The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jokipakka anyone?

JM_

Looks like Jokipakka is still an unsigned free agent.... 6'3" 215 lbs, LHD... and could be had on a 1 year deal for under 1 mil. 

I didn't think Calgary was a good fit for him, and he could be a potential "steal" developing under the right coach as a good bottom pairing guy, maybe move up with injuries. A bit like Sbisa but at the right price and he might be the only UFA D left under 25 thats worth a shot? 

He also probably clears waivers and Utica would actually have some really interesting depth. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jyrki-jokipakka

IMO if he had any potential and a real shot of being a steal, 30 NHL would have jumped at that opportunity.  So it's either, none of the NHL team experts think he's worth taking a shot on him or either he's asking way too much money.

Neway would rather give a shot to our prospect first.  Maybe on a minor league deal with Utica I would consider.

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

IMO if he had any potential and a real shot of being a steal, 30 NHL would have jumped at that opportunity.  So it's either, none of the NHL team experts think he's worth taking a shot on him or either he's asking way too much money.

Neway would rather give a shot to our prospect first.  Maybe on a minor league deal with Utica I would consider.

with Benning's success with Granlund and Baer tho I wonder if JJ is another victim of Calgary's coaching staff? He had a great year in the Dallas AHL system and then seemed to falter once he hit the Flames system. No one really wanted Bear or Granny either. 

If we get him for free, I'll feel better about Jimbo getting absolutely nothing for Hamhuis.

He was the guy traded for Russell right? 

JK iono if he's good or not... but sure why not give him a shot

30 minutes ago, apollo said:

If we get him for free, I'll feel better about Jimbo getting absolutely nothing for Hamhuis.

He was the guy traded for Russell right? 

JK iono if he's good or not... but sure why not give him a shot

You blame your GM for honouring a NMC and not forcing a player's family-based decision?

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Looks like Jokipakka is still an unsigned free agent.... 6'3" 215 lbs, LHD... and could be had on a 1 year deal for under 1 mil. 

I didn't think Calgary was a good fit for him, and he could be a potential "steal" developing under the right coach as a good bottom pairing guy, maybe move up with injuries. A bit like Sbisa but at the right price and he might be the only UFA D left under 25 thats worth a shot? 

He also probably clears waivers and Utica would actually have some really interesting depth. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jyrki-jokipakka

Skates well, plays physically when the need arises but creates almost zero in terms of offense.   He would make Guddy look like Paul Coffey in terms of offensive contribution.  Has good underlying defensive stats though - so not quite Sbisa comparison - more like an Edler with zero offense.   Low risk and could add some competition if you can get him into the system at a low price but suspect he will look for somewhere that he can crack the top six and he would likely be about 9th on Canuck depth chart which isn't brilliant for him if he came.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Skates well, plays physically when the need arises but creates almost zero in terms of offense.   He would make Guddy look like Paul Coffey in terms of offensive contribution.  Has good underlying defensive stats though - so not quite Sbisa comparison - more like an Edler with zero offense.   Low risk and could add some competition if you can get him into the system at a low price but suspect he will look for somewhere that he can crack the top six and he would likely be about 9th on Canuck depth chart which isn't brilliant for him if he came.   

I'm thinking that may already have been tried with no luck... I know JB just got a lot of other LHD depth but guys can shoot up that depth chart fast in camp. I think he'd start in Utica for sure tho so he may wait things out. Going back to Europe seems like a step back for him now, but he may not want anymore AHL time either. 

Looking that the remaining UFA D list he seemed to stand out to me as the best guy in his mid-20s. 

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You blame your GM for honouring a NMC and not forcing a player's family-based decision?

Wait what? 

Oh sorry I forgot Russell got trade to Dallas and Hamhuis clearly didn't want to go play in Dallas 

Plot twist... Hamhuis signed in Dallas https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-stars-sign-defenseman-dan-hamhuis/c-888259

2016-Feb-29 Traded from Calgary Flames to Dallas Stars for Brett Pollock, Jyrki Jokipakka and round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Tyler Parsons)

In hindsight, Pollock, Jyrki and Tyler may never amount to good NHL'ers but still... Jimbo got us nothing. 

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

Wait what? 

