The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PP and PK - Thoughts on who fits where

Rate this topic

Silver Ghost

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I think if Sutter and Beagle are both healthy, Bo might not have to be on the PK at all, which could provide him with more offensive opportunities. Both Beagle and Sutter are sublime defensive centres who specialize at defense, so it would seem a waste not to use both on the PK. Maybe one of them plays wing on the PK? Not sure if that's feasible or not.

That's a big if. Sutter, I think since his recent injuries, actually isn't that great defensively, aside from his faceoff ability. He's slow. His career +/- with Canucks is -21. His even strength Corsi is abysmal, 41.3 and 43.1 the last two years respectively. A case could be made, that Brendan Sutter is nothing more than a 4th line grinder. I don't want to put 4th line grinders up against McDavid or Gaudreau. Not saying Sutter isn't a defensive player, I do think he can do that job and I do like him as a player, but I do not trust having Beagle or Sutter go one on one against top PP units.

Edited by Baer.

PP!=131  Miller

Boeser   Horvat  EPshoothome

Hughes

PP2 32

Ferland Gaudette Baertschi            odd man out Pearson

Myers Edler

Horvat Miller

Edler Stecher

Sutter Beagle                          odd man out Motte

Benn Tanev

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I’m not your pal. My friends aren’t dbags.

IMO Petey and Baer are the best playmakers in the team. I would put Horvat on PP1 because you need to win the draw. Petey has poor face off %. I think Horvats 7 PP goals last season were pretty acceptable but the main guys that should be scoring on PP1 are Petey and Brock.

Ferland played a total of 1 minute 39 seconds of PK last year. But yeah good idea to put him on the PK.

Yikes. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers my friend. I did not mean to offend you in any way. Which leads me to my next point:

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

PP was at it’s best when Baer was healthy. After he went down PP struggled. But, I imagine it doesn’t matter. Trolls gonna troll.

That's the caveat, "when Baer was healthy". Baertschi is one good concussion away from permanent severe injury, and we're going to throw him on the top PP unit against the other team's best PK units. Doesn't seem wise to me. I wasn't aware that disagreeing with someone on the internet made you a "troll" these days especially in 2019. When is this apparent "troll shaming" going to end?

5 hours ago, Baer. said:

Horvat won't play on 1st PP unit cause he already plays on the first PK unit. Don't want to overwork him.

Baertschi on the point on the first unit? Also never gonna happen. How do you not have Hughes there?

Also, what this guy said. Can't give Bo too many tasks to handle as he excels when he is limited to fewer of said tasks. I understand that everyone wants Mr. Horvat to lead us to the promised land but I honestly feel that he still has a lot to prove, in comparison to recent super-rookies Boeser and Pettersson (And this year, Hughes)

Edited by BrockBoester
Added quote
  • Upvote 1

Not sure we're going to need a PP2... :bigblush:

But if we do I'd prefer to see Edler on that vs. Hughes. I'd really like to see Hughes puck movement, and have the shot options for Myers and Brock, Petey in his office on the wall. I can certainly see Bo fitting into all that at the net but I could also see Ferland being a major agitator there too, with Bo and Edler for PP2. 

Lots of solid PK options, particularly when Roussel is back. Not worried about that one bit. Sutter and Beagle centring whoever is healthiest. 

• Upvote 1

1st PP:                  Horvat

Boeser - Baertschi - Pettersson

Hughes

Go with a 4 forward set. Horvat centers, plays the net front presence, end boards puck retrieval, Petey and Boeser from the half walls, Baer in the high slot, Hughes QB.

2nd PP:                Ferland 

Leivo/Virtanen - Miller - Goldobin/Edler

Myers/Edler

Miller as center, setting up in the high slot, Ferland as net front pain in the ass, rebound pouncer on-er, Leivo has a good shot from the half wall (Virtanen, if he shows more offensively early season), Goldobin, if we want to go with a 4 forward set on both (Edler if we want a 2-D set up), Myers hammering from the point (unless 4 forward set, then Edler).

PK is a bit tricky, because there's a lot of 2 man forward combos we could use. Off of a faceoff, I would do this:

1st PK:     Sutter/Bo - Roussel/Pearson

Myers - Edler

Bo in for Sutter when injured (and he probably will be), Pearson for Roussel until he returns.

2nd PK:    Beagle - Pearson/Motte

Tanev - Benn

Motte in for Pearson until Roussel returns.

PK:

Sutter - Roussel

Edler - Tanev

Beagle - ?

Benn - Stecher/Myers

? = Eriksson / Schaller / Motte / Miller / Pearson / Maybe Virtanen...?

PP:

Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson

Hughes - Myers/Edler

Ferland - Miller - Pearson

Baertschi - Myers/Edler

Edited by Smashian Kassian