The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

Its the pens model they are chasing. 

McDavid = Crosby

Drai = Malkin

Lucic = Kessel

The mix and match from there, get good cheap young players and have them ride shotgun of the top 2 lines and then let them go. When you have that kind of talent you can make it work. 

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Looks to be almost  what the Sedins make combined per season. If true Lucic + McDavid = 20 million per year.  Bring out the handcuffs for Chia pet!

I know he's an Elite star but that seems high.......

What will the cap hit be?

Isn't the highest currently 11 mill? 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, Drai's a great player and all but I'm not so sure he should be making almost $4m over Stamkos money...

29g 48a in 82 games. Built like Getzlaf, elevated his game when it mattered. CMd had more assists but only one more goal. 

Hard to give one nearly 14 million and then sign the other for 6-8 million. The problem is that Edmonton had the pay structure for Eberle, Hall and RNH that really rewarded them before they had essentially earned it. 

So when you get two young stars that actually earn a pay increase your screwed because their agents have you over a barrel. 

This is less about a league comparison for pay vs a team comparison.  Thus is just the beginning of their pay woes. Hard to see how they will stay under the cap and be able to ice a complete team from top to bottom.  They won't be getting any top ten picks anymore, looking at the Oilers drafting outside of the top ten... dismal for over ten years. Not an org strength.  

This is like dropping a suped up  Cummings 12v block into a stock truck. It may fit and it would be fast, but it will also expose all the other parts of the truck that weren't built up and those will start failing. 

CMd might become a white elephant for Edmonton.  So good that he takes 20% of the budget, but too good to allow them to be in the right place to address other org weaknesses.  

Chirelli better go go all out to bring in a top PP QB right now before he has to start turning over his roster to find cap friendly deals. Edmonton has had a history of overpaying to get trades in the past. 

Just now, HI5 said:

Why take 10 million when you can take 14 and blame the coaches and gm for $&!#ty linemates. 

Hope McDavid gets 15mill and Draistle gets 13mill. 

I guess we as Canucks fans should be hoping for the highest amount so they have less and less $$ to stay competitive with over paid players :)

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Very, very torn on this as an overall cap hit.

First off, McDavid will be (if not arguably already) the best player in the league. That's a no brainer. So he should be paid as not only the best center and player in the league, but also the amount of additional merchandise revenue he will bring in. So I get this side of it.

The other side of me is, and I'll use my lowly Jets as an example, "Is McDavid worth $7M+ more per season than Mark Scheifele?" He's certainly a better player than Scheifele, but Scheifele is also an elite, young first line center in the league that is incredibly valuable to the Jets. Both on the ice as a 30+ goal and over PPG player, and as an off ice ambassador for their franchise.

Again, NOT saying Scheifele or any other elite center is worth the money that McDavid will get here. What I'm saying is that would $9-$10M really be "too little"?

It's not that he's (McDavid) really worth $13m. 

Usually what happens in negotiations is that player x's agent will come to the GM/AGM with a base offer. The GM will counter, only with the agent to say something along the lines of this: "Milan Lucic is 8 years older than our client, less of a leader, and no where near the talent level of Connor. You're paying him 6 million for the next 6 years. Connor doubled his point totals, while playing more minutes and in a key role to your teams success." I wouldn't be too surprised if they mentioned something about his hardware he took home from Las Vegas either. 

The point is, Edmonton would be doing a disservice if they didn't hand McDavid a blank check and say "don't rape us too hard".

4 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

McDavid = Crosby

Drai = Malkin

Lucic = Kessel

The mix and match from there, get good cheap young players and have them ride shotgun of the top 2 lines and then let them go. When you have that kind of talent you can make it work. 

That works better when you can trade from a strong position and have a decent drafting record. 

Edmonton has had to overpay to make trades and has a really poor drafting record when not having a gift wrapped top 1 or 3 or ten pick. 

They have always overpaid for FA's to play there.... Everyone is overpaid to work in Edmonton, why would it be different for NHL players. 

They need to go all in now now and load up. They are paying out way too much to soon, before they have won anything. That is not what happened in Chi or Pits. 

