The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic suppression of black voters.

canuckster19

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-september-18-2018-1.4827863/laws-to-suppress-black-vote-in-u-s-are-being-drafted-with-horrific-efficiency-says-author-1.4827869

One thing I don't really understand is, why is there a large number of African Americans without proper government ID?

One thing that's always bothered me about the Obama rhetoric, is where were they in 2010? Obama had a chance to pass a really good health care act but instead had to negotiate with Republicans on the issue. People need to mobilize better, and if that means getting a government ID then they need to mobilize on that issue as well.

One thing I would be interested in knowing is the proportion of whites to minorities that don't hold ID's, for example, if there's 30 white people and 10 black people, 4 black people don't have ID's but neither do 12 white people... can it be called systemic then? I doubt this is the case, I'm just wondering that's all.

Really is quite sad though how hard they make voting in the US, the simple fact that they hold the election on a Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/getting-a-photo-id-so-you-can-vote-is-easy-unless-youre-poor-black-latino-or-elderly/2016/05/23/8d5474ec-20f0-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cd440ccbb375

Yikes, that's quite sad. I hope the minority communities make an effort in helping their fellow citizens obtain the proper IDs, get that moronic party out of power.

"Voter ID"s are relatively new.  

Indiana in 2006 became the first state to enact a strict photo ID law. 

As of September 2016, 33 states have enacted some form of voter ID requirement.

600px-Map_of_US_Voter_ID_Laws_by_State,_

Red and orange require or request photo ID

Blue require or request non-photo ID

Gray no ID required. 

Almost all cases are Republican attempts at gerrymandering. 

11 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

"Voter ID"s are relatively new.  

Indiana in 2006 became the first state to enact a strict photo ID law. 

As of September 2016, 33 states have enacted some form of voter ID requirement.

600px-Map_of_US_Voter_ID_Laws_by_State,_

Red and orange require or request photo ID

Blue require or request non-photo ID

Gray no ID required. 

Almost all cases are Republican attempts at gerrymandering. 

That's the other thing, the amount of gerrymandering is appalling, seeing some congressional districts looking like a snake across a state map.

I don't think it is in anyway "racist" to require a photo ID, but if that's the case, then it shouldn't be made difficult to get one.

God forbid they ask you provide I.D when voting.

Also, when Trump ran...meaning it was Obamas administration that had to gut it... So what does that have to do with Trumps administration? When has the republican party ever gone on the record to say they want to suppress black voting? Where in the laws does it single out African Americans. This is bull**** news with a bull**** narrative.

11 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Also, when Trump ran...meaning it was Obamas administration that had to gut it... So what does that have to do with Trumps administration? When has the republican party ever gone on the record to say they want to suppress black voting? Where in the laws does it single out African Americans. This is bull**** news with a bull**** narrative.

This has been an issue long before Trump came into the picture. Maybe actually try reading about it? 

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

This has been an issue long before Trump came into the picture. Maybe actually try reading about it? 

To be honest it was a really hard read, as a lot of it is high school rumours and is very anecdotal. It's left wing media attacking the right... Blatantly.. How does have anything to do with ousting a party that was democratically elected? I see it in the comments here, *editing.

" I hope the minority communities make an effort in helping their fellow citizens obtain the proper IDs, get that moronic party out of power."
"Almost all cases are Republican attempts at gerrymandering."

It's in the news article it is essentially saying that the republicans, and Americans are imposing "Jim Crow" laws. Get out of here with that crap, and that's exactly what it is, crap. White people have to follow the rules for voting the same as Black, Orient, Green, Blue, etc... Get your I.D. it's not that hard, or else a majority of people wouldn't have them. This bullcrap narrative that "The man is trying to keep us down" is just that, and I'm calling it out. I find this article offensive, but because I'm not a leftist, it doesn't matter that I'm offended, because because. Or it just doesn't matter because that's what free speech is about, being able to say what you want, even if it offends someone.

10 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

To be honest it was a really hard read, as a lot of it is high school rumours and is very anecdotal. It's left wing media attacking the right... Blatantly.. How does have anything to do with ousting a party that was democratically elected? I see it in the comments here, *editing.

" I hope the minority communities make an effort in helping their fellow citizens obtain the proper IDs, get that moronic party out of power."
"Almost all cases are Republican attempts at gerrymandering."

It's in the news article it is essentially saying that the republicans, and Americans are imposing "Jim Crow" laws. Get out of here with that crap, and that's exactly what it is, crap. White people have to follow the rules for voting the same as Black, Orient, Green, Blue, etc... Get your I.D. it's not that hard, or else a majority of people wouldn't have them. This bullcrap narrative that "The man is trying to keep us down" is just that, and I'm calling it out. I find this article offensive, but because I'm not a leftist, it doesn't matter that I'm offended, because because. Or it just doesn't matter because that's what free speech is about, being able to say what you want, even if it offends someone.

