The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Day After. Draft or Trade?

TheGuardian_

The Day After. Draft or Trade?  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For all those that want to deal Tanev - who would you rather have to 'mentor' guys like Juolevi into the league?  

I'm all for accumulating/stockpiling picks; but you want to avoid the Oiler situation of a few years ago (where you had nothing but #1 overalls but no vets).

As for getting shafted in this draft...meh, as a Canuckfan - you're used to it.  Good thing is, it would've felt A TON WORSE had this happened last year (weak draft this year).

It did happen last year.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Draft a really good dman at 5.

Dump Erikkson and Eddy. Pretty simple. 

Get 2018 picks. 1st overall is nice but I want picks in the top 100. I want more picks than any other team. This is our biggest down fall.

One year LA had 10 picks is the top 100. Then they won.

What year was that?

Most I could find in the past decade was 6 picks in the top 100 (2008). They had 10 picks in the top 200 in 2009. One of them was Vey, who has played more NHL games than 5 others combined from that draft. The closest thing to an impact player from that draft is Schenn (5th overall) who played 9 games for LA. Clifford has played the most games for LA from that draft and his career high season is 15 points.

Is that the draft year you're holding up as the reason the Kings won the cup?

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Here are the odds on #1 or #2 overall over the last three years for finishing dead last.

1.         2.          3.         4.

2014 - 25% - 100% -

2015 - 20% - 100% -

2016 - 20% - 17.5% - 15.0% - 47.5%

2017 - 18% - 16.0% - 14.1% - 52%

Of course the odds of moving down went up remarkably, from moving down one spot to moving down three.

Wow!  How can the NHL justify swinging so far the other way to punishing the bad teams.  That is crazy.  How do you think Buffalo would have felt if they not only lost out on McDavid but missed out on Eichel as well because they had higher odds to pick 3rd or 4th.  I predict the NHL changes the current set up back to something similar to 2015.  The current system feels like a slap in the face.  You would never see the NFL pull something like that.  The NHL is a joke.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

...Draft...

Come on guys, knock this whining crap off stop fearing the worst and stop complaining.

It happened, again; so what.

Draft best center at 5.

Trade Tanev or Edler for a pick ranged 8 to 18, and addition pick/prospect(s)

Draft best defenseman at that pick

Finish worst in the leagu by 7 points next year

Draft 4th after the lottery

Repeat.

We're going to be bad to mediocre until 2020-2021 at the earliest.  Big deal, price to pay sometimes for being at, near or on top for over a decade

But trading UP would be about the stupidest thing we could do.  I am going to find it amusing how over the last few weeks if the Canucks won, that pick trading down wasn't going to garner more than a 2nd, but now will cost us horvat the sedins AND our first to jump up to 1st or 2nd.

Keep the pick, draft the player, trade for improvements.

Nice hit!.......you summarized this to a tee!

How about managements waits to see what happens at the expansion draft.  There are bound to be teams negotiating to try and protect players and there may well be some gems available through trades.  When the dust has settled management will be in a better position to assess what the team needs are.

Keep the pick, pick the BPA or BDA (best defenseman available).  We can always trade a defenseman for forward at later date that other team might covet or trade down to draft a best defenseman available and get additional second round pick and hope for 3 or 4 NHLers from this draft if CBJ decides to give us 2nd this year within first two rounds and maybe a bonus win from 3rd round pick is the best we could hope for.  

59 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Wow!  How can the NHL justify swinging so far the other way to punishing the bad teams.  That is crazy.  How do you think Buffalo would have felt if they not only lost out on McDavid but missed out on Eichel as well because they had higher odds to pick 3rd or 4th.  I predict the NHL changes the current set up back to something similar to 2015.  The current system feels like a slap in the face.  You would never see the NFL pull something like that.  The NHL is a joke.

Blame the teams that have been intentionally tanking for years. This is the leagues answer to it.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For all those that want to deal Tanev - who would you rather have to 'mentor' guys like Juolevi into the league?  

I'm all for accumulating/stockpiling picks; but you want to avoid the Oiler situation of a few years ago (where you had nothing but #1 overalls but no vets).

As for getting shafted in this draft...meh, as a Canuckfan - you're used to it.  Good thing is, it would've felt A TON WORSE had this happened last year (weak draft this year).

This whole idea that you have to keep your aging players around to show the young guys the ropes is over inflated. Who's mentoring Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner,  Morgan Reilly, and  Jake Gardner? Babcock is. You draft good character kids and get yourself a no nonsense coach like Babcock and suddenly its not even an issue. If Babcock was in Edmonton 7 years ago they never would've been in position to draft McDavid.

As much as I like Tanev the time to trade him is now. He could land the Canucks a solid #2 center to pair with Bo and or he could get them a 1st round pick to use on a young defenseman in this years draft. Tanev will be what 31 or 32 when the Canucks are knocking on the door again? Gotta strike while the irons hot

45 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I believe in some type of lottery... they have just taken it to far.

To be honest I don't think teams outside the bottom ten should have a shot at top three. Include them in the lottery but they only get to move up 5 spots. Everybody in the bottom 10 has a shot at top three.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

What year was that?

Most I could find in the past decade was 6 picks in the top 100 (2008). They had 10 picks in the top 200 in 2009. One of them was Vey, who has played more NHL games than 5 others combined from that draft. The closest thing to an impact player from that draft is Schenn (5th overall) who played 9 games for LA. Clifford has played the most games for LA from that draft and his career high season is 15 points.

Is that the draft year you're holding up as the reason the Kings won the cup?

Yep....you got me I was wrong. Aplogize.

They had 10 picks overall a few years but not in the top 100.

My point is that you need lots of picks to increase your drafting odds and you have to draft players other than Drew Daughty. Daughty is the easy pick, the fringe players are where you add value.

Linden Vey is a prime example. Although a borderline NHL player he was a decent depth guy that the Kings traded for a 2nd rounder.

So were Dwight King, Wayne Simmonds, Jonathon Quick, Jordan Nolan, Kyle Clifford etc.

You have to add value with the picks.

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yep....you got me I was wrong. Aplogize.

They had 10 picks overall a few years but not in the top 100.

My point is that you need lots of picks to increase your drafting odds and you have to draft players other than Drew Daughty. Daughty is the easy pick, the fringe players are where you add value.

Linden Vey is a prime example. Although a borderline NHL player he was a decent depth guy that the Kings traded for a 2nd rounder.

So were Dwight King, Wayne Simmonds, Jonathon Quick, Jordan Nolan, Kyle Clifford etc.

You have to add value with the picks.

I had no problem with trading 2nds for Vey and Baertschi. Both were still prospects that had been through the AHL development. Using the 2nd doesn't come with any guarantees and you're waiting 3 to 5 years to find out if you picked a Vey, a Baertschi, or a complete bust. Trading those 2nds just sped that process up. It was needed at the time because of our complete lack of NHL ready youth. I didn't have a problem with that.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

To be honest I don't think teams outside the bottom ten should have a shot at top three. Include them in the lottery but they only get to move up 5 spots. Everybody in the bottom 10 has a shot at top three.

Agreed.  But, I'd take it further so that the lottery is only for the 1st overall pick.  Forget this lottery for the top three picks.  The worst teams shouldn't drop 3 spots if they are unlucky.

Archived