The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benn Wants out of Dallas

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

It isn't really a crush.  As per my OP, if the guy wants to come home and put Dallas in a position where we don't have to give close to market value for him... we would be dumb not to.

It is hard to get top end talent, you can't do it by drafting alone as you get at best one player per year... probably one every 2nd or 3rd year that ends up in the top half of your lineup.

no you are quite prepared to pay a premium for him

and your posting regarding his value is inconsistent

hence my comment about the emotional component of your quest

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

no you are quite prepared to pay a premium for him

and your posting regarding his value is inconsistent

hence my comment about the emotional component of your quest

Simply not true.  I have said all along that he is a great player and that we shouldn't pay market value for him.  Not emotional at all.

If you think either of the two (quite consistent) trade proposals I suggested are a premium for him... you are just wrong.  Anyone without a massive hometown bias would agree.

My two suggestions of the basis for a deal. 

Juolevi and Virtanen for Benn.... a 3rd line forward with some potential to become a 2nd line guy and a prospect who hasn't made the NHL yet, and is optimistically a #3/4 D

Or

Juolevi, 2020 lottery protected 1st, and cap moving the other way in the form of Spooner and Baertschi... pretty similar value to the first one, but a 1st is worth more than Virtanen, so they would have to take on cap to make up for that value.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Simply not true.  I have said all along that he is a great player and that we shouldn't pay market value for him.  Not emotional at all.

If you think either of the two (quite consistent) trade proposals I suggested are a premium for him... you are just wrong.  Anyone without a massive hometown bias would agree.

My two suggestions of the basis for a deal. 

Juolevi and Virtanen for Benn.... a 3rd line forward with some potential to become a 2nd line guy and a prospect who hasn't made the NHL yet, and is optimistically a #3/4 D

Or

Juolevi, 2020 lottery protected 1st, and cap moving the other way in the form of Spooner and Baertschi... pretty similar value to the first one, but a 1st is worth more than Virtanen, so they would have to take on cap to make up for that value.

a premium offer

is one where you offer assets to acquire a player

where you agree that his salary you say is what he would get as a free agent

(which infers he would not get that is he was not a free agent)

so yeah . you are prepared to pay a premium

i'm done with this anyway .. good luck on getting benn

jb won't pay what you suggest without salary retentino

• Wat 2

SPECULATION: without having looked over the previous pages too much, has anyone considered that Dallas might try to "blow it up" if Benn wants to move on?

1.) If Benn goes, might Seguin (going somewhere else) be too far behind? And what about Radulov, if those other two go? 

2.) Assuming the big three agree to move, how many extra 1st round picks (and other picks and assets) might Dallas get over this year and perhaps the next? This depends on the market etc.

3.) The Stars currently have 5 pending UFAs, worth around 15 million on the cap come July 1. How many of them do the Stars want to try and re-sign (Zuccarello?).

4.) With three older UFA d-men possibly not brought back, Dallas has (based on contract cost) a base of Klingberg, Lindell, Oleksiak, Heiskanen and Honka. 

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
Typo

Meh,

Wouldn’t  trade any parts of the future for a guy (29) with a few ok years left. 

We need to keep building with youth so we can compete for a long time we start trading young guys for old guys so  what we can start rebuilding .......

No thanks. 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

4.) With three older UFA d-men possibly not brought back, Dallas has (based on contract cost) a base of Klingberg, Lindell, Oleksiak, Heiskanen and Honka. 

Lindell is on loan to the Finnish national diving team for the 2020 Olympics.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them to pull of a hockey trade for a defenseman.  Benn for Subban makes a lot of sense as a base.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Lindell is on loan to the Finnish national diving team for the 2020 Olympics.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them to pull of a hockey trade for a defenseman.  Benn for Subban makes a lot of sense as a base.

It could be the start of big changes in Dallas.

regards,  G.

I do wonder what it would take to get Panarin to sign. Benn is making 9.5 and to land him we'd have to cough up significant assets. Panarin in younger than Benn and wouldn't cost us any assets. Methinks he wouldn't be any more coin than Benn either.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

It could be the start of big changes in Dallas.

regards,  G.

If I'm running Dallas I move Benn for a defenseman in a similar point in his career, and offer sheet Marner.  I would be very surprised to see them not make big changes.

Edited by King Heffy

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If I'm running Dallas I move Benn for a defenseman in a similar point in his career, and offer sheet Marner.  I would be very surprised to see them not make big changes.

Considering the Stars would be up $17 million in cap by trading Benn (depending on what the Stars have to take in return), and not re-signing Spezza (or at least not for $7.5 million per), they have a lot of wiggle room to offer sheet RFAs. It does bring into question just how much the Stars want to try and sign Marner for vs how many draft picks they would have to give up. The Stars almost lost their 2020 1st in the Zuccarello deal (they lost a 2019 2nd in the deal).

