The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vaping

-DLC-

I always thought smoking tobacco with a pipe somehow looked dignified. When I was 11 I asked my Dad to try his pipe. He must have had some horrid old tobacco still.

My problem I didn't just just puff it, I inhaled a lungful. I turned six shades of green. Barely made it to the washroom. Puked my guts out and coughed up a lung. 

I was dizzy for about 3 minutes, felt like forever. 

That turned me off smoking, vaping or anything else. Considering I also had a stroke, it's probably the reason why I recovered so well. 

Each to his/her own. Not for me thanks. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 112 said:

It might be that nobody is reporting on cigarettes any longer without speaking in terms of generalized epidemiological statistics. We've already accepted that cigarettes cause cancer, heart disease, etc., and it doesn't alarm anyone when it's disclosed in the news that so-and-so Johnson fell ill with pneumonia and died after being a habitual smoker.

I'm no expert and not really going to bother looking into it, but afaik it's quite possible to develop cancers whose etiology is linked back to smoking within a shorter time-frame than we typically believe. The public has it in its conscience that the health complications linked to smoking arise maybe after 20 years of use; but there's with smoking--likewise with vaping as has been reported in the news lately--risk of developing relatively immediate adverse affects as a result of tobacco intake.

Is there direct quantitative research/scholarship comparing the risk of death or disease from smoking with that of vaping within, say, the first couple of years after first and continued use?

I don't think they felt they had to yet because I don't think they expected deaths to happen so soon, but I'm sure now due to some of the deaths that are being linked to it, they will be checking that out asap. But it's a little bizarre how vapers are dying within in a couple years or less now, instead of 20 years down the road like cigarette users do.

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Some THC vaping products are in a Vitamin E oil base. That, apparently, has a long term negative affect on the lungs. The cells in the lungs get coated with the oil and causes them to stop functioning at their peak. That's still one of the theories being explored in some of the cases popping up lately.

Would make sense, I dont use those pre packed cartridges and personally am against them,  So lucky to live in bc and have such easy access to clean concentrates

Pathetic.

Each and every time any person has ever made a decision to inhale anything at all, was a Darwinian moment for them.

Today, there’s absolutely no excuse for ignorance.

If you are inhaling anything at all other than what a wolf might be, you’re an idiot and your genes don’t deserve to make it. 

The drain these puckers put on the rest of us, not just on our systems, but emotionally. Whenever I see a person sucking on one of these soothers, I just want to do the right thing for humanity and smash it into their skull as to just end the cycle right there. 

There should be zero tax-funded medical accommodation for decisions so costly to tax payers. ICBC has laws like that for gross negligence, maybe the medical system should as well. Whatever. 

I’d drag my kids off into the hills and chain them to a tree if they started doing this. It’s among the weakest, most pathetic examples of what our species has become. 

Vapers, you suck. Smokers, you’re even worse.

Love, anybody who loves you. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pathetic.

Each and every time any person has ever made a decision to inhale anything at all, was a Darwinian moment for them.

Today, there’s absolutely no excuse for ignorance.

If you are inhaling anything at all other than what a wolf might be, you’re an idiot and your genes don’t deserve to make it. 

The drain these puckers put on the rest of us, not just on our systems, but emotionally. Whenever I see a person sucking on one of these soothers, I just want to do the right thing for humanity and smash it into their skull as to just end the cycle right there. 

There should be zero tax-funded medical accommodation for decisions so costly to tax payers. ICBC has laws like that for gross negligence, maybe the medical system should as well. Whatever. 

I’d drag my kids off into the hills and chain them to a tree if they started doing this. It’s among the weakest, most pathetic examples of what our species has become. 

Vapers, you suck. Smokers, you’re even worse.

Love, anybody who loves you. 

4 older brothers, and father all died pretty young from smoking related illness.  It’s just incredibly stupid and selfish to smoke/vape.  I do get why teens start though.  

