for position in front of the net and play against the other teams top line then I'm pretty sure the bidding war would land in the 5-5.5 mil range. 

14 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Depending what Benning gets done by the TDL, should we bait Vegas with Sutter along with his big contract and make sure that Baerschi and Granlund stay protected?  I like Sutter but I think we know exactly what we have in him where Baer and Granlund have more to give.  Also, I am not sure Vegas takes him so we keep all of our forwards and lose Biega or Spiza.

OP, you have one sleazy troll backing you up and a whole bunch of Canucks fans kicking sand on you and making fun of you. Does that answer your question?

42 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ha ha - too funny

Better tell Willie Sutter isn't a 2C

But really tho, Gaunce is turning into a very good defensive player - there was a canucks army review this year detailing how good he's becoming at shot suppression. He may never find his offensive game at the NHL level but could be very good as a shut down C.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Better tell Willie Sutter isn't a 2C

But really tho, Gaunce is turning into a very good defensive player - there was a canucks army review this year detailing how good he's becoming at shot suppression. He may never find his offensive game at the NHL level but could be very good as a shut down C.

Gaunce is a great skater. Great defensive skills.   

He had solid offensive numbers in junior.

I am hopefully his offence starts to develop at the NHL level and he can move up the lineup.

Sutter's offensive skills  are not that good really. Yes, he can pot some goals off the rush  but the guy doesn't make his linemates better with his passing/assists etc...

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

What are you talking about?...Sutter as a 21/22 year old was putting up solid numbers for Carolina..There's no comparison.

Sutter had 1 goal in his first 50 NHL games.

Gaunce has 1 goal in 69 NHL games.

Takes time / games for players to learn how to produce in the NHL

Sutter was signed as a placeholder until Bo could be a solid 2C.

That time went by quickly and Bo is ready for full time 2 C.

Sutter is becoming redundant as hopefully Gaunce can soon be our 3 C.

Give Gaunce more time. I think you may be pleasantly  surprised......

How did the Penguins ever win the cup without Sutter?  If Vegas did take him and we kept all of our defense we could easily flip a defensman to get a better 3C.   Orrrrrr if we all think that 4.25 mill is a fair price for a 3C then there will be many available to us as UFAs.  That's IF Vegas takes him.  Forget Gaunce, Granlund is trending to be able to fill a vacancy left by Sutter.  Smaller but plays with just as much grit, similar points and several years younger.  Reminds me of Peca.

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter had 1 goal in his first 50 NHL games.

Gaunce has 1 goal in 69 NHL games.

Takes time / games for players to learn how to produce in the NHL

Sutter was signed as a placeholder until Bo could be a solid 2C.

That time went by quickly and Bo is ready for full time 2 C.

Sutter is becoming redundant as hopefully Gaunce can soon be our 3 C.

Give Gaunce more time. I think you may be pleasantly  surprised......

Sutter scored 1 goal in 50 games at the ripe age of 19,...Brendan Gaunce will be 23 in a month from now.

At 23 years old Sutter scored 17g 15a 29pts for Carolina...

Sutter is becoming redundant for Brendan Gaunce?:huh:

10 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Sutter scored 1 goal in 50 games at the ripe age of 19,...Brendan Gaunce will be 23 in a month from now.

At 23 years old Sutter scored 17g 15a 29pts for Carolina...

Sutter is becoming redundant for Brendan Gaunce?:huh:

Clearly Gaunce is not ready right now to replace Sutter right now....

The thought is that Gaunce is still developing and it will be interesting to see what his offensive ceiling is at the NHL level.

Great skater . Great Defensive skills and has solid offensive production in both Jr and AHL levels. 

Hoping Gaunce can elevate his game next season for the Canucks offensively. 

17 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Depending what Benning gets done by the TDL, should we bait Vegas with Sutter along with his big contract and make sure that Baerschi and Granlund stay protected?  I like Sutter but I think we know exactly what we have in him where Baer and Granlund have more to give.  Also, I am not sure Vegas takes him so we keep all of our forwards and lose Biega or Spiza.

Nooooooooooooooo

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gaunce is a great skater. Great defensive skills.   

He had solid offensive numbers in junior.

I am hopefully his offence starts to develop at the NHL level and he can move up the lineup.

Sutter's offensive skills  are not that good really. Yes, he can pot some goals off the rush  but the guy doesn't make his linemates better with his passing/assists etc...

I like what Sutter brings. Wins face offs, like you say is a threat to score, can play 3C or 2C in an emergency, and is also a good OT performer, and is a good defensive player. He brings a lot to the table and makes life easier for guys like Hansen. I dunno, i think you're undervaluing him. 

Archived