The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Nov. 06, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Gaudette looks like he could be on the verge of breaking out.

Playing bigger - asserting himself more.

28.6% ozone starts and 56% corsi (Granny, Motte, Roussel and Archie all with solid 'underlying' numbers in that game).

Also interesting to see Pouliot lead the blueline in ice-time again (26:01).   With Tanev returning, Hutton also improving, Gud and Stecher being consistently solid, it bodes well for when Edler retakes MDZ's roster spot....

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

28.6% ozone starts and 56% corsi (Granny, Motte, Roussel and Archie all with solid 'underlying' numbers in that game).

Also interesting to see Pouliot lead the blueline in ice-time again (26:01).   With Tanev returning, Hutton also improving, Gud and Stecher being consistently solid, it bodes well for when Edler retakes MDZ's roster spot....

I'm still not sold on Pouliot, but man did he look better with Tanev beside him. All of a sudden he was almost never out of time and looked much more composed in general.

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gaudette averages like 7 faceoffs a game. Would be nice to see him start taking more faceoffs, especially with Bo taking like 40 last night. Gaudette's deployment for the most part is in the offensive zone, with 60% of his starts there (on the season). Gaudette is improving slowly but surely though. He had 4 hits last night. Getting more active. I like it.

30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaudette averages like 7 faceoffs a game. Would be nice to see him start taking more faceoffs, especially with Bo taking like 40 last night. Gaudette's deployment for the most part is in the offensive zone, with 60% of his starts there (on the season). Gaudette is improving slowly but surely though. He had 4 hits last night. Getting more active. I like it.

It's only 10 games in, so I'm not sure I'd consider that 'slow' improvement, but it seems as though Green feels he's ready for some harder minutes...

One thing about Green is that his deployment of any particular player is not necessarily that predictable on any given night - which in itself is pretty interesting imo, and may also help keep his players engaged on some levels.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I'm still not sold on Pouliot, but man did he look better with Tanev beside him. All of a sudden he was almost never out of time and looked much more composed in general.

He had 2 egregious turnovers in his own zone that I remember last night both of which gave the Red Wings a scoring chance.  He was better with Tanev, but still scared everytime he got the puck on his stick.

22 hours ago, DontTouchMeGuys said:

I was watching the Red Wings broadcast and they kept comparing Elias to Datsyuk. Also said he would easily go number 1 overall if they re-drafted his year again.

Watched the Detroit telecast as well was funny to hear them going on and on about all the great things EP has in his arsenal.

Even the in between period guys were showing his great backchecks  and gushing you'd think Pettersson was a Red Wing the way they talked about him all game.

Props to them giving lots of credit where due they were very classy. I actually find watching the opposition telecast far better most of the time and enjoy their play by play guys more they aren't boring and have a different style and take on everything which is refreshing.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

He had 2 egregious turnovers in his own zone that I remember last night both of which gave the Red Wings a scoring chance.  He was better with Tanev, but still scared everytime he got the puck on his stick.

I agree and credit to you for noticing.

If you watch closely at least half of his minutes he's looking a step behind and in over his head and on the cusp of making turnovers and errors.

Pouliots power play work is average at best and most of the time not very sharp at all costing the team chances and sometimes giving up chances with his shaky play. Can't wait until Highes comes along and Pouliot is in the press box or Utica where he belongs.

Pouliots definitely really outmatched when out against the leagues better players and it's just something we'll unfortunately have to see until he's gone at some point.

The sooner the better.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

What is really incredible about Pettersson is he is a still a point a game at even strength.  7 of his ten goals, and three of his assists were 5 on 5 . 

Thats what impresses me the most. I have to admit, i was still skeptical prior to the season starting and thought if he put up decent numbers it would have mainly been from the powerplay.

His first goal in the avalanche game came from 1 ft outside the crease digging at a rebound. 

His defensive game comes much better tham advertised. Credit to Green for keeping him at centre and away from the physical board play

1 hour ago, The Big Luongo said:

Watched the Detroit telecast as well was funny to hear them going on and on about all the great things EP has in his arsenal.

Even the in between period guys were showing his great backchecks  and gushing you'd think Pettersson was a Red Wing the way they talked about him all game.

Props to them giving lots of credit where due they were very classy. I actually find watching the opposition telecast far better most of the time and enjoy their play by play guys more they aren't boring and have a different style and take on everything which is refreshing.

Yes and at the end when they were interviewing that one analyst by the bench, they were comparing clips of EP40 and PD13 it was quite amazing how similarly elusive they are. As you said very classy of them to acknowledge our young up and coming superstar. Not very often you hear other teams broadcast talk about the other teams player all game long.

