The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

In what world do you live in that 170 lbs is a decent amount of muscle?  

And you don’t get massive powerful legs like Crosby (who is over 200 by the way) at 170.  

It’s great we all like the kid, but Jesus. Let’s be real.  

The kid is a pinner.  Straight up. He is a little guy.   He will grow, but let’s stop the bs.   

Crosby is lissted at 200. Where do you see he is over?

In what world do you live in that 170 lbs is a decent amount of muscle?  

And you don’t get massive powerful legs like Crosby (who is over 200 by the way) at 170.  

It’s great we all like the kid, but Jesus. Let’s be real.  

The kid is a pinner.  Straight up. He is a little guy.   He will grow, but let’s stop the bs.   

Hughes is well proportioned.  He isn’t a pinner, just average build for a guy his height. Could he do better with 10 pounds of muscle? I don’t think it will hurt him, but he isn’t a pinner.  

He isn’t that far off Stechers build. Fantastic skills and will be very hard to defend. He works to his strengths on the defensive side. Think EP40 but as a defender.  Blocking lanes, stripping picks and using his brain and skill to defend vs braun and size. So his stature isn’t the liabilty many make it out to be. 

I don’t need to be explained to. 

I understand what the kid brings, and I’m stoked we have him.  

But when I see something stupid like the Crosby comparisons, I’m gonna call it.  

Crosbys legs are bigger than his head. Lol

Quinn is high school sized, and that’s ok if he can make his game work at the NHL level.  

People get so upset when someone doesn’t give every prospect handies and high fives. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grape said:

Hughes went end to end on the PP, circled around the net, then centred it to Lockwood who deflected it to Slaker for the goal. 2-1 Michigan right now halfway through the 2nd.

thanks Grape...nice to see both our boys in on that goal.

Are you physically at the game?  

• Upvote 1

Still 2-1 at the end of the 2nd. Obviously a much stronger opponent and Hughes has struggled with decisions and with the puck a bit (looks frustrated on the bench.) Offensively he’s dynamic as usual and that usually goes without saying. Lockwood hasn’t played his best game either but has had a few good chances. Both have an assist! 

Edited by Grape

Quinn is high school sized, and that’s ok if he can make his game work at the NHL level.  

People get so upset when someone doesn’t give every prospect handies and high fives. 

Quinn's also still a teenager. 

I don't think it's unfathomable to think that by his mid 20's, he could have a 'Crosby like' body (tree trunks, core and fit but not huge upper body).

Pretty sure that's all Bitter is saying. 

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Well the least you can do is give em a tug if not a full handy and a high five. Damn. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Quinn picked up his game in the third period for sure. He cruised himself into a breakaway with is skating an just missed after a nice move to the forehand. Overall a dynamic offensive game for him which included an amazing solo effort maneuvering his way from the blue line to the front of the net that created a really good chance. He wasn't great for the first 2 periods with some bad decisions but he played really well in the 3rd especially during 2 penalty kills. 1 beauty of an assist to go along with all of this. Lockwood had his chances and you can see elite speed and skill but it wasn't consistent enough tonight. A lucky bounce off of the Hughes assist got him an assist as well. He also happened to lay a powerful but clean check in the first that unfortunately caused what seemed to be a serious injury on a ND player. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Someone’s got bigorexia.

Read my post again. I never said he was a tank, I said for his frame he’s got a solid amount of musculature. At 5’10 174 lbs is actually just on the overweight side of a healthy BMI, which is fine considering as an athlete it’s going to be largely muscle. For reference, Conor McGregor is at a similar height and 20lbs lighter, and he is hardly “pinner”. You can call Pettersson “pinner” as he’s the same weight while 4 inches taller. I then projected that based on what I’ve seen he’ll fill out with a strong lower body like Crosby. I am not comparing the physique of  teenager Quinn Hughes directly to grown man Sidney Crosby.

Chill.

You say that you're not comparing a teenage Quinn Hughes to a grown man in Sidney Crosby, yet that's EXACTLY what you were doing when you tried to compare him to Conor McGregor.....which is a terrible comparison for several different reasons. Plus McGregor is NOT 20lbs lighter. The weight he weighs in at for a fight isn't even close to what he weighs when you see him during a fight or what he walks around at. When you see him for a 155lbs fight, he's usually weighing at least 170-175lbs. Hockey players generally have very big legs, so I'm sure that Hughes is no different. So in saying that, most of his musculature (as you put it) is in his lower half and he's going to need some muscle to his upper body, which I'm sure he will.

all this talk about Hughes’ legs, girth...reminds me of the talk in the Pettersson thread about a year ago.   The way I look at it is this: some heavily paid pros, more qualified than what I will ever be, deemed the kid to be competent enough to be drafted at an elite level (top 10 in the NHL) despite his physical stature.   These same guys picked some pretty good guys lately. ...i just dont dwell on it.  Sure he is a d man and some may say size matters more when you are a d, but does it really matter more than a guy playing 1 C and succeeding in a big way at sub 170lbs?

IMHO accounts of his defensive play mean more to me than what his frame looks like. Its not worth dwelling on. Just an opinion of course.

now back to the regularly scheduled broadcast....

Edited by Darius
  • Like 2