The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benn Wants out of Dallas

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

About the exact age where Bertuzzi started to break out.

Did you miss the part where I said it is a very young man's game now. It's very rare players break out in their mid 20's now.

Everyone uses Bertuzzi as the only example. Complete different era and set of rules.

I want the best for the kid, but his hockey IQ is a big issue. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

About the exact age where Bertuzzi started to break out.

Absolutely... and remember when Taylor Pyatt, Alek Stojanov, and Steve Bernier became elite, pre-eminent power forwards in the league!

It literally never goes wrong!

Edited by Provost

On 5/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, RRypien37 said:

Virtanen has now played 210 games and was drafted 5 full years ago. I hardly consider that giving up quickly. He will be 23 before the season starts. It is now a very young mans game. This isn't the NHL of old where players only began to emerge in their mid 20's. 

Juolevi on the other hand has yet to play an NHL game so completely different story. 

Yup.

Not only that, but Juolevi, as a defenseman adapting to NA ice, had 13 points in 18 AHL games (0.72 ppg). Virtanen, in 77 total AHL games, had 20 points (0.26 ppg).

Why anyone still thinks Virtanen has what it takes to become an impact, top-6 player in the NHL is beyond me. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Did you miss the part where I said it is a very young man's game now. It's very rare players break out in their mid 20's now.

Everyone uses Bertuzzi as the only example. Complete different era and set of rules.

I want the best for the kid, but his hockey IQ is a big issue. 

23 is still young. A lot of players stay in the AHL until they are 22 or 23.

Every player develops differently

Edited by VegasCanuck

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yup.

Not only that, but Juolevi, as a defenseman adapting to NA ice, had 13 points in 18 AHL games (0.72 ppg). Virtanen, in 77 total AHL games, had 20 points (0.26 ppg).

Why anyone still thinks Virtanen has what it takes to become an impact, top-6 player in the NHL is beyond me. 

Because he has a great shot, can skate faster then most of the league and hits like a truck. He’s still a kid, give him time. Not his fault the Canucks rushes him and brought him up too early instead of keeping him the WHL to develop his offensive game more.

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yup.

Virt still has work to do but to be fair, during his time in Utica, the Canucks had him focusing on his game away from the puck. Offense was secondary.

It takes longer for power forward to develop in the NHL because they basically have to re-invent their offensive game (can't push guys around like they did in Jr, etc.). Jake improved his defensive game and I expect his offensive game will now follow.....plus I think he will be a huge wild card when they are a playoff team again.

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

It takes longer for power forward to develop in the NHL because they basically have to re-invent their offensive game (can't push guys around like they did in Jr, etc.). 

This is a good point and I think Travis Green is the right coach for Jake because he was once there himself (although not a power forward in junior). Hopefully Jake takes another step forward this year. Hopefully he's been paying attention to the playoffs because that's the compete level we need out of him. 

Having said that, he's likely a goner if JB wants to make a big splash in the trade market. We just don't have a ton of assets to trade. 

• 4 years later...