If this is true you can almost see the next lockout coming. GM's will complain that salaries are out of hand yet they are the ones handing out these ridiculous handcuffing contracts. Welcome to Buttman's NHL. Enjoy your stay!

The oilers have to load up this year and win a cup this year before this atrocious 13.25mill cap hit gets to them. 

Spend that 10 million in free agency and lock up guys on 1 year deals to get a cup in 17-18... it'll be tough to do when Connor eats up that 10 mill

8 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

29g 48a in 82 games. Built like Getzlaf, elevated his game when it mattered. CMd had more assists but only one more goal. 

Hard to give one nearly 14 million and then sign the other for 6-8 million. The problem is that Edmonton had the pay structure for Eberle, Hall and RNH that really rewarded them before they had essentially earned it. 

So when you get two young stars that actually earn a pay increase your screwed because their agents have you over a barrel. 

This is less about a league comparison for pay vs a team comparison.  Thus is just the beginning of their pay woes. Hard to see how they will stay under the cap and be able to ice a complete team from top to bottom.  They won't be getting any top ten picks anymore, looking at the Oilers drafting outside of the top ten... dismal for over ten years. Not an org strength.  

This is like dropping a suped up  Cummings 12v block into a stock truck. It may fit and it would be fast, but it will also expose all the other parts of the truck that weren't built up and those will start failing. 

CMd might become a white elephant for Edmonton.  So good that he takes 20% of the budget, but too good to allow them to be in the right place to address other org weaknesses.  

Chirelli better go go all out to bring in a top PP QB right now before he has to start turning over his roster to find cap friendly deals. Edmonton has had a history of overpaying to get trades in the past. 

Can't disagree with any of that. And like I said, Drai's a REALLY good player (I was hoping he'd fall/we'd move up for him in his draft year). But $4m more than Stamkos....? Yikes.

As for the bolded, If I were them I'd be looking to move RNH+ for that.

15 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

McDavid = Crosby

Drai = Malkin

Lucic = Kessel

Fair comparison but Lucic is no Kessel lol. 

Luc is a slow skater who dominates in front of the net. Kessel is fast and is a sniper. 

9 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

They should get him to agree to 10 mill on salary but under the table him the other 4 mil. Lol

They'll prob still under table him some "gifts" after he signs 14mill. 

the max player cap should be no more then 10-10.5.  that is a silly amount to pay your player.  they should limit terms to 6 years too thats nuts.  i know the cap will go up but that $$ amount is just silly.  toews makes 10.5 who else is north of kane and toews? maybe 1 or 2 players tops?

i would of taken 6-8 mill over 3 years just to give my team a chance to win a cup.

10 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

If this is true you can almost see the next lockout coming. GM's will complain that salaries are out of hand yet they are the ones handing out these ridiculous handcuffing contracts. Welcome to Buttman's NHL. Enjoy your stay!

True.  Cap came in to discourage idiot owners and GMs.  They just can't help them selves. ;) 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Can't disagree with any of that. And like I said, Drai's a REALLY good player (I was hoping he'd fall/we'd move up for him in his draft year). But $4m more than Stamkos....? Yikes.

As for the bolded, If I were them I'd be looking to move RNH+ for that.

i would take the nuge. ^^

11 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That works better when you can trade from a strong position and have a decent drafting record. 

Edmonton has had to overpay to make trades and has a really poor drafting record when not having a gift wrapped top 1 or 3 or ten pick. 

They have always overpaid for FA's to play there.... Everyone is overpaid to work in Edmonton, why would it be different for NHL players. 

They need to go all in now now and load up. They are paying out way too much to soon, before they have won anything. That is not what happened in Chi or Pits. 

They still have some top end talent coming in Pullijarvi. So that'll let them move RNH to re stock the prospect pool. 

I am still angry they got him last year... 

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Hmm offer sheet Draisaitl at 14m/year x 7? Force Chiarelli to choose between the two. If he matches, that would put McDavid, Draisaitl and Lucic at just under 1/2 the cap (33.25 million or so).

Just make sure Bo's locked up before you do that, lol

If you want to get really sinister, do exactly that and then don't go to games and hope the economic malaise in North America continues and the cap drops and Edmonton has to ice a team of three highly paid players and 15 Megnas.    Dare to dream....

Archived