The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I am not sure pettersen next year is realistic.  Gaudette coming in next year starting in a 4th line center role like Horvat did as a rookie and gradually working his way up in minutes and role makes sense to me.  But Pettersen specifically I think goes to Utica with Dahlen, works on draws and they both work on systems and work their way up to first line with a big body on the other side.  Then the year after move up to Vancouver together and play with Big Tuna on the other side creating them space.  

We will continue to get younger.  But 2 to 3 players a year.  With lots of depth and competition every year.  What we saw this year is what they mean to do.  Next year we will competition in goal even.  

If he's not on the team next year, he's not the player we're hoping for.

Edited by clam linguine

4 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

Because there's a chance it could hurt his long-term development. He could get injured or just lose confidence in the NHL if he doesn't succeed right away. After 2 seasons in the SHL we should see a more physically and mentally mature 20 year old Pettersson who is ready to jump right into the NHL and have an impact. 

Clearly you haven't watched him play. Every time he touches the puck he does something that makes you think 'I didn't see that coming'. He made a few passes today that even caught his teammates by surprise and it was unfortunate since they were in a prime scoring area.

There was a shift in the 2nd period where he had a scoring chance, was the 2nd man back after a turnover and took possession, pushed the puck up ice and set up another chance. Then the puck came back to him in the slot and he had a great chance on net himself. I've watched hockey for a long time and this kid is special at a level that is rarely seen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

If he's not on the team next year, he's not the player we're hoping for.

Sarcasm? If not, just because he doesn't make the team next year does not mean he's not what we're hoping for. He definitely has the elite skill to make the team, but it all depends on how quickly he can put on enough size to physically handle the NHL. 

On 11/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But do we really want to settle for a "lower end" fist line center? That doesn't exactly scream cup to me. Nothing against Horvat, he's a great player, but I see him as a really good no 2.

What does he have to do for you to see him as a No. 1?   Perhaps if he goes head to head with Crosby in a game and dominates, would that help?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Sarcasm? If not, just because he doesn't make the team next year does not mean he's not what we're hoping for. He definitely has the elite skill to make the team, but it all depends on how quickly he can put on enough size to physically handle the NHL. 

No sarcasm. Can you name a couple forwards who spent two years in the minors after their draft year and are as good as you hope EP turns out? Maybe there are some. Who do you suggest.

Edited by clam linguine

7 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

No sarcasm. Can you name a couple forwards who spent two years in the minors after their draft year and are as good as you hope EP turns out? Maybe there are some. Who do you suggest.

I don't really think it's a matter of comparing. He has the skill to play next year, but he may not have the size. If it takes him another year to gain the size he needs, then when he's ready he will make the team due to his high skill. 

If in two years he still doesn't have the size, then I'll be worried. 

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What does he have to do for you to see him as a No. 1?   Perhaps if he goes head to head with Crosby in a game and dominates, would that help?

You got me there.

Realistically speaking, if he can become a consistent 70 + point guy, then awesome. We have our top line center, and my worries have become redundant.

That being said, I wouldn't settle for anything less. If Horvat tops out as a 50 point guy, I don't see that being good enough to justify anointing him our top line center going forward without there being some reservations.

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

He'll be the Oates to Boeser's Hull, book it.

For real, too. EP to BB will be unreal. I'm saying this with major reservation, but that duo has a potential ceiling that may actually be higher than the Twins. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You got me there.

Realistically speaking, if he can become a consistent 70 + point guy, then awesome. We have our top line center, and my worries have become redundant.

That being said, I wouldn't settle for anything less. If Horvat tops out as a 50 point guy, I don't see that being good enough to justify anointing him our top line center going forward without there being some reservations.

He got 52 points on the 29th place and lowest scoring team.   He outscored Kopitar and Toews on 5 on 5 I believe.   If he even had close to the PP time/points of anyone else near 50 points in the league (say Gagner), he would have been near 65 last year.    He is a better player than many think he is - in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I don't really think it's a matter of comparing. He has the skill to play next year, but he may not have the size. If it takes him another year to gain the size he needs, then when he's ready he will make the team due to his high skill. 

If in two years he still doesn't have the size, then I'll be worried. 

I wonder if the scenario you describe has ever happened in history. Who are the best two drafted forwards that needed two years in the minors

14 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

If he spends next year in Utica, how does that count for two years in the minors?   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

He got 52 points on the 29th place and lowest scoring team.   He outscored Kopitar and Toews on 5 on 5 I believe.   If he even had close to the PP time/points of anyone else near 50 points in the league (say Gagner), he would have been near 65 last year.    He is a better player than many think he is - in my opinion.

And I agree. That being said, as our top center, it's up to him as much as anyone else (if not more than anyone else) to get that powerplay going.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And I agree. That being said, as our top center, it's up to him as much as anyone else (if not more than anyone else) to get that powerplay going.

Team game but I agree, he needs to play a part in that but Canucks still missing their PP quarterback....who is currently in Finland growing as a player and who may be here as early as next season.

• Upvote 1