If Dallas could trade off Seguin and Radulov for additional 1st round picks over the next few years (or even Benn, assuming he doesn't get moved for a d-man as you have suggested), then this could off set any losses by a successful offer sheet of Marner.

So, is Marner and at least a couple of 1st rounders from some other teams, worth more than four Dallas 1st rounders and at least a couple of 1st rounders from trading Benn, Seguin and Radulov?

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

The asking price might be too high but assuming he really wants out and we could get him at a lower price it would be foolish of JB not to inquire. He is a perfect fit on a line with Petey/Boeser. Maybe start with Virtanen and Gaudette and throw in some spare parts/picks like Goldy/Baer/Eriksson/Tanev? 

1 hour ago, Lulover88 said:

no matter what the local media might say , the owner of the stars can't stand aqua man ..   He would rather die than have Benn playing here in vancouver .. 

Unless thats part of Benn revenge plan , this deal is a joke 

Except that isn’t true.  They are currently doing huge business deals together.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/gaglardi-rivalry-with-aquilini-is-old-news-1.1120808

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

SPECULATION: without having looked over the previous pages too much, has anyone considered that Dallas might try to "blow it up" if Benn wants to move on?

1.) If Benn goes, might Seguin (going somewhere else) be too far behind? And what about Radulov, if those other two go? 

2.) Assuming the big three agree to move, how many extra 1st round picks (and other picks and assets) might Dallas get over this year and perhaps the next? This depends on the market etc.

3.) The Stars currently have 5 pending UFAs, worth around 15 million on the cap come July 1. How many of them do the Stars want to try and re-sign (Zuccarello?).

regards,  G.

Given the recent success of the Stars and this city coming back to hockey for the first time in a while, I do not see this happening. Benn is somewhat of a legend around here even if he does not deserve that title IMO. Seggy just signed a contract extension so I do not see him going anywhere either. Rads might be a nice trade chip, but he is very popular here as well. With guys like Hintz and Dickinson they have some very solid young talent ready to play now. The fans around here (including the non-hockey loving sports radio folks) really love the direction this team is going and with Bish having his best statistical season thus far, would not be happy. Give it one more year and see how things go. If Benn has any more "issues" with management I could easily see Klingberg stepping into the C role as he is becoming more vocal and already has an A. While this is all just a hunch, I spend a lot of time around Stars personnel via working with the Stars Foundation and Alumni through my local non-profit. I even got to drop the puck at center ice while wearing my Canucks undies on the down low lol. When Turco found out he wanted to puke lol. 

53581818_10216806102842888_5340617362414501888_n.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Given the recent success of the Stars and this city coming back to hockey for the first time in a while, I do not see this happening. Benn is somewhat of a legend around here even if he does not deserve that title IMO. Seggy just signed a contract extension so I do not see him going anywhere either. Rads might be a nice trade chip, but he is very popular here as well. With guys like Hintz and Dickinson they have some very solid young talent ready to play now. The fans around here (including the non-hockey loving sports radio folks) really love the direction this team is going and with Bish having his best statistical season thus far, would not be happy. Give it one more year and see how things go. If Benn has any more "issues" with management I could easily see Klingberg stepping into the C role as he is becoming more vocal and already has an A. While this is all just a hunch, I spend a lot of time around Stars personnel via working with the Stars Foundation and Alumni through my local non-profit. I even got to drop the puck at center ice while wearing my Canucks undies on the down low lol. When Turco found out he wanted to puke lol. 

53581818_10216806102842888_5340617362414501888_n.jpg

interesting - so with your local market knowledge, is this Benn wanting to leave story in all likelihood just BS? 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting - so with your local market knowledge, is this Benn wanting to leave story in all likelihood just BS? 

I always say where there is smoke there is fire, but this has NOT been discussed at all in local sports radio which tells me it is more of a click bait issue than anything. Bob Sturm is the co-host of our local mid-day show and a former co-host on Stars pre/post game shows. He has not mentioned anything about this so you have to believe he would if it had legs. Not only that, but the Stars picked it up after the comments by management so how is that a bad thing? A lot of locals saw it as the catalyst for turning their season around in the same way the Blues did with Berube around the same time. Benn and Seggy are very close so you would have to believe that would not go over well with Seggy either.   

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The reason Subban is in trade talks is to create cap space to be able to go after Duchene and be able to pay the Josi extension.   Benn costs even more than Subban.  

On 5/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Its funny how Lucic and Benn now want to come home. The Pettersson effect?

Or is it because they have run out of options made there money are both on retirement contacts and want to play the last bit of there careers at home......

id rather have niether build a team that can win for a long time with YOUNG  hungry  players eager to prove themselves,. We’d give up guys coming into there prime while the players we got would retiring that’s about as short sighted as not trading Tanev two season ago. Not to mention the UFa signings we had over the past 5 seasons. 

• Upvote 2