The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sekeres throws BS shade at Goldy

Bur14Kes17

What's with the blowback on this? 

We just had a fantastic young player decide to head back to Russia, and he had a roster spot locked in. Is it that crazy to discuss the possibility of it happening again? It's not like there isn't precedent here. 

And I can tell it wasn't the media that drove Tryamkin away. 

41 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

We just had a fantastic young player decide to head back to Russia, and he had a roster spot locked in. Is it that crazy to discuss the possibility of it happening again? It's not like there isn't precedent here. 

Then what was it that drove Tryamkin away?....................

Oh right

OxQaiOq.gif

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

it's pointless speculation with the only goal being to stir up controversy. 

goldobin has never given any indication that he would consider leaving. perhaps sekeres should have reached out to larionov or goldobin himself to see what they had to say before dragging nikolay's name through the mud needlessly. 

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

I think many of us were very tired of the culture of negativity with the Canucks media leading up to this year. You could always count on some fool at 1040 to find the negative in something, ask Benning or Linden a ridiculous question, blame the fans, etc. So when they make up a hypothetical like this that Goldly agent feels the need to have to elaborate on its pretty annoying to those of us glad for some new media outlets. Eventually as 1040 does more and more of this kind of thing to try to survive it will simply become a joke so lame as to not warrant any kind of reaction, say sometime around mid-November. It will flare up again with fake stories about trade deals and then hopefully 1040 becomes an oldies station. 

The great thing with this story is Rick Dhaliwal putting Sekeres in his place by getting the real info from Larionov :lol: He schooled Botchford as well on his "bridge contract" fake story as well. 

Always when it's a Russian player, they'll always throw out the "bolting back to Russia".  Doesn't even matter if it's a player that has played lots of Major Junior in North America.  

The same rhetoric wouldn't ever be put out there if the said player was Swedish, Finn, German, whatever.  Borderline racism IMO.  

Imagine if instead of Goldobin, they said Juolevi is expecting a spot on the Canucks roster.  If not, he'll be bolting back to play in Finland.  

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sekeres just did the same thing with Rodin:

I'm more inclined to believe Dhaliwal, as he's called the agents. Just ignore Sekeres indefinitely, and let TSN die the miserable slow death it deserves.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-roster-or-sweden-for-canucks-rodin-1.857375

And the TSN website ignores Dhaliwal and spins it as a fact. Why can't they tell the whole story instead of just stirring the pot? Or just leave this small detail out of their news altogether? Drama queens, always looking for some juicy gossip to paint a player as selfish. Creating stories where there really aren't any....... TSN you're going downhill fast.

These guys have no sources and are all speculation. They are lucky enough to work for TSN which employs people with actual sources, who they get to talk to on a weekly basis. I'm sure they get bones thrown to them every now and then with a scoop, but for the most part they are left to fend for themselves. The year is long and there's a lot of airtime to kill. Doesn't excuse them from creating fake news stories and panic where it isn't warranted.

Rick Dhaliwal is fast becoming the premiere Canucks insider. I hope he is given a bigger platform to comment on this team, as he seems a lot more level-headed (not to mention informed) then the doofuses on local TSN radio. I haven't heard him speak, but I imagine he is more pleasant on the ears than the nasaly Sekeres to boot.

When I turned the radio on they were already talking about it, as if it was some big report that came out like a signing or comments from a player or agent.  But as they whinged onward there was no evidence or sources given, so it became clear that it was based on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  No sources, no reports, no interviews, not even a single unsubstantiated rumour -- it was 100% made up out of thin air, yet they were talking about it not as idle speculation but as if it was a real possibility based on something substantive.

Literally, this is lower journalism than the National Inquirer.

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

When I turned the radio on they were already talking about it, as if it was some big report that came out like a signing or comments from a player or agent.  But as they whinged onward there was no evidence or sources given, so it became clear that it was based on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  No sources, no reports, no interviews, not even a single unsubstantiated rumour -- it was 100% made up out of thin air, yet they were talking about it not as idle speculation but as if it was a real possibility based on something substantive

Literally, this is lower journalism than the National Inquirer.

what you find too, is they will be interviewing someone with actual credibility. In the interview they will repeatedly be asking hypothetical questions in an attempt to corroborate an agenda they are trying to push. Once an insider finally bites on an issue, they then feel they've added some credibility to the speculation and can start treating it more as fact. Pratt is notorious for doing stuff like this around TDL and draft day.

20 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Always when it's a Russian player, they'll always throw out the "bolting back to Russia".  Doesn't even matter if it's a player that has played lots of Major Junior in North America.  

