The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Canucks prospect Elias Pettersson has an amazing hidden talent

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-elias-pettersson-juggle-unicycle

image.png.9eca692554797c7ce6876000600f7118.png

Yes, he can juggle while riding a unicycle. This explains how he can see so many options when he has the puck, and why goaltenders are left in tears after EP has deked them out of their jockstraps. Frankly, I don't care if he never gains another pound; he has an elite processor that will keep him two or three moves ahead of most other players he will encounter.

I can't wait until we see a pre-game video of players doing their soccer warmups...only for Pettersson to ride by in the background on his unicycle. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I can't wait until we see a pre-game video of players doing their soccer warmups...only for Pettersson to ride by in the background on his unicycle. 

no no no. He will be front and centre juggling the soccer ball while on his unicycle showing everyone up lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I have EP at #2 in the redraft. But of course we are all subject to a certain "homer bias". It will be interesting to see where he is when some of the "redrafts" from credible sources are posted. But it looks to me like #2 is right. Hischier had a very good season -- and in the NHL -- but I could see Pettersson passing him. He has a shot at being the best player in the draft.

Some people, like Rob Vollmann  

go to a lot of effort to calculate league translation factors based on how players do when the transition from some other league to the NHL. In fact, there are have many players who move on from the SHL to the NHL and some have done alright (Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Sedins). Pettersson has actually OUTPERFORMED all those players. It is hard to project his likely NHL performance because there are no comparable players. He has outperformed everyone who has played in the same leagues.

The SHL translation factor for the SHL is 0.58. That means that, on average, players who have recently transitioned from the SHL score a rate in the NHL in the next year (based on points per game) of 58% of their scoring rate in the SHL. There is a lot of variance, and Pettersson might do worse than average. But his statistical unbiased expected value is 0.78 PPG. That is an excellent 2nd line level and legitimate even for a first liner. It translates to 64 pts over 82 games, Hischier had 52 pts in 82 games this year. With normal improvement he would probably go the low 60s next year, so the two of them might be comparable.

Possibly Pettersson's slight build makes the Canucks more cautious and they might want him in Utica next year. But, based on expected NHL performance, he deserves a very long look at the NHL level.

I have been critical of the hype surrounding most Canuck prospects. Juolevi is a good prospect, but no more, who may or may not become a good NHL D-man. Virtanen still  has not shown himself to be more than a good NHL 4th liner. Leipsic and Motte are no more than lottery tickets, and Lind and Gadjovich are no better than 50-50 to become good NHL players. But, based on his performance, Pettersson is the real deal. And Gaudette, while at the elite level that Pettersson is, looks like a good bet to be a solid middle-6 center (based on the numbers and on the eye test.)

And of course Pettersson just made the Swedish team for the World Championships in his draft+1 year. (Juolevi, in his draft+2 year, was cut from the Finnish team. It was always going to be tough for him to make the team, but it is disappointing.)

I think he'll make the Canucks in September, but it's not a lock and if he comes over and doesn't light it up, time in Utica will only help him.

Not that there is a chance he spends time in Utica but if he did...it could well be detrimental to his health and progression...

Players will be keying on him an trying to knock him off his game and at the same time he will be feeling like he has to carry the team offensively...he could get murdered out there....trying to hard to win with subpar linemates...

Sheltered 3rd line minutes for the first few games of his NHL career is all he will need to show that he can hold his own in this league....

Then it's off to play with Bo and Brock....!

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/tv/a/251457

Video of Zibanejad challenging EP in a hardest shot competition Interesting that Zibanejad shoots twice as many times in that video. Not quite a fair competition. 

[obsessive over-analysis]

Yeah, Zibanejad shoots six times and Pettersson only gets three shots. Really doesn't seem like a fair competition.

Zibanejad results: 136, 146, 136, 154, 156, 159

Pettersson results: 140, 151, 157

I mean, I know it's just for fun, but Elias gets to 150+ on his second attempt and by his third shot, he's way ahead. Who knows what he'd have done with another three shots?

Zibanejad needed four tries to get over 150. And needed six shots before he could beat Pettersson's 157 mark. 

Elias averaged 149.3. Throw out his first shot (140), and he averaged 154.

Zibanejad averaged 147.8. Throw out his first shot (136), and he averaged 150.2.

I'm thinking Elias cracks 160+ and wins the competition if they actually shot six times each. 

[/obsessive over-analysis]

:lol:

EDIT: Heck, you plot a slope based on those results and EP isn't just beating MZ, he's giving Chara a run for his money by shot #6. But this kid's won so much lately. Doesn't need to shock the world any more than he already has. He needs to save some magic for future competitions. Maybe All Star 2019 and it'll be our "lilla snorunge" who takes down the giant Slovak in the NHL's hardest shot competition. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's funny is I can see a whole bunch of young players around the globe all wanting to learn this new method of training after seeing the benefits to Pettersson's game lol 

Unicycles flying off the shelf!

Yeah, the last guy I remember with such an unusual training method was Bure, who dragged around a parachute when he skated in training.  The I remember him stepping around all kinds of defenders and they would hook him, and he would just pull through the hook.

21 hours ago, stawns said:

what's wrong with that?  It's a huge jump between the SHL and the NHL and very few have been able to translate their SHL success to NHL success.  Quit being a douche and trying to shame people's opinions

When you take into account all Swedish prospects then you can say very few have been able to transfer their SHL success into NHL success but the very few you talk about are the elite cream of the crop prospects like EP . 

JB thinks EP will play in the nhl even if its sheltered minutes.

The people who say he may need to play in the AHL for a bit are mostly Comet fans and you can't blame them for wanting to see all the young nuck prospects in Utica for a little while anyway.

Everybody wants to see EP play this year and that would translate into big ticket and merchandise  sales in both Utica and Van , unfortunately for comet fans, EP in Vancouver makes the organization more money.

• Upvote 2