The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strategy vs. Tactics

JamesB

Canuck Strategy and Tactics  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 01/03/2017 at 2:25 PM, Alflives said:

Twins, Edler, Tanev, Burr, and Hansen all (until this TDL) are left over from the old core group - led by the twins.  Kesler was part of the old core, who demanded a trade.  JB was (until this TDL) retooling around the old core.  Now he is rebuilding.

If people actually listened to him speak after the Hansen trade he said he gave the old core a chance. The Sedins were still good top 10 in NHL points in 2015 so they didnt blow up the team.

He said basically reading between the lines that it's one the young guys took over now.

Linden and Benning are not dumb they see the Sedins regression now and in hindsight they probably should have not gave Eriksson the term he got.

How they got here is the past let's worry about a good future now going ahead with good moves for the present.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Even TL, on the radio earlier today (or late last night) didn't use the word 'rebuild'.  Management is still refusing to openly state they are doing anything more than 'retool'.  We shall see this summer if their actions are ones of retooling (signing another older UFA to term, like Errikson, to supplement the old core) or actions of rebuilding (trading away more of the old core, like Edler)  I still don't 100% trust this management group to rebuild, while we have the Twins.

Did he say "retool"? Have they ever said "retool"? I'm guessing not. If they haven't actually said "retool" and they haven't said "rebuild" then I guess we're not doing anything. We must just be sitting still because they haven't come out and said it for the fans too stupid to realize what's going on.

Alf, the ""old core" is now the Sedins (who we know aren't going anywhere) and Edler. Three players left from the 2011 core. Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows we're rebuilding. Just because it's not the clean house all at once and completely tank rebuild you guys wants doesn't mean it's not a rebuild. Retooling is replacing a few pieces to revitalize the core. After 3 years 85% of the team has been replaced. But we're not rebuilding. lmao

Hmm, declining old core + no prospect pool....what are they going to do? It's a head scratcher. This is a rebuild Alf, and has been since Benning started.

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Doesn't matter whether JB wanted to, he had too and Kesler was the first of the core to be moved

I disagree.  It's the philosophy of the retool vs. the philosophy of the rebuild.  JB was supporting the former, until this TDL.

Just now, Alflives said:

I disagree.  It's the philosophy of the retool vs. the philosophy of the rebuild.  JB was supporting the former, until this TDL.

Wrong, he was dealing with the cards he was dealt. The team he was handed was handcuffed from day one and anyone who know's the Canucks new it would take a few years to dismantle the core because of no trade contracts and the fact Benning has respect for players and their contracts

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Wrong, he was dealing with the cards he was dealt. The team he was handed was handcuffed from day one and anyone who know's the Canucks new it would take a few years to dismantle the core because of no trade contracts and the fact Benning has respect for players and their contracts

Please explain the Erickson signing, from the rebuilding POV. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Please explain the Erickson signing, from the rebuilding POV. 

The fact he probably planned on loosing a few more vets this year knowing maybe the Sedins won't play past their contract next year he knows we must have quality vets to guide our youth. Now I know every expert on CDC feels LE is a bad deal, really if its points your looking at he has not had a great year but once again if you listen to JB or TL he brings more to the table then just points. He's a quality guy with great leadership on and off the ice and I bet JB talks with LE and if he wants to move to a contender at anytime during his contract with us all he has to do is say the word. I am also sure his numbers will come around and improve along with the teams improvements over the next few years. Everyone was for the most part happy when we signed him and if we didn't get at least him that off season people especially here on CDC would have been calling for Benning's head. Sit back and watch the team come together over the next few years, and for now let us get a great position in the draft  and trad e a top 4 d man for more picks to fill out our top 6.

48 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

The fact he probably planned on loosing a few more vets this year knowing maybe the Sedins won't play past their contract next year he knows we must have quality vets to guide our youth. Now I know every expert on CDC feels LE is a bad deal, really if its points your looking at he has not had a great year but once again if you listen to JB or TL he brings more to the table then just points. He's a quality guy with great leadership on and off the ice and I bet JB talks with LE and if he wants to move to a contender at anytime during his contract with us all he has to do is say the word. I am also sure his numbers will come around and improve along with the teams improvements over the next few years. Everyone was for the most part happy when we signed him and if we didn't get at least him that off season people especially here on CDC would have been calling for Benning's head. Sit back and watch the team come together over the next few years, and for now let us get a great position in the draft  and trad e a top 4 d man for more picks to fill out our top 6.

I am not saying the LE signing was good or bad.  I'm saying that his signing was the action of a retool, not a rebuild.  At the time of the signing, we had a lot of older guys as leaders.  Even if JB planned on moving Burrows and Hansen, we still had the Twins, Edler, Tanev, Dorsett, Sutter, and an emerging Bo and Baer.  That's plenty of experience to guide any young guys.  IMHAO the rebuild is starting now.  Before now, it was a retool.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I am not saying the LE signing was good or bad.  I'm saying that his signing was the action of a retool, not a rebuild.  At the time of the signing, we had a lot of older guys as leaders.  Even if JB planned on moving Burrows and Hansen, we still had the Twins, Edler, Tanev, Dorsett, Sutter, and an emerging Bo and Baer.  That's plenty of experience to guide any young guys.  IMHAO the rebuild is starting now.  Before now, it was a retool.

Ya anyway you want to put it is fine with me, I think its all going according to plan, they tried to compete with what they had even with an injection of youth but now with the reality the time has come and at least no one (including our owners) can say JB and TL didn't try. The players made the decission easy for Jim

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya anyway you want to put it is fine with me, I think its all going according to plan, they tried to compete with what they had even with an injection of youth but now with the reality the time has come and at least no one (including our owners) can say JB and TL didn't try. The players made the decission easy for Jim

Agreed 110%  I'm really looking forward to seeing the young guys!  The best part of this season, for me, has been watching Tryamkin, Bo, and Stecher.  

19 hours ago, spur1 said:

So what is your point.

The fact remains he did trade the whiner Kesler. 

And then traded Bieksa, and then moved on from Hamhuis, and then...

None of this is a new development. The old core has been moved piece by piece for some time. It's not just the odd piece as you'd expect as a regular course of business, but a systematic approach.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually, it's the idea of the varying levels of a rebuild/retool vs the idea of a full on tank that people seem to have trouble with around here. They want to equate a rebuild with a tank, when teams rebuild all the time without resorting to a tank.

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

I don't care what it's called and I don't care when it started.  I care about the now and the future. The past is not worth worrying about.

Yup, we could go that way to. Then we wouldn't need threads like "Time for Anti-Tankers to Face the Truth" in reply to the older "Time for Tankers to Face the Truth" in reply to the ...

We aren't tanking, not intentionally at least. Let's just get over it.

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And then traded Bieksa, and then moved on from Hamhuis, and then...

None of this is a new development. The old core has been moved piece by piece for some time. It's not just the odd piece as you'd expect as a regular course of business, but a systematic approach.

Actually, it's the idea of a rebuild/retool vs the idea of a full on tank that people seem to have trouble with around here. They want to equate a rebuild with a tank, when teams rebuild all the time without resorting to a tank.

Retool and rebuild are different philosophies.  Tank is a tool used by teams to get the best chance at selecting highest in the draft, isn't it?  Like what the Leafs clearly did last season to get Matthews.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

4929feacd3b19cf14b28e6101a45ed86.jpg

lol... yeah, that's great for the guys running the team but since we are nothing but fans, what WE call the past few years or when WE think it started or didn't start doesn't make a crap load of difference.

Archived