The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund for 6 years, 32.1 million

Adarsh Sant

I get to see him play a lot living in Calgary - he’s a pretty ideal 2C that can match up against top lines and create offense. Agree this is a good deal for both sides; however, I believe this takes him into his mid 30’s. If he loses his speed, he could turn into an expensive 3rd liner for the last 2-3 years......which works for me.

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair deal. Would take Bo over Mikael any and every day though. 

I mean, ok. Because the two are somehow related.

Ehlers signs for $6M. Would take him over Eriksson any and every day, though.

Not everything is related.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I mean, ok. Because the two are somehow related.

Ehlers signs for $6M. Would take him over Eriksson any and every day, though.

Not everything is related.

Both centres. Both signing for similiar term and money. So ya. Somewhat related. 

54 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I get to see him play a lot living in Calgary - he’s a pretty ideal 2C that can match up against top lines and create offense. Agree this is a good deal for both sides; however, I believe this takes him into his mid 30’s. If he loses his speed, he could turn into an expensive 3rd liner for the last 2-3 years......which works for me.

That will likely be low for 3rd line centres by that time.

39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That will likely be low for 3rd line centres by that time.

This.

The cap will be increasing to $78M-$82M next season alone. It’ll be $90M+ soon enough. The days of middle 6 players being paid $2M-$3M are over. In 5 years, every team will have at least one player getting paid $10M+.

So Backlund will be worth it. Easily manageable contract.

Interesting. At first I thought it was too much, but I suppose maybe it's just on the high end of acceptable. He's got about Bo's level of skill but doesn't have the intangibles. Then, he is signed for a bit less than Bo, but Bo is younger and doesn't have any trade clauses. Maybe it's unfair to compare it to Horvat's contract since his was such a steal.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. At first I thought it was too much, but I suppose maybe it's just on the high end of acceptable. He's got about Bo's level of skill but doesn't have the intangibles. Then, he is signed for a bit less than Bo, but Bo is younger and doesn't have any trade clauses. Maybe it's unfair to compare it to Horvat's contract since his was such a steal.

??

Should be in the Selke conversations but for whatever reason Backlund doesn't get the respect or recognition he deserves.

Great two way player.

(He and Frolik make Tkachuk look better than he actually is).

Backlund this year

43.6% ozone starts

55.2% corsi

59 takeaways

34 pts

Last year:

36.3% ozone starts

55.0% corsi

57 takeaways

53 pts

Has been a great 'possession' (shot attempt differential) player throughout his career - while adding solid second line scoring.

More than earned this contract.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I would argue he has those qualities

EDIT: I misread. Maybe he does; I don't follow Calgary closely. I just assumed that since Horvat has those in droves that it would be unlikely for many players to have them at the same level.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Should be in the Selke conversations but for whatever reason Backlund doesn't get the respect or recognition he deserves.

Great two way player.

(He and Frolik make Tkachuk look better than he actually is).

Backlund this year

43.6% ozone starts

55.2% corsi

59 takeaways

34 pts

Last year:

36.3% ozone starts

55.0% corsi

57 takeaways

53 pts

Has been a great 'possession' (shot attempt differential) player throughout his career - while adding solid second line scoring.

More than earned this contract.

Last year he may have been their most valuable players. At least when it comes to forwards.

Archived