The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev trade idea #10,000 - VAN-WPG

So Winnipeg managed to lose 2/3 guys of their right side d. They don't have a legit 2nd pairing. 

Is this finally the trade opportunity that many have been waiting for?

Morrissey-Tanev e.g., would be a nice pairing for them. 

They've been rumoured to want to move on from Ehlers as well - could we get this done:

Ehlers for Tanev, Virtanen and another prospect to balance out the deal?

Jake would fit their size and speed game nicely too. 

Or is there a different deal you'd prefer? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Winnipeg managed to lose 2/3 guys of their right side d. They don't have a legit 2nd pairing. 

Is this finally the trade opportunity that many have been waiting for?

Morrissey-Tanev e.g., would be a nice pairing for them. 

They've been rumoured to want to move on from Ehlers as well - could we get this done:

Ehlers for Tanev, Virtanen and another prospect to balance out the deal?

Jake would fit their size and speed game nicely too. 

Or is there a different deal you'd prefer? 

I was thinking that Ehlers would be an ideal play making winger for Bo and Pearson.  I think Tanev (with salary retained) plus JV is very fair. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I was thinking that Ehlers would be an ideal play making winger for Bo and Pearson.  I think Tanev (with salary retained) plus JV is very fair. 

I was thinking that too, if it was the deal breaker. WPG doesn't really need the space but they are cheap so it might make it happen.

It would make the cap situation very squeezed but maybe with a mix of LTIR and Utica waives it could just be done. 

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure Ehlers and his disappearing in traffic and playoffs will endear himself to a trade concept for the Canucks who seem to be building a team of players who are not likely to disappear (even EP40 seems to have heart of a lion).   It is interesting that both he and Virtanen have the same number of career playoff goals - just Jake has been able to do it in 21 fewer games (e.g. none).

I'm banking on that being a learning curve vs. a character trait. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm banking on that being a learning curve vs. a character trait. 

Watching him play I am not sure Jimmy.  For his sake, I hope you are right but he sure does seem to shy away from contact.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was thinking that too, if it was the deal breaker. WPG doesn't really need the space but they are cheap so it might make it happen.

It would make the cap situation very squeezed but maybe with a mix of LTIR and Utica waives it could just be done. 

I actually think Winnipeg still needs to shed salary. They have $22.9M in cap space available but still need to sign 8 players, including Laine, Connor and Pionk. I am thinking those 3 alone may eat up $16 18M and that would leave them with only $5M - 7M to sign another 5 players.....not much wiggle room.

I can see Winnipeg maybe having interest in Tanev a 50% retained but I don't think I would offer up Virtanen as part of that deal though. It would have to be Goldy, Baer or Leivo in my mind. As you mentioned, this would create some cap problems for us so GMJB would need to be creative to make this work.

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I actually think Winnipeg still needs to shed salary. They have $22.9M in cap space available but still need to sign 8 players, including Laine, Connor and Pionk. I am thinking those 3 alone may eat up $16 18M and that would leave them with only $5M - 7M to sign another 5 players.....not much wiggle room.

I can see Winnipeg maybe having interest in Tanev a 50% retained but I don't think I would offer up Virtanen as part of that deal though. It would have to be Goldy, Baer or Leivo in my mind. As you mentioned, this would create some cap problems for us so GMJB would need to be creative to make this work.

I'd be thrilled with Tanev 50% retiained for their 2020 1st but doubt that goes down well. 

They must be pretty desperate for a right side replacement, if/when Buff misses games they are going to get picked apart. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Watching him play I am not sure Jimmy.  For his sake, I hope you are right but he sure does seem to shy away from contact.

yeah thats a concern for sure. Part of this is I wonder if Green will ever see Jake in a top 6 role? if Green's not going to give him that chance - a real one, not some 5 shift look - I'd rather put a guy in that Green has to use in the top 6.

Jake being trade bait this offseason makes me think they don't see him as a legit top 6. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be thrilled with Tanev 50% retiained for their 2020 1st but doubt that goes down well. 

They must be pretty desperate for a right side replacement, if/when Buff misses games they are going to get picked apart. 

That might be part of a package that could work. Tanev, 50% retained, plus Goldy or Leivo for their 2020 1st plus Perreault as a cap dump.

Won't help us this year but could be a way to get a 1st round pick back for next year.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think that is only true by speculators and not the Canucks.   Nothing on my radar shows Jake being used as bait by the Canucks.   I think Green was sincere when he said the best Jake will be the 24 plus Jake and he has a plan for the kid that showed some great strides last season.   This year with the likes of Pearson and Miller in the line up all year and Benn, Edler and Myers on the back end should free up Jake to be more of what he can be without feeling he is the obligatory big bodied guy.    I remain bullish on Jake to be a playoff horse in the NHL - and hoping that is with the Canucks (OR if they do trade him, to the Cats or Canes please).

I hope it does play out that way if we keep him.

But no to FLA. &^@# Florida. They've screwed us hard. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Hoglander    Pettersson     Boeser

Miller          Horvat           Podkolzin

??????       Gaudette        Virtanen

The reason I put this down Jim, is take a look at our 2 to 4 year plan

Maybe not even that long

Add into that our 2020 1st and 2nd, and we are getting fairly flush

especially when we have Madden also coming in at that time

with Lind or Jasek also a possibility...….

I am not saying Ehlers isn't better, but, that is a lot of youth in the line up

in the top 3 lines

If we are going to trade Tanev at some point, I hope we use him to acquire

either a defensive prospect or a pick

Besides, ultimately, I think Jake is still learning and will be a great 3rd line winger

which is needed on a cup contender.....

Sorry, buds...………...better than most of mine, though

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hoglander    Pettersson     Boeser

Miller          Horvat           Podkolzin

??????       Gaudette        Virtanen

The reason I put this down Jim, is take a look at our 2 to 4 year plan

Maybe not even that long

Add into that our 2020 1st and 2nd, and we are getting fairly flush

especially when we have Madden also coming in at that time

with Lind or Jasek also a possibility...….

I am not saying Ehlers isn't better, but, that is a lot of youth in the line up

in the top 3 lines

If we are going to trade Tanev at some point, I hope we use him to acquire

either a defensive prospect or a pick

Besides, ultimately, I think Jake is still learning and will be a great 3rd line winger

which is needed on a cup contender.....

Sorry, buds...………...better than most of mine, though

yeah thats a nifty top 6 for sure.

My preference would actually be for their 2020 1st, just saw that as less likely than a player for player deal. 

• Upvote 1

Benning has been very busy and he doesn't seem done yet. Now there's specultion that Tanev could be traded, and Hutton returned. Not sure how I feel about that, unless they can bring in another top 6 forward.

Curious what they do with Eriksson, as I can't imagine he being in the lineup in early October. This would be cool:

to DAL - Eriksson ($4,500,000), Tanev ($4,450,000) and Goldobin as a sweetener

to VAN - Jamie Benn ($9,500,000) 

The problem with Benn though, is he still has 6 years left at $9.5 and he's turning 30, which could seem like an anchor if he doesn't produce every year in VAN. It would also be very difficult to trade him afterwards. Also, they'll need to pay Pettersson, Hughes and Demko big money eventually. The good news, we wouldn't have to worry about Eriksson taking up a spot and lots of cap, or Tanev's injury woes every year. I also suspect that having the Benn Bros together, they would have a blast playing for their home town. Revitalizing their careers to win a championship at home.  

Ja. Benn - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - J.T. Miller