The same rhetoric wouldn't ever be put out there if the said player was Swedish, Finn, German, whatever.  Borderline racism IMO.  

Imagine if instead of Goldobin, they said Juolevi is expecting a spot on the Canucks roster.  If not, he'll be bolting back to play in Finland.  

Rhetoric?

The stigma exists for good reason for Russian players.

Check your facts. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Rhetoric?

The stigma exists for good reason for Russian players.

Check your facts. 

More Euro players play in Europe than in the NHL... what a concept.  

How many Swedes are in the SHL after their contract expires in the NHL?  Nobody ever claims they're bolting back to Europe.  It's always... "Oh, they're back there for family reasons.  It's nice in Sweden.  The NHL just wasn't for them"

A Russian player signs back in the KHL after the NHL... "Oh... that Rusky can't make in the NHL and thus running back to the KHL!  Don't let the door hit your rear on your way out!"

Just now, Lancaster said:

How many Swedes are in the SHL after their contract expires in the NHL?  Nobody ever claims they're bolting back to Europe.  It's always... "Oh, they're back there for family reasons.  It's nice in Sweden.  The NHL just wasn't for them"

A Russian player signs back in the KHL after the NHL... "Oh... that Rusky can't make in the NHL and thus running back to the KHL!  Don't let the door hit your rear on your way out!"

You're actually defending it with conviction which means you did not do your homework.

You're attempt to make parallel points and piggy-back the stigma to climb out of the hole you're in is a bit of a let down. GMs aren't comfortable even drafting Russians with their top picks because of the earned stigma around their propensities to bolt back to Russia.

This isn't my opinion, it's fact. I just wanted you to look into it before being a typically fact-less SJW, loudly banging on about this subject. To each their own, but facts matter. 

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

What are you on about? There are transfer agreements in place with these leagues. The KHL is notorious for poaching our players away and not honoring NHL deals. But this is not the point of this thread. 

I don't deny that the threat of Goldy leaving is not real. I deny that there is any specific reason to believe he will leave. Sekeres just wanted something to talk about and so he claimed Goldy wants out based on the weak premise that Utica is not as exciting as San Jose.

Just now, cdubuya said:

What are you on about? There are transfer agreements in place with these leagues. The KHL is notorious for poaching our players away and not honoring NHL deals. But this is not the point of this thread. 

I don't deny that the threat of Goldy leaving is not real. I deny that there is any specific reason to believe he will leave. Sekeres just wanted something to talk about and so he claimed Goldy wants out based on the weak premise that Utica is not as exciting as San Jose.

End of thread.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You're actually defending it with conviction which means you did not do your homework.

You're attempt to make parallel points and piggy-back the stigma to climb out of the hole you're in is a bit of a let down. GMs aren't comfortable even drafting Russians with their top picks because of the earned stigma around their propensities to bolt back to Russia.

This isn't my opinion, it's fact. I just wanted you to look into it before being a typically fact-less SJW, loudly banging on about this subject. To each their own, but facts matter. 

Bolt means they're under NHL contract when they left.  

How many Russian players in recent years has done that?  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Bolt means they're under NHL contract when they left.  

How many Russian players in recent years has done that?  

Bolt can mean many things. It can mean leaving for the KHL while you still have an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Tryamkin just bolted. 

Nichushkin did just a few years ago.

At the time, I wanted Nichushkin over Horvat. MG had a no Russian policy. I always thoguht (and still think) that policy was stupid, however, I sure am glad that he had it in that instance.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm happy to read so many people commenting on being equally fed up as I am at the poor state of media coverage by the likes of 1040 (and our rag newspapers).

Screen_Shot_2013-04-20_at_11.56.07_AM_51

that makes me think of a 70s disco for some reason. 

But yes, its nice to have new coverage. When Sekeres looks in the mirror now he see's Eklund. 

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

Bolt can mean many things. It can mean leaving for the KHL while you still have an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Tryamkin just bolted. 

Nichushkin did just a few years ago.

At the time, I wanted Nichushkin over Horvat. MG had a no Russian policy. I always thoguht (and still think) that policy was stupid, however, I sure am glad that he had it in that instance.

Sorry, they're not under contract.  The team just happens to own their rights.  There's no obligation for them to stay in the NHL if they don't wish to.  

I guess using your definition.... players like Oscar Moller, Michael Repik, and Bill Sweatt bolted to Europe.  I mean... they were RFA when they signed in Europe.  

Archived