The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crude Oil Train Derails in Manitoba

DonLever

45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Refineries equal bad to many Canadians. Helping out Countries like Arabia, US, Venezuela equals good to many Canadians.

And many Canadians need to seriously rethink their priorities. I'm really unsure how even the most leftist Liberal could argue that it's bad to economically strengthen our own country first and foremost.

A strong economic country means a stable welfare state (it's naive to think that we shouldn't do more around social economic policies to improve the safety net for economically vulnerable Canadians). Running yearly surpluses with moderate, common sense taxation ensures that public ordinances like welfare, EI, and other programs for lower income individuals are not jeopardized.

When a country is fiscally weak as it is under Trudeau, programs need to be cut as the fat needs to be trimmed off. Harper cut many programs during his tenure, so I'm not sure what the correct balance is to strike, but certainly running 18 billion dollar deficits is surely not going to help matters. There's also only so much that the Federal government can do to improve the day to day expenses of Canadians, more must be done from the provincial level, such as the BC government not signing ridiculous contracts to purchase surplus energy from donor buddies during non peak times when its un needed.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why we switched to these European numbers is a mystery to me?  Gallons, bushels, pecks.  Now that I understand! :ph34r:

The prairies the roads are all done in miles and the country runs on kilometers, thanks Pierre.

Tbh it doesn't bother me all I have known is the metric system.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, but I like big numbers.  :rolleyes:

The news will use whichever number is biggest to make it sound like a catastrophe. 5000m3 is a lot by all means. I was being cheeky because a spill of a whopping 1000 liters is the same as 1m3. It's a way for most sheep to get disgruntled and hate oil work. 

As someone who grew up with the Imperial system and remembers the switch to Metric, I'm fairly comfortable with both. In construction, I still use feet/inches, and I still refer to weight in pounds, but other than that, metric is fine.

It was funny when I took Electrical Foundations back in 2010.....we had a section where we were doing calculations for Aluminum power lines, based on miles and yards. Since everyone else in the class was at least 20 years younger than me, I was the only one who knew that there is 5280 feet and 1760 yards in a mile. I'm pretty sure everyone in the class asked me what those numbers were, at least once.

Archived