The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benn Wants out of Dallas

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I really want to steer clear of big signings/paydays for aging players (he'll be 30 soon).  This is a young man's team now...our leaders are Petey and Bo.  I don't want to mess with what we're starting to see form here...it's their team.  Period.  

If a guy wants out it doesn't mean we let him in.  We have to start thinking of this team as one that is emerging with a new identity, not a patchwork quilt.

Sorry I have to disagree Deb..

i think that philosophy has gotten the Oilers in their quagmire of problems for the past decade, and then some.

On the other hand look at the St Louis Blues..  powerful, resilient, vet presence warming onto younger players.

Not to say Benn would bring this.. but the right mix and blend of character beats youth and enthusiasm every time.

this IS about a Cup.

Not E’s for efforts or favorite players to watch play.

Its all beast in the end

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

but the right mix and blend of character beats youth and enthusiasm every time.

I don't agree with this - it's too general.

And, further, part of it makes my point..."character".   We're building a young team who is learning that it is "their" team - I don't want someone with an established past coming in and perhaps disrupting things.  It's a fine line and when your CEO rips into you, there might be a bigger picture that we don't know about. 

The right blend is correct - but it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to pick up someone else's high priced cast offs.  

One of the things factoring into "the right blend" is how a team gels..chemistry.  These young guys we've got are on the same page and I'm hesitant to just try another plug in and go that may or may not work.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/with-growing-fan-base-dallas-stars-on-rise-ahead-of-winter-classic/c-307365772?elq_mid=645&elq_cid=125278

Even more reason to believe they are/will not ship out any of their top-3 fwds this season. Too much riding on the Winter Classic and Benn is a centerpiece of that. 

Or conversely, they really wouldn’t want to have a big happy fan spectacle with their team captain wanting a trade out of there.  It could make them want to turn the page towards more positives.

On May 14, 2019 at 2:07 PM, Provost said:

Getting McDavid from the Oilers for Eriksson, with them retaining half of his salary to even out the money would be ever better!

(is there a reason we are posting insane things that have zero chance of happening?)

Many of us reading this thread have been wondering the same thing. Like why would JB be mentally unstable enough to give up a huge amount of assets to take on a wrong-end-of-a-bidding-war priced 6 year contract for a 30 year old player who is almost certainly already declining?

When we are not yet serious contenders and will be needing cap space to sign our own young stars before that grotesque contract is even halfway finished?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

If I'm Benning I'm on the phone right now making this happen. Offer Bo, offer Brock, offer whatever. This team has shown over the past two years we can't compete with the big boys so we need someone with playoff experience. 

10 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

If I'm Benning I'm on the phone right now making this happen. Offer Bo, offer Brock, offer whatever. This team has shown over the past two years we can't compete with the big boys so we need someone with playoff experience. 

Cough (troll).....cough......

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

oh then thank god your not Benning. Dodged a bullet there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Provost said:

Digging up the report to link, on 1040 they just talked about a report out of Dallas that Benn wants out and interested in Vancouver.

He has a full NMC so this would be only something if he did a Kesler and demanded a trade but only with Vancouver.  We wouldn’t want to give the return he is worth and he has a long time left on a big contract.

I would go as far as:

Virtanen

Juolevi

for Benn

It would solve or LW top line issue

edit:  can’t find the original report, but it is discussed on TSN here.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/kuzma-canucks-have-two-jobs-this-offseason-a-winger-for-bo-horvat-and-a-top-4-defenseman-1.1304269

Bunch of talking heads speculating, nothing of substance there.

14 hours ago, Provost said:

Or conversely, they really wouldn’t want to have a big happy fan spectacle with their team captain wanting a trade out of there.  It could make them want to turn the page towards more positives.

I understand as the OP you really want to hang on to your or others conspiracy theories, but I live in this city and literally talk to Stars Alumni on a weekly basis due to working with them through my two organizations. Brad Lukowich also coaches my disabled Veteran's hockey team. If there was any merit to this I would have at least a sliver of an idea, but I have heard nothing of the sort. If you want to cite a more credible source than be my guest, but until then it is just click bait for the fans in an otherwise slow time of year. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I understand as the OP you really want to hang on to your or others conspiracy theories, but I live in this city and literally talk to Stars Alumni on a weekly basis due to working with them through my two organizations. Brad Lukowich also coaches my disabled Veteran's hockey team. If there was any merit to this I would have at least a sliver of an idea, but I have heard nothing of the sort. If you want to cite a more credible source than be my guest, but until then it is just click bait for the fans in an otherwise slow time of year. 

The NHL has speculative trade clickbait as the off-season approaches? Can't be!

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:32 AM, artemchubarov said:

So, you're telling us that you work for Dallas. Got it!

Would love to have Benn here, but not at that salary for that long, there are already signs of decline due to the type of game he plays.

The more I read this thread, this really sounds like a couple of people who really want Benn even if it cripples our team and hampers our ability to pay our young players down the road. Are we really this bored?

That being said, i said my piece earlier in this thread, but the more I read this thread, the less I am for it. Though I love how so many people on these boards hound on Virtanen and Juolevi, think they're only worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick each, yet it's apparently enough for Benn! :huh:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, debluvscanucks said:

And, further, part of it makes my point..."character".   We're building a young team who is learning that it is "their" team - I don't want someone with an established past coming in and perhaps disrupting things.  It's a fine line and when your CEO rips into you, there might be a bigger picture that we don't know about. 

The right blend is correct - but it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to pick up someone else's high priced cast offs.  

One of the things factoring into "the right blend" is how a team gels..chemistry.  These young guys we've got are on the same page and I'm hesitant to just try another plug in and go that may or may not work.

I have a hard time believing that without some crafty trades and good FA signings in the next few seasons that the Canucks are going to fully build a contending team strictly with drafting and developing in house. Petey Brock and Bo are all nice pieces but are just scratching the surface for what they are going to need. They will eventually need to get aggressive with trades and FA signings. Your right about one thing though, as at the moment it wouldn’t be wise to pay a small fortune for a player like Benn. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, debluvscanucks said:

If you don’t have the “vet” presence already, you have to find the right ones to mix with your youth.

If your thinking that Bo or Brock will be those guys,. Then prepare to wait over 5 more years to get close to what a team like the Bruins has done on the fly..

and again something the Oilers can only dream about because they have taken the “young and enthusiastic “ approach for over a decade.

Dont confuse going to “The Big Dance” with your Friday night disco ball.

These pictures say it all for me,

Chara with his arms around Langley native, x Richmond Sockey, x Merritt Centenial, x Denver U, Danton Heinen.

.. and this entire ensemble that Cam Neely and his Team has put together.

This is a mix of Vet presence and enthusiastic youth.

ps. Justin Williams is a UFA this year ( 4.5m per presently)... and ten times the vet presence of Eriksson or Edler or Tanev

E630EABD-949E-47F1-9D87-F8787039D5EB.png

2CE2451B-E391-4482-8BE1-08E40093E564.png

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Benn comes out and puts the rumor to rest, like now.

Are there any actual rumors though? I don't think this is being talked about outside of our market. 

Personally, I'd much rather pay Skinner $8-9M and keep our assets. He's also 3 years younger than Benn.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are there any actual rumors though? I don't think this is being talked about outside of our market. 

Personally, I'd much rather pay Skinner $8-9M and keep our assets. He's also 3 years younger than Benn.

Considering this rumour's coming out of the same mouth that said Pettersson might want to go back home because the NHL's "too rough" or something, I'd take it with less than a grain of salt,

As far as I'm concerned, Ben Kuzma's gone extremely downhill in his quality and one of the least credible sources.

• Cheers 1