The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gun shots outside UK parliament

Bizarre

2 hours ago, Bo053 said:

lol @ comparing some muricans that are a few fries short of a happy meal to people that follow an ideology that wants to destroy western civilization

Lol at scared Americans more afraid of some bogey man than what's actually killing them all the time. 

5 minutes ago, inane said:

Lol at scared Americans more afraid of some bogey man than what's actually killing them all the time. 

Yes, odds of being directly impacted by terrorism here in NA are quite low, and we are more likely to be attacked by family or street criminals.  

Look at the gun debate down here.  How many people want the government to take big steps to help prevent mass shootings, by criminalizing certain rifles and magazine sizes?  Now, compare mass shooting incidents involving legally owned larger weapons against deaths by handguns (legally or illegally owned).  Just like people are considerably more likely to die by domestic violence than terrorism, we are also considerably more at risk at being killed by a handgun than a semi-auto rifle.  That doesn't mean that the lesser causes should be ignored.

The fact that there are more deaths due to everyday crime or domestic issues as compared with terrorism doesn't matter, because all those other things were already happening as part of our everyday lives.  Terrorism from external sources appears to be on the rise, and this is something the government is supposed to help protect us all from.  Sure, it's still small in the grand scheme of our lives, but it is far from a laughing matter, especially if it continues to worsen.

1 hour ago, inane said:

The cost of terrorism as measured in lives can be dismissed if you like, but the cost in societal norms and dollars is undeniable.

14 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yes, odds of being directly impacted by terrorism here in NA are quite low, and we are more likely to be attacked by family or street criminals.  

Look at the gun debate down here.  How many people want the government to take big steps to help prevent mass shootings, by criminalizing certain rifles and magazine sizes?  Now, compare mass shooting incidents involving legally owned larger weapons against deaths by handguns (legally or illegally owned).  Just like people are considerably more likely to die by domestic violence than terrorism, we are also considerably more at risk at being killed by a handgun than a semi-auto rifle.  That doesn't mean that the lesser causes should be ignored.

The fact that there are more deaths due to everyday crime or domestic issues as compared with terrorism doesn't matter, because all those other things were already happening as part of our everyday lives.  Terrorism from external sources appears to be on the rise, and this is something the government is supposed to help protect us all from.  Sure, it's still small in the grand scheme of our lives, but it is far from a laughing matter, especially if it continues to worsen.

As long as there are those who feel taken advantage of (whether true or not) there will be these horrific terrorist attacks.  This is akin to civil war, only on a global scale.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As long as there are those who feel taken advantage of (whether true or not) there will be these horrific terrorist attacks.  This is akin to civil war, only on a global scale.  

Good point, although I think there are additional motivations that people can have, too.

13 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Good point, although I think there are additional motivations that people can have, too.

True enough, but most often there is a controlled message that takes advantage of the people.  Don't the leaders of these terrorist groups often manipulate (almost brainwash) their followers with propaganda?  This is why I see a global civil war being fought between those who have (us) and those who are most easily manipulated- those who see us with so much, while they have so little. 

To consider the true threat of terrorism, you also have to factor in all the attacks that didn't happen. If you were to remove all safety protocols and investigations, you'd see the real threat of terrorism, and it's quite real. 

51 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

The cost of terrorism as measured in lives can be dismissed if you like, but the cost in societal norms and dollars is undeniable.

Yeah we wouldn't have that fancy colour coded threat chart! 

6 hours ago, inane said:

I'm not sure they're afraid of them they just don't want them in their Country. As you pointed out they have enough killings without the never ending terrorist attacks.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why do you never accept terrorist attacks by Muslims is an issue?

Me personally?

Because they never take terrorist attacks by white males/christians in the US as terrorist attacks but the moment anyone is less than pale it's an attack

I'll take them all as the media reports the majority to be

An act of a person with mental issues.  As I believe anyone who believes in magical sky faieries must be.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Agreed.

My favorite part of this story was when his church said he was a good man

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/02/24/Kansas-man-shouting-get-out-of-my-country-shoots-kills-man-from-India-police-say/3521487917970/

You know...religion PERIOD

which story? did he shoot the man and praised God like the way islamic terrorists praise allah after killing somebody.

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Me personally?

Because they never take terrorist attacks by white males/christians in the US as terrorist attacks but the moment anyone is less than pale it's an attack

An act of a person with mental issues.  As I believe anyone who believes in magical sky faieries must be.

yes those who built the western society are mentally ill for using the 10 commandments of God, as its foundation. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Me personally?

You must have slept through when McVeigh, Rudolph, Kaczynski, Konopka etc. got convicted of terrorism.

Nice try !

7 hours ago, inane said:

Yeah we wouldn't have that fancy colour coded threat chart! 

Wikipedia

In a 2007 Pew Research poll in response to a question on whether suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets to defend Islam could be justified,[30] in Europe:

• (36 vs 64) 64% of Muslims in France believed it could never be justified, 19% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
  • (30 vs 70) 70% of Muslims in Britain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 12% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
  • (17 vs 83) 83% of Muslims in Germany believed it could never be justified, 6% believed it could be justified rarely, 6% sometimes, and 1% thought it could be justified often.
  • (31 vs 69) 69% of Muslims in Spain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.

In mainly Muslim countries:

• (55 vs 45) 45% of Muslims in Egypt believed it could never be justified, 25% believed it could be justified rarely, 20% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
  • (39 vs 61) 61% of Muslims in Turkey believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 14% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
  • (57 vs 43) 43% of Muslims in Jordan believed it could never be justified, 28% believed it could be justified rarely, 24% sometimes, and 5% thought it could be justified often.
  • (72 vs 28) 28% of Muslims in Nigeria believed it could never be justified, 23% believed it could be justified rarely, 38% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
  • (31 vs 69) 69% of Muslims in Pakistan believed it could never be justified, 8% believed it could be justified rarely, 7% sometimes, and 7% thought it could be justified often.
  • (29 vs 71) 71% of Muslims in Indonesia believed it could never be justified, 18% believed it could be justified rarely, 8% sometimes, and 2% thought it could be justified often

The number of terrorist victim killed by Islamists in the US far outnumbered the number of people killed by white male terrorists.

Just 9/11 there were 2996 people killed.   Adding up all the people killed by white male terrorists and you won't get close to 2996.

Archived