The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

still cant believe we nabbed Ferland ! Im soo stoked for this upcoming season, no one can mess with Petey now !

Totally agree

I can almost see TOR seeing what VAN is doing, and making a deal to trade for Lucic lol 

to TOR - Lucic and a 1st

to EDM - Nylander

3 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Stop saying myers was an over payment if he didnt like van as much as he did he couldve went and got OVERPAID elsewhere between 6.5-7.5 hes a top 4 D ....the only negative so far was not using tampa bays Salary dump of miller as leverage i think a 2nd instead of a first wouldve been more ideal but if he puts up 20-30 goals this season that will keep the haters hush hush 

So let another team make that mistake.  If Detroit wants to give him 6.5 or whatever you say...SAYONARA.  This player is a #4 on a good day and will get eaten alive on the top pairing with Edler.  Very happy with this offseason with the exception of the Myers contract, vastly overrated player who is about 3M per year overpaid.  We'll be sending picks to Seattle to ensure they take him in the expansion draft imo.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Totally agree

I can almost see TOR seeing what VAN is doing, and making a deal to trade for Lucic lol 

to TOR - Lucic and a 1st

to EDM - Nylander

The Leafs get back one of their lost firsts, save 1 million off the cap, and dump Nylander.  

Good trade.  Lose/Lose for two Loser teams. 

It is not this years UFA signings that will hamper this team. It is the over payment for players like Sutter, Baer , Rousell , LE and Beagle that are coming home to roost. He has not planned ahead at all and it shows !  

They will need to get Boeser signed for 6 mil or under if they are to make this work. If they can't then they are in trouble. You people can brag up Jim all you want but his managerial skills or lack of are showing through.  His contracts in the past have always been a little too high and a year or two too long.  

If it is gong to take 7 mil to sign Boeser then someone needs to go. At what cost to the teams future? We will see. 

15 hours ago, appleboy said:

It is not this years UFA signings that will hamper this team. It is the over payment for players like Sutter, Baer , Rousell , LE and Beagle that are coming home to roost. He has not planned ahead at all and it shows !  

They will need to get Boeser signed for 6 mil or under if they are to make this work. If they can't then they are in trouble. You people can brag up Jim all you want but his managerial skills or lack of are showing through.  His contracts in the past have always been a little too high and a year or two too long.  

If it is gong to take 7 mil to sign Boeser then someone needs to go. At what cost to the teams future? We will see. 

Apple boy ....not to be confused with tomatoe boy. 

Lets start with Tyler Myers.  btw, I didn't see this poll when first posted, and now I just noticed it.

Lets start with Tyler Myers, outside of Karlsson as one of the biggest names for dmans available, next in line is Myers is Gardiner.  despite what people think about him, it was projected by many that he will sign probably 6 or 7 probably 7 years, and around 7 million.  "he will get paid off because he's a ufa, etc etc" 6 or 7 years around 7 million

Benning signed him at 5 years 6 million per.  Reasonable, but lower then what we thought. what was projected to be a contract with 49 million 7x7 he signed for 30 million.  60% lesser then what the experts thought.

Regardless of wether you like the Miller trade or not, you have to admit, we are a better team with his addition.  You cannot deny that.

Jordie Benn nuff said.  Low cap, veteran player, who can stick up for his team.

let me cap it off by Michael Ferland.  it was rumored he was seeking Tom Wilson money.  most fans thought that's kinda reasonable.  he wasn't moved on July 1st surprisingly and he surprised everyone for 4 years at 3.5.  The Tanev deal he signed with Pittsburgh is looking stupid.

you can't deny wether banning Bro or hater Benning did very good with this transactions.  We are indeed a better team based on the moves.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, appleboy said:

To be fair, no one would have thought Petty basically destroying the SHL his draft +1 season and more importantly how he was able to dominate in the NHL so fast. Most fans and hockey execs would have thought he will need a few years to establish himself like the Sedins thus reducing the need to sign Petty to a high $ contract right after ELC. The fact Petty and maybe Brock became impact players so fast has moved up the timeline of the rebuild thus shortening the timeline that JB might originally have in mind when signing those quoted contracts.

With that in mind, the only really questionable contract out of the bunch is probably Beagle. Rousell is a slight over payment but manageable and more importantly trade-able and he does provide some needed toughness to the lineup we desperately needed after Dorsett was forced to retire. Sutter, and LE were signed with a completely different timeline in mind.

Baer is a great player for the price when healthy and for some reason became the new whipping boy after all the previous title holders left. I guess a lot of people just can't get over losing a 2nd round pick for him. Even if injured, he can go to LTIR so what is the problem here, there is no cap implication here. Same with Rousell while we're at it.

Beagle is over paid for what he brings and maybe a year too long on the term but that is the price you pay to get a then The Stanley Cup Champion to play of a pre-Petty Canucks destined to be dead f**king last in the league according to media and vegas odd at the time.

So hindsight makes these contract look questionable but at the time it was signed, these contracts are very well be planned out according to the perceived timeline at the time. Imagine Petty taking an extra year in the SHL like every one perceived when he was drafted and we somehow did not manage to get Quinn last year, the only big player we need to re-sign before all these 'bad' contract expires is Boeser and therefore no cap issue at all. JB definitely thought through the terms when signing these contracts, just turned out we are better than what he or ownership were expecting.

P.S. Also everyone would have thought Lu would go on LTIR like every other player in the re-capture situation so add another $2.2-3 mil to the cap when speculating what JB was thinking.

• Upvote 1

Lets just all agree that our management finally made some bold moves signing multiple key players that better our current team. We have seen year after year our gm's not doing anything when free agency comes around. It may just be me but it seems like more and more players want to play in Vancouver. It could be because of the up and coming talent we have with Petey (Nyquist wanting to play with him), Brock, Bo, and QH. I remember during the WCE days when BC boys Sakic, Neidermyer etc became free agents and we would never land them or any other big name free agents for that matter. For some reason it seems like that has changed and Vancouver is a lot more attractive now days to free agents... thoughts??

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Contracts were great and we got bigger so yeah pretty good, considering.  We have spent way too much money in FA in the last 5 seasons but at least this year doesn't seem like a disaster waiting to happen like many of the recent years did

I'm actually excited for once.  Last year I didn't like our odds still on team tank, but I knew with the addition with Pettersson we won't be a bottom feeder.  I feel this team can actually make the playoffs, I never had this feeling in a long time, we have Quinn Hughes I think he's automatically a lock in our top 4, we Myers should help with stabilizing the top 4, and we have Ferland and Benn who can deter rats like Tkachuk and Marchand if they want to push around our younger guys.  Also we have gritty guys in our top 6 forwards in Pearson and J.T miller who is also not afraid to scrap with other middle weights.  looking good.  Hopefully injuries don't pile up. 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:42 AM, appleboy said:

Boeser will get his 7 million everyone else is signed except Goldobin. If he goes is that such a loss? I wont be crying in my beer. He isnt going to make the team as it is.

Edited by mikeyman109