A significant number of low income people in the states can't afford the fees involved with getting an ID. But I'm sure you already knew that. 

Obviously you should have to show ID to vote but there shouldn't be a monetary barrier to entry as well.

I fail to see any correlation between suppressing people of color and making it required by law to have an id to vote.

Just like how you need a photo id for countless other daily activities.

If you cant afford $90 every 5 years then the problem is on you and your ability to budget, not systematic suppression.

Something similar is when BC combined Driver's licence and the Care card into one card.  Easy for me (as I was born here).  Not so much for my Father-in-law.  Slightly different spelling on his birth certificate vs his Canadian citizenship vs his driver's license.  Had to prove who he is, get stuff notarized, and a lot of back and forth. Think it took 6 months to resolve and about $300 in fees.

5 minutes ago, jatylo said:

If you cant afford $90 every 5 years then the problem is on you and your ability to budget, not systematic suppression

So you didn't see that the places to apply for ID have been moved to areas much farther away from where  large groups of African Americans live?

Are you ok with ID costing $6,000 ? Just where do you draw the line on what someone should be able to afford?

37 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Its actually not a BS narrative. State laws in regards to voting have suppressed black voters in the south since the Civil War. If you would like, I can provide you with some interesting documentaries that could enlighten you. The Republican party would never openly come out and say that they want to suppress black voting, because if they did that would be unconstitutional (and flat our idiotic). As far as laws that single out african americans, this was taken from the text.

What was not acceptable, for instance, for a government-issued photo ID, was public housing ID. But it doesn't really get more government-issued than public housing. But Alabama is a poor state, and 71 per cent of those in public housing were African-Americans.

It does not single out african americans, but singles out a certain demographic of people which imo is wrong. Explain to my why Alabama has a law like this when they know of the economic struggles within their state. Why can they not use this piece of ID, when it is a government issued photo ID? What is the issue with it?

37 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

That's the other thing, the amount of gerrymandering is appalling, seeing some congressional districts looking like a snake across a state map.

I don't think it is in anyway "racist" to require a photo ID, but if that's the case, then it shouldn't be made difficult to get one.

IMO they are connected. As the CBC headline states "horrific efficiency". It's a win at any cost mentality. 

So gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc.. isn't necessarily done with racist intentions. The result is racist. But they will distance themselves and argue it was not the intent. 

The intent is to disqualify as many voters who may vote against them. Which is about as anti-democracy as it gets. Race issues aside this is wrong. 

Requiring identification isn't suppression. The leftists in the States regarding this are totally out to lunch. Gerrymandering is a far bigger issue that they should be concerned about and working against, but instead they complain about voter suppression regarding personal identification, which by the way you require for just about anything nowadays. It scores quick political points and allows them to play identity politics as usual

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Requiring identification isn't suppression.

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

So you didn't see that the places to apply for ID have been moved to areas much farther away from where  large groups of African Americans live?

58 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

A significant number of low income people in the states can't afford the fees involved with getting an ID. But I'm sure you already knew that. 

Obviously you should have to show ID to vote but there shouldn't be a monetary barrier to entry as well.

It's been so long since I aquired ID here in Canada but I don't recall it costing much at all. Didn't know the US was so different on that subject.

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

Are you ok with ID costing $6,000 ? Just where do you draw the line on what someone should be able to afford?

Again didn't realize the US was so different. Can't you get ID in any town or city here? I got mine in a smaller place.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

It's been so long since I aquired ID here in Canada but I don't recall it costing much at all. Didn't know the US was so different on that subject.

Again didn't realize the US was so different. Can't you get ID in any town or city here? I got mine in a smaller place.

yup its pretty shocking, make people decide do I eat today or go buy ID to vote. Its a good example of how the US sold off some of its democracy. Thats why I really hate it when a small faction of the CPC tries to whip up similar bs up here. Photo ID for voting purposes should be free for low income people, I mean how much could it cost in materials to print a photo card, $1.50? 

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Requiring identification isn't suppression. The leftists in the States regarding this are totally out to lunch. Gerrymandering is a far bigger issue that they should be concerned about and working against, but instead they complain about voter suppression regarding personal identification, which by the way you require for just about anything nowadays. It scores quick political points and allows them to play identity politics as usual

they are working against both things. Its effective suppression when you know a certain portion of the population can't afford ID. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

In Powell River the government has an office at our courthouse, you can get your BC ID from them, and pay off whatever fines you have picked up along the way. Most towns in Canada are set up similarly.

In the states some one figured out they only need to close a number of government ID offices in certain counties to make it much more difficult for a certain "type" of voter to get id and thus have all those folks not voting.

It would be like all the offices in BC being closed except for the ones in Vancouver, end result only Vancouverites end up voting.

Archived