The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

It's really clear that opponents have keyed in on Quinn more than last season and offensively he's doing really well to combat that.

Quinn has 9 in 9 and I said at the beginning of the season I hoped he'd at least go PPG. I gotta say though with Michigan's defensive and goaltending struggles he might have to focus a bit more on defensive play. Obviously with struggles on that end the whole team will be playing less in the offensive zone as expected, so I think staying just above PPG could be a goal rather than an expectation. 

I do hope this team turns it around like last year's team does and does something remarkable. The goalies have to step it up big time though as they have horrid percentages, but obviously that starts with Quinn and the D. Not too worried about the offense with Quinn, Will, and Josh Norris spearheading it. 

• Upvote 1

Pair of games for Michigan this weekend versus #5 Penn State.

Both on the road. First one tonight and second one tomorrow. Both are 7pm EST starts (4pm in Vancouver).

Both games are on BTN+ (subscription, no free stream).

Game notes: https://mgoblue.com/documents/2018/11/14/20181114_ihm_notes.pdf

Audio broadcast: https://mgoblue.com/watch/?Live=246

Live stats: https://gopsusports.com/sidearmstats/mhockey/summary

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2018-11-07 at 10:11 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mel Pearson (Michigan coach) on Quinn Hughes:

"He's stronger and spending extra time in the weight room this fall. He has his strength coaches here for him 24/7 and with guys coming after him a bit more on the ice, his physical play has stepped up. His power and explosiveness is way better."

"Probably playing too many minutes to be honest. Around 26 minutes a night as least. He is one of those guys who has to and wants to stay involved so we use him in all situations. You can see his confidence even more so than last year."

"In my estimation he is well ahead of where he was last season, he brings people out of their seats. He is a lot more outgoing and relaxed as well. He is easy to talk to but it seems he is more comfortable in his surroundings. His drive is amazing and higher this year."

Anyone follow this league closely?  I swear Michigan was suppose to be a strong team this year.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Anyone follow this league closely?  I swear Michigan was suppose to be a strong team this year.

5 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

From what I've seen, Josh Norris isn't finishing the gifts of a pass he's been getting from Hughes.

Michigan has been a bit soft defensively, and not just the D corps but team-wide, and their goaltenders have definitely struggled to make saves in several games. And yes, as @westcoastsniper notes, they hasn’t converted as much as the should have on some of the chances Hughes creates (and Norris is hardly alone in that regard).

The Wolverines definitely haven’t looked as good as many people, including myself, were expecting then to be this season.

That said, they really haven’t been terrible either. Just not the powerhouse they were pegged to be (most preseason rankings had them top-5 in the NCAA). But they are still sitting in decent enough position in their conference (they’re currently 3rd in the Big Ten), and have split their two series against highly ranked Penn State and Notre Dame. There’s still plenty of time for them to climb the rankings and conference standings, and make it into the national tournament.

On the other hand, if they don’t get things on track, and they bow out early this season, it means that Hughes becomes available to sign his ELC and join Vancouver for a few games before 2018-19 closes out. Not necessary a bad outcome, if that’s how things go. Actually, as a Canucks fan, it’s might be the best case scenario.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just to update the scoring stats:

Hughes now has 13 points (3G 10A) in 11 games.

He’s one point behind Makar (who had that hot start but has cooled off since) and three points off the outright NCAA defenceman scoring lead (with a game in hand on the leader).

EDIT: I think Hughes will continue to climb the leaderboard, but I don’t think he can catch Adam Fox the way he’s playing for Harvard (15 points in only 7 games so far). However, it’s also a heck of a lot easier for Fox to put up points as an elite player in the ECAC than it is for Hughes to dominate the Big Ten (which is a far more competitive conference).

Thanks for the consistent updates Sid!