Oh sorry I forgot Russell got trade to Dallas and Hamhuis clearly didn't want to go play in Dallas 

Plot twist... Hamhuis signed in Dallas https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/dallas-stars-sign-defenseman-dan-hamhuis/c-888259

2016-Feb-29 Traded from Calgary Flames to Dallas Stars for Brett Pollock, Jyrki Jokipakka and round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Tyler Parsons)

In hindsight, Pollock, Jyrki and Tyler may never amount to good NHL'ers but still... Jimbo got us nothing. 

He didn't want to leave his family during the school term - blaming your GM for that when the player earned that right seems a bit odd.   I don't know Dan personally but understand he is a family man and a man of strong faith and I respected his call even if it didn't work well for the Canuck plans at the time.   Players earn their contract rights so don't blame them or their management when they exercise them.

34 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm thinking that may already have been tried with no luck... I know JB just got a lot of other LHD depth but guys can shoot up that depth chart fast in camp. I think he'd start in Utica for sure tho so he may wait things out. Going back to Europe seems like a step back for him now, but he may not want anymore AHL time either. 

Looking that the remaining UFA D list he seemed to stand out to me as the best guy in his mid-20s. 

I see your point but would personally lean to Musil over J-alphabet but get your point about Calgary and prospects - they seem not too bad on those who join big club directly but not great last few years with those in the "system".

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He didn't want to leave his family during the school term - blaming your GM for that when the player earned that right seems a bit odd.   I don't know Dan personally but understand he is a family man and a man of strong faith and I respected his call even if it didn't work well for the Canuck plans at the time.   Players earn their contract rights so don't blame them or their management when they exercise them.

Not sure what you're basing this one but from what I heard was that JB didn't like the return dallas was offering him. If that's the case and he didn't want to waive his NTC then I guess you can't blame JB for this.

That's what I heard though.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Not sure what you're basing this one but from what I heard was that JB didn't like the return dallas was offering him. If that's the case and he didn't want to waive his NTC then I guess you can't blame JB for this.

That's what I heard though.

I will dig for the quote but am positive he wouldn't wave NTC irrespective of whatever deal JB could or could not make for him.    

Of all the things that annoy me, and there are surprisingly few after all these years around the game, it is when a player gets slammed for deploying and earned clause in their contract or a GM gets slammed for honouring it.   I am fine with slamming a GM for giving out the clauses like candy canes at Christmas but if truly earned, then respect it.

Not saying you didn't or don't, just tone set me off a bit.  Apologies if I came across harshly, it is just one of those things that gets to me as for vast majority of professionals, it is a dream to make a living playing the game they love but when you have a family it becomes a real challenge.   That is why some of the Edler threads bother me when people think he is being "unfair" if he doesn't wave his NMC just to allow the Canucks to improve.   

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I will dig for the quote but am positive he wouldn't wave NTC irrespective of whatever deal JB could or could not make for him.    

Of all the things that annoy me, and there are surprisingly few after all these years around the game, it is when a player gets slammed for deploying and earned clause in their contract or a GM gets slammed for honouring it.   I am fine with slamming a GM for giving out the clauses like candy canes at Christmas but if truly earned, then respect it.

Not saying you didn't or don't, just tone set me off a bit.  Apologies if I came across harshly, it is just one of those things that gets to me as for vast majority of professionals, it is a dream to make a living playing the game they love but when you have a family it becomes a real challenge.   That is why some of the Edler threads bother me when people think he is being "unfair" if he doesn't wave his NMC just to allow the Canucks to improve.   

No need for apologies! All good :)

I certainly agree with that. If a player has got an NTC / NMC, they've earned it. You can't bash them for using it. 

In the Hamhuis situation, my understanding was that he had waived it and JB didn't pull the trigger. But who knows... my source was CDC and it wouldn't be the first time someone made something up on here lol

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Do we need a depth LHD?

We already have Holm (he's a lefty, isn't he?), Wiercioch. Behind MDZ, Hutton & Edler in no particular order...

31 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we need a depth LHD?

We already have Holm (he's a lefty, isn't he?), Wiercioch. Behind MDZ, Hutton & Edler in no particular order...

We do but Holm is still a big question mark, he's never played an NHL, or AHL, game. 

Its a gamble, but IF he had a similar experience to Baer and Granny and is a decent player lost to Calgary's coaching, I'm just wondering if there's an opportunity here. Or maybe sign and waive him to play in Finland this year under Salo's coaching guidance (assuming Salo is going to be an assistant coach again next year) and retain his rights. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we need a depth LHD?

What about the likely best of the bunch in very short order - OJ?

Archived