The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Not picking on anybody, just really interesting & funny how we respond to the moment. What a panic if you go back to page 27 about half way down. lol. Too funny.  ::D

It was all about Vilardi or Glass including myself.  What 7 months can do.  Patience is a virtue.

Glass is still that big center that we have always wanted and I would probably still take him over Pettersson. It will be interesting to see how Pettersson handles the nhl. He has impressed me to this point and he looks like offensively he might be the best of the draft.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Glass is still that big center that we have always wanted and I would probably still take him over Pettersson. It will be interesting to see how Pettersson handles the nhl. He has impressed me to this point and he looks like offensively he might be the best of the draft.

How is he that big center that we have always wanted?

He's 6'2" 179...

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How is he that big center that we have always wanted?

He's 6'2" 179...

Glass and Pettersson and completely different builds. Glass will put on weight and end up 200 plus where it is common knowledge that Pettersson is a very  slight build and will struggle to put on much weight. He may never be more than 180 to 185. If their lucky.

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Glass and Pettersson and completely different builds. Glass will put on weight and end up 200 plus where it is common knowledge that Pettersson is a very  slight build and will struggle to put on much weight. He may never be more than 180 to 185. If their lucky.

Yeah there's no arguing glass will probably be bigger. Still doesn't make him a big center. Won't even make him bigger than our top center as of now lol

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah there's no arguing glass will probably be bigger. Still doesn't make him a big center. Won't even make him bigger than our top center as of now lol

I guess it depends on what you call big. 205, verses 175 is a big difference. Pettersson was barely 165 when drafted. He will always be very slight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-18 at 9:31 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Not picking on anybody, just really interesting & funny how we respond to the moment. What a panic if you go back to page 27 about half way down. lol. Too funny.  ::D

It was all about Vilardi or Glass including myself.  What 7 months can do.  Patience is a virtue.

Only saw this now but I had been meaning to find my first post after the pick.  Its crazy how a tiny bit of knowledge swung my opinion 180 Degrees. Too funny you got me lol:lol: I guess thats why Benning is the GM instead of me! Cheers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2018 at 8:12 AM, appleboy said:

I guess it depends on what you call big. 205, verses 175 is a big difference. Pettersson was barely 165 when drafted. He will always be very slight.

This isn't true (at all).  His frame and height are set but he can definitely build muscle mass and get somewhat "bulkier/bigger".  He can add to that frame.

There are certain body types for sure and that will have some degree of impact on how much bigger.  But to say "very slight" isn't necessarily true.

To be fair to the posters being quoted above even the pros that rank the prospects would probably re-think things if they knew what he was going to do this year in the SEL.

Look at where Elias was ranked by multiple sources..most of these guys had Vilardi and or Glass ahead of him..:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Edited by Darius71

4 hours ago, Darius71 said:

To be fair to the posters being quoted above even the pros that rank the prospects would probably re-think things if they knew what he was going to do this year in the SEL.

Look at where Elias was ranked by multiple sources..most of these guys had Vilardi and or Glass ahead of him..:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Just goes to show that maybe we should trust Benning a bit more. This is his bread and butter. 

• Upvote 3

Yup. Benning is the man. I wanted Glass myself but wasn't upset he picked Pettersson. I haven't gotten any of Benning's first rounders right so wasn't shocked with the pick. Now if Benning ever picks the guy I like, that is when I will really start to second guess him.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If you're looking for the reactions when Pettersson was selected, it starts on Page 27.

You know what I typically find when I look back to big event reactions? Most of the undeserved negative feedback comes from the influx of users we have around the draft and FA and TDL. Rarely do you see a "frequent flyer" like you or agent (then JR) lose their composure. I mean there are a couple shades thrown but most are just passive aggressive "wows" and "oh boys".

Oh course in this particular case messiers elbow lost his/her $&!#. But they owned up to it recently.

Just an observation because I always expect to find some dirt one someone but come up short haha.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't true (at all).  His frame and height are set but he can definitely build muscle mass and get somewhat "bulkier/bigger".  He can add to that frame.

There are certain body types for sure and that will have some degree of impact on how much bigger.  But to say "very slight" isn't necessarily true.

Go and see what his 24 year old brother weighs. He is 6' 2" and his name is Emil.

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Go and see what his 24 year old brother weighs. He is 6' 2" and his name is Emil.

OK, so he's a bust in your eyes.  I'll come back and compare notes later.  

Don't mind me if I stay enthusiastic though...hasn't been a whole lot of that lately.  

I do know one thing..."weight" isn't really much but strength is.  Sure, if you put your weight behind a hit against a slighter guy, it can send him reeling.  But you have to be able to catch him and keep up.  If he can elude guys then it makes no difference how much he/they weigh. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, so he's a bust in your eyes.  I'll come back and compare notes later.  

Don't mind me if I stay enthusiastic though...hasn't been a whole lot of that lately.  

I do know one thing..."weight" isn't really much but strength is.  Sure, if you put your weight behind a hit against a slighter guy, it can send him reeling.  But you have to be able to catch him and keep up.  If he can elude guys then it makes no difference how much he/they weigh. 

Not once did I say he would be a bust. I think the kid will be a star. I just said to not expect him to be bulking up.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Go and see Wayne Simmonds height, weight, body style and athletic profile.  At draft age he was very similar to Elias in these regards.

Still plays around 187 lbs by memory?

edit: here, I did it for you... http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/wayne_simmonds/ 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
add hockeys future profile

I made a simple comment that Pettersson may never bulk up to 200lb.

This does not mean that I think he will never make it big. He is a player who uses his smarts, speed and overall skill to succeed in the men's league that he is presently playing.

I Don't think number 99 was ever a physical specimen yet he did just fine. The new NHL is built around speed.

Edited by appleboy