15 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I own approximately 11 vapes and I'm addicted to it. It's one of my favourite habits.

Your friend's son was probably using a cheap vape like a Juul which is made out of plastic. The burning plastic from the Juul is probably what caused this medical condition. Even though my vapes aren't made out of plastic I'm afraid this could happen to me as well. Might switch back to cigarettes. 

Dude, I don’t know you from Adam, but get off the vapes, now. 

Pull up your socks. Get that pacifier out of your mouth and get uncomfortable. 

Please quit, man. 

Reading what Deb’s relatives are going through is similar to what my beautiful wife tells me about from her experiences at work as a pharmacist. Others in the industry have the same conclusions about vaping. 

The self-induced hell this man is enduring must resonate with anybody who has ever experienced loss like this.

It’s a gut-puncher of a read, this thread, and one of the bravest things I’ve ever read on here. Deb’s cousin is a rock and doing this for guys just like you. Make it count, man! Do the hard thing. 

Not to single you out, sorry, but you vapers need to sort yourselves out, right now. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dude, I don’t know you from Adam, but get off the vapes, now. 

Pull up your socks. Get that pacifier out of your mouth and get uncomfortable. 

Please quit, man. 

Reading what Deb’s relatives are going through is similar to what my beautiful wife tells me about from her experiences at work as a pharmacist. Others in the industry have the same conclusions about vaping. 

The self-induced hell this man is enduring must resonate with anybody who has ever experienced loss like this.

It’s a gut-puncher of a read, this thread, and one of the bravest things I’ve ever read on here. Deb’s cousin is a rock and doing this for guys just like you. Make it count, man! Do the hard thing. 

Not to single you out, sorry, but you vapers need to sort yourselves out, right now. 

The same people that have sold vaping is "safe" through social media are the same ones that have been knowingly selling cancer for decades, and still are. That should give you pause when considering vaping under the premise that its "safer". Its like choosing to get hit by a car instead of a truck. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I forgot to mention this the first time, but another thing I read about 6-8 months ago regarding harms of vaping that didn't get as much attention because they weren't dying at the time, but that teenagers had their teeth rotting out after 2 months of using vapes, now if it can rot teeth out that fast what the heck is it doing to the rest of your body, ex. lungs....

• Upvote 1

I’m a high school student, and I see this stuff all around me. Let me tell you, I’d venture to say that between 25-40% of kids will try it at least once, and many of them become addicted. It horrifies me as these are so easy to get nowadays, and many times, it leads to worse drugs. Of the teen suicides that happen, a lot are from those with addictions to hard drugs, including one who had a bar of Xanax almost every day. He started with vapes. He’s no longer with us, and his move gave others in similar situations the “courage” to do the same.  

Vaping and other drugs are extremely detrimental on one’s physical and mental health, and there could even be repercussions that we don’t know about. I’ll never try the stuff because of health reasons, but it hurts to see friends of mine go from curious, to addicted, to suicidal. Then there are those going from cigarettes to vapes, and I commend them for trying to quit, but it gets worse from there. Some of these ejuices have more nicotine than cigarettes, meaning that it’s even easier to fall deeper into the hole. 

This whole mob mentality is only getting worse. Vaping is now “cool” by many standards, and I know people as young as 12 getting addicted. This is a real problem, and not enough is being done to save the kids. 

I saw someone say gateway drug, and that’s what this is. 

17 hours ago, 112 said:

Why are you sure vaping is causative of his respiratory issues?

Nobody considers vaping harmless; it's just common opinion that it's safer than cigarettes, which the literature suggests is likely the case.

You aren't wrong, but I think that's a dangerous mentality because it allows people to rationalize harmful behaviour. I see this as the main sentiment that most people use to justify their choice to vape. 