On a side note, I heard Ray on 1040 giving the Moj a ripping when he called it unfair to compare Petey to former NHL superstars. It was pretty funny hearing Ray say “Never ever compare another quarterback again when you do football Moj”. Love that little ball of hate. 

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Yes and at the end when they were interviewing that one analyst by the bench, they were comparing clips of EP40 and PD13 it was quite amazing how similarly elusive they are. As you said very classy of them to acknowledge our young up and coming superstar. Not very often you hear other teams broadcast talk about the other teams player all game long.

WGN9 Chicago has good unbias knowledgeable commentary as well. sad when American local announcers putting our national broadcasters to shame with blatant homerism. 

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

WGN9 Chicago has good unbias knowledgeable commentary as well. sad when American local announcers putting our national broadcasters to shame with blatant homerism. 

For every Chicago, there a Boston. 

Personally, i love shorty and Garrett. I'm a canucks fan. I want to hear some homerism.

9 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Is this a joke ?  That would be way too hard on the players. 

Too hard on players? No it wouldn't. That's like saying 20 minute periods is too hard. Maybe the first should be 20, second 15 and third 10, you know, so not to be too hard in the players. 

Anyways, they would all slow down, take more chances and make more mistakes and the game would end. Players would be fine. 

Maybe shootouts are too hard on them?

6 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Not since Pavel, and a smaller way thr Sedins as they were 2 players, have we had a player other teams will talk positively about. 

Want to hear something else amazing? Mr. Hughes may be EP40, but on defense :-)

13 hours ago, J-P said:

That is more of a reflection of Tanev than DP. Tanev makes those around him better. 

18 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

the problem however, with this kind of micro-focus, dwelling on a specific error - is missing the complete picture in the process (which I'm not alleging you are doing, as you claim he was 'better with Tanev).   Dwelling on an error is evidently not something Green does - for good reason - or Pouliot would not be leading the team in ice-time in consecutive games.  I didn't get a chance to watch the entire Detroit game as closely as the previous game, but in that in that game Pouliot was outstanding (so, if he was 'better with Tanev', perhaps the error dwelling is even less appropriate, but you'd never know that if you simply read a GDT.  I've never seen an NHL defenseman that does not make egregious errors - it comes inevitably with the territory, but what they do overall is what really matters.   If we dumped a defenseman every time he made a couple errors, we'd have dumped Edler after every single GDT lol.

Brock Boeser had a string of games earlier where he made a couple 'egregious' turnovers - in situations that were less 'forgivable' - and if people chose to dwell on those, they form a small sample and misrepresentative perspective of that player's value.  Comically, there were those ripping him for 'contributing in no way' - and others who concluded in a small sample of primarily a few games that he 'should not' be playing with Pettersson.

Pouliot is playing a LOT better than most folks around here seem to realize - and I'm not simply relying on the objective ('underlying' outcomes) or the eye test - the fact of how he's being utilized by Green is evidence enough - something I put more weight in than CDC stories about players.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

the problem however, with this kind of micro-focus, dwelling on a specific error - is missing the complete picture in the process (which I'm not alleging you are doing, as you claim he was 'better with Tanev).   Dwelling on an error is evidently not something Green does - for good reason - or Pouliot would not be leading the team in ice-time in consecutive games.  I didn't get a chance to watch the entire Detroit game as closely as the previous game, but in that in that game Pouliot was outstanding (so, if he was 'better with Tanev', perhaps the error dwelling is even less appropriate, but you'd never know that if you simply read a GDT.  I've never seen an NHL defenseman that does not make egregious errors - it comes inevitably with the territory, but what they do overall is what really matters.   If we dumped a defenseman every time he made a couple errors, we'd have dumped Edler after every single GDT lol.

Brock Boeser had a string of games earlier where he made a couple 'egregious' turnovers - in situations that were less 'forgivable' - and if people chose to dwell on those, they form a small sample and misrepresentative perspective of that player's value.  Comically, there were those ripping him for 'contributing in no way' - and others who concluded in a small sample of primarily a few games that he 'should not' be playing with Pettersson.

Pouliot is playing a LOT better than most folks around here seem to realize - and I'm not simply relying on the objective ('underlying' outcomes) or the eye test - the fact of how he's being utilized by Green is evidence enough - something I put more weight in than CDC stories about players.

However, these specific errors are important.  I've watched every game so far this year and Pouliot and his turnovers directly have caused more goals against than any other Canuck.  This is probably more noticeable because he is defense, but he constantly fans on passes or leaves the puck behind which has resulted in an opponent breakaway or clear path to the net every single time.  Basically compared to any other player, these mistakes should be amplified because they are ones you just can't make if you want to win hockey games.

Archived