The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks expose Sutter for the expansion draft?

Bandwagon38

Heck no. Trade Hansen and protect Sutter, Baer and Granlund. We might loose Gaunce (that would suck) but we could give up a 3rd to protect him possibly. 

Trade Edler or Tanev too.  Then our exposure to LV is Gaunce, Dorsett, Beiga, Bachman. We can take back a cap dump/expansion draft fodder back in any trade if possible. 

Way better than giving up a 26 y/o 20g scoring second/third line RH center that plays a solid 2 way game. 

7 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Depending what Benning gets done by the TDL, should we bait Vegas with Sutter along with his big contract and make sure that Baerschi and Granlund stay protected?  I like Sutter but I think we know exactly what we have in him where Baer and Granlund have more to give.  Also, I am not sure Vegas takes him so we keep all of our forwards and lose Biega or Spiza.

Are you serious? Do you even watch the games? We are going to expose the one (of two) guys who gets us possession of the puck. Nice.

No more threads for you if this is what you come up with.

7 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I wouldn't expose him, I would rather to expose Edler instead as he has NTC and is not a good value while Sutter has a good value for other club down in the road if we need to make a move.  Edler has good value but no value when it comes to future Edler's trade as he is a very loyal guy to Canucks organization and would rather to stay here.  So dare him to expose and make Vegas decide which Edler or Granlund or Baerstchi.  IMO, Edler has more value to Vegas than both of forwards we have now because Edler would want to get out of Vegas asap and will get more value for Vegas than Canucks.   The Canucks could in theory make a trade with Vegas agreeing not to select Granlund or Baertschi for a pick and/or one or two prospects, one via selection and one via direct trade or pick.   We do not have much in term of depth on our veterans but we have a lot to lose in term of our young pro that is exposed for a future potential such as Subban, and others.    

I am ok if the Canucks did this.  Edler would be picked up for sure and the fan base could move on...We know he's untradable given his public stance on the idea of waving.  More cap space could come in handy with guys like Shattenkirk coming available.

I think we need Sutter to help form our identity going forward.  So no chance I would expose him...  Sutter does all the little things and is a good foundation piece to have depth at center.  He is not a true #1C but he can play against and shut them down.  He is a Kesler lite IMO, but without the cheap shots.  Not overpaid IMO, he would be a huge value to a team in the playoffs.  I just know he is a playoff style player.   He is a Sutter after all...

3 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Are teams able to expose a player for the expantion draft if they will waive their nmc for the expantion draft? IE we ask LE to waive it and we expose him. If we are lucky Vagas takes him and if not at least we dont lose a forward. That would be awesome. 

You can ask him to waive it for the draft. I can't imagine he would though

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about we expose Horvat too? I mean he's approaching FA, and we could use the money on someone else.... (sarcasm)

CDC never fails to amaze me. I normally don't use the minus button. That's usually reserved for the likes of TheGuardian's posts. 

Thanks I lolled at that:rolleyes:

When the Sedins retire, and that's coming, who do they have for top 6 C?  Bo Horvat and Sutter. 

I'm fairly certain that Benning will pick a C with his first round pick this year but he could be 3,4,5 years before he's ready for top 6 duty.  Sutter is an important piece in Bennings transition plan.

No Sutter brings a lot to the table than just points. The biggest difference a player like Sutter brings over a lot of the fringe players Canucks fans are used to, is pure hockey sense, Sutter can make plays at both ends of the ice. Sutter's face offs, instincts and positioning make him an effective player in many different situations and that makes him invaluable compared to players like Bear and Granlund. IF the canucks make the playoffs this year or next guys like Sutter can win games for us with their overall play.

Archived