The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Drafting Positional Need

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Always. And again. Repeat. Always. Ever after.

Always BPA

Every damn time

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea imagine the best player available was a center? That would SUCK to have EP, BO, and this phantom centerman.

Just like how it sucked in Pitt with Stall, Malkin, and that third guy.

Man it would totally suck to have both Gaudette and Sutter (when Beagle's healthy) playing wing because of "Phantom C".. 

Stupid BPA

Just for the record......draft rankings are a lot of things....best at that moment...or projected best professional

So, when Fleury was drafted 1st OA, was he projected to be the best player at that time, or was he ranked the best the best pick to get the most impactful nhl player?

Isn't it Craig Buttons that ranks players by their draft + 5 years projections

Therefore BPA at the time of the draft is redundant....I am not sure, I guess it depends on who is picking, I guess ?

But I did say....all things being equal

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok guys...lol

We are not communicating....lol

Simplified...…….all choices are equal in projection

what is the biggest hole we need to fill...………………………….(I got a bad feeling about this question!) LOL

1. RHD that can shoot. 2. LHW 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] Drafting Positional Need
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Ok guys...lol

We are not communicating....lol

Simplified...…….all choices are equal in projection

what is the biggest hole we need to fill...………………………….(I got a bad feeling about this question!) LOL

Well?

RW > Boeser, Jake, with Lind, Lockwood, Jasek & Palmu in tow > Check!

G > Guys have to emerge, fulfill their potential? > But lloking good!

Pivot > Check Mate!  Bo, Petey, Sutts, Gaudette> But never hurts to add more centres who can play!

LW > Meh, plenty of potential, but it has to come to the surface, Goldobin, Dahlen, Baertschi, Gadjo, vets Roussell & Schaller > Work in progress.

RHD > ok for the moment, solid, but nothing special in Tanev (can we keep till contending?), Guddy, Stech, prospect Woo > Need to add if we are to be potent!

LHD > ok lets mention Edler, hi trade value may get us our LW? Hughes, Juolevi, Hutton, Pouliot, Tryamkin?, Brisbois, Rathbone > Looking very promising. Trade depth??

Yup RHD needs work, and LW is weakest in the current timeline, with upside in prospects but no sure bet! LW probably weakest! LHD the only position where I am ''comfortable'' trading from depth.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well?

RW > Boeser, Jake, with Lind, Lockwood, Jasek & Palmu in tow > Check!

G > Guys have to emerge, fulfill their potential? > But lloking good!

Pivot > Check Mate!  Bo, Petey, Sutts, Gaudette> But never hurts to add more centres who can play!

LW > Meh, plenty of potential, but it has to come to the surface, Goldobin, Dahlen, Baertschi, Gadjo, vets Roussell & Schaller > Work in progress.

RHD > ok for the moment, solid, but nothing special in Tanev (can we keep till contending?), Guddy, Stech, prospect Woo > Need to add if we are to be potent!

LHD > ok lets mention Edler, hi trade value may get us our LW? Hughes, Juolevi, Hutton, Pouliot, Tryamkin?, Brisbois, Rathbone > Looking very promising. Trade depth??

Yup RHD needs work, and LW is weakest in the current timeline, with upside in prospects but no sure bet! LW probably weakest! LHD the only position where I am ''comfortable'' trading from depth.

Thanks for the response Surfer

Yes, this is the question I have been pondering

So, even though Pettersson has been lights out at Center, he can play LW, so another Center that can play LW as well would be crazy

Now, Hughes is advertised as a LHD, but he plays RD as well...……..question how well?

Tryamkin play both sides...…………..

These are delightful problems to have.....

So...….I think a Center would can play LW, would be gravy at this point

Could you imagine ………

1st Line

Hughes/Pettersson/Boeser                      OR                                  Kaako/Pettersson/Boeser   

Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser                                                             Pettersson/Kaako/Boeser

as for Defense (not Necessarily in those combo's)

Joulevi/Hughes                                                                                     Hughes/Tryamkin

Tryamkin/Tanev                                       OR                                       Edler/Gudbranson

Edler/Gudbranson                                                                                Juolevi/Tanev

Hutton/Stecher                                                                                      Hutton/ Stecher

Brisebois/Woo                                                                                       Brisebois/Woo

But Sadly, I don't see        Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen as a second line, Horavt yes, but unless someone really steps up, I don't think either winger on that line are adequate 

So, I am kind of the impression, we are short LW's at present and not RHD...but if one of our LWers elevates, it would help out...…………..

But this is one of the reasons I champion trading Edler and Tanev, and getting those picks now instead of waiting...….we are still short 2 or 3 top players and moving them would get us more inline with our "young" Core...………….

I also just see the need to keep Sutter with Beagle and Gaudette capable of holding down the 3rd and 4th Centers

We just have so many moving parts that need to be cemented down still...……...love to see them win right now, but it is just not a priority for me right now...……...

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, even though Pettersson has been lights out at Center, he can play LW, so another Center that can play LW as well would be crazy

Now, Hughes is advertised as a LHD, but he plays RD as well...……..question how well?

Could you imagine ………

1st Line

Hughes/Pettersson/Boeser                      OR                                  Kaako/Pettersson/Boeser   

Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser                                                             Pettersson/Kaako/Boeser

Joulevi/Hughes                                                                                     Hughes/Tryamkin

Tryamkin/Tanev                                       OR                                       Edler/Gudbranson

Edler/Gudbranson                                                                                Juolevi/Tanev

Hutton/Stecher                                                                                      Hutton/ Stecher

Brisebois/Woo                                                                                       Brisebois/Woo

But Sadly, I don't see        Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen as a second line, Horavt yes, but unless someone really steps up, I don't think either winger on that line are adequate 

So, I am kind of the impression, we are short LW's at present and not RHD...but if one of our LWers elevates, it would help out...…………..

But this is one of the reasons I champion trading Edler and Tanev, and getting those picks now instead of waiting...….we are still short 2 or 3 top players and moving them would get us more inline with our "young" Core...………….

I also just see the need to keep Sutter with Beagle and Gaudette capable of holding down the 3rd and 4th Centers

We just have so many moving parts that need to be cemented down still...……...love to see them win right now, but it is just not a priority for me right now...……...

Thoughts?

I would trade Edler this deadline if it were up to me.  Nothing against 1 and 2 year deals come July.

Tanev maybe (!) the next deadline. But he's what 5 years younger than Edler. And his only conceivable replacement, Woo) on the right side is barely 18. I am more along the thinking it would be better to re-sign Tanev in summer 2020. Not risk a trade. Edler, just my opinion, is better overall? But Tanev's skillset unique.

Next draft is top heavy with centres, we could draft one of them and move one to the wing.  If there is a RHD that is close to where we end up drafting then picking  him would make sense too.  By the time he’s ready Tryamkin might be here too which is a bonus.  Too defenseman next year are York, Broberg, Byram all expected to go in the top ten. Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens expected to go top four all centers.

On 2018-11-09 at 5:08 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Could you imagine ………

1st Line

Thoughts?

If Edler would waive this year it would really help this team, we could always re-sign later...as a rental a contender would happily give us their first (25plus overall) which would give us two swings at the bat this year.  Sutter could also possibly get us a first too, and with Gaudette learning the ropes and Beagle our anchor contract it makes sense for the team to part ways for the highest bidder this TDL.  Even if we are still a playoff team I’d do both these deals, it’s all about the future at this point, even if the present looks pretty good.  Our core is barely getting going except for maybe Horvat who is approaching or possibly already in his prime, adding top tier prospects the next two years while we still can is a top priority.

Archived