But I agree, this area needs a lot more research so it can be firmly documented what the risks are and how harmful it is - long term and short term. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I’m a high school student, and I see this stuff all around me. Let me tell you, I’d venture to say that between 25-40% of kids will try it at least once, and many of them become addicted. It horrifies me as these are so easy to get nowadays, and many times, it leads to worse drugs. Of the teen suicides that happen, a lot are from those with addictions to hard drugs, including one who had a bar of Xanax almost every day. He started with vapes. He’s no longer with us, and his move gave others in similar situations the “courage” to do the same.  

Vaping and other drugs are extremely detrimental on one’s physical and mental health, and there could even be repercussions that we don’t know about. I’ll never try the stuff because of health reasons, but it hurts to see friends of mine go from curious, to addicted, to suicidal. Then there are those going from cigarettes to vapes, and I commend them for trying to quit, but it gets worse from there. Some of these ejuices have more nicotine than cigarettes, meaning that it’s even easier to fall deeper into the hole. 

This whole mob mentality is only getting worse. Vaping is now “cool” by many standards, and I know people as young as 12 getting addicted. This is a real problem, and not enough is being done to save the kids. 

I saw someone say gateway drug, and that’s what this is. 

lol vaping is incredibly viable as a means of quitting smoking and reducing overall nicotine intake. you choose how much nicotine you want in the liquid you buy.

i went back to cigarettes because my vape broke and i haven't had the opportunity to buy a new one, but it was very helpful in reducing my intake and is definitely something i'm going to try again when i have the currency.

e: regarding not enough being done- it's illegal to sell these products to under 19s. there's not much the government can do if y'all younguns are buying black market vapes and juices without infringing upon the adult's right to put stuff in their body.

Edited by 112

We now have a new epidemic to contend with and it's seriously harming young and old alike.

If it's not tobacco it's something worse to make a few bucks for these huge company's with no regard to the harm it does to people.

In will come the lawyers and court cases will be filed,but meanwhile a lot of people have terrible consequences to their well being all targeted to younger people to get them hooked and the incompetent governments in North America are supposed to look after peoples health.

Here in Canada we have legal marijuana but it seems to me that once again the government is all for the corporations and not about helping people,as seen by what's been going on with it ,all the people that fought for it's legalization are out and corporations are stepping in to reap what so many people sowed over the years.Less quality more expensive,tell me that the government isn't working for the wealthy.

It would be like this for alcohol,a bottle half full of water is now more expensive,that is exactly what our government is doing because they are a bunch of nincompoops.

Lets help people, that's what it should be for,not always the money.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 112 said:

lol vaping is incredibly viable as a means of quitting smoking

i went back to cigarettes because my vape broke

Hmmm, not really supporting your first statement with the second part.  Is it?  Your own experience fails to confirm your argument.  

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

You aren't wrong, but I think that's a dangerous mentality because it allows people to rationalize harmful behaviour. I see this as the main sentiment that most people use to justify their choice to vape. 

But I agree, this area needs a lot more research so it can be firmly documented what the risks are and how harmful it is - long term and short term. 

For sure- I agree with you that it's something a lot of people use to rationalize their choice of vaping. It's still not good for you.

But on the other hand, it's an issue for me when, from the news, a lot of people are getting the sentiment that vaping is somehow worse for one's health than strictly cigarettes.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hmmm, not really supporting your first statement with the second part.  Is it?  Your own experience fails to confirm that.

?

It was a mechanical failure of the vape I was using and not something that was actually very likely to happen. I should have bought something sturdier, but it was absolutely helping me reduce my nicotine intake in the time that I had it and was getting me on the path to none.

My point is that going back to cigarettes, for whatever reason, means it didn't work.  Even if it was working, until you've "stopped smoking" then the rest is fairly irrelevant.  As a former smoker  myself - you either quit or you don't.   I dabbled for a long time but until I actually quit for good, I hadn't.

Being on the path to quitting through lesser intake of nicotine isn't there.  Part of the problem with smoking isn't JUST the addiction to nicotine...there's also the act of actually smoking something that some use/find as a stress release.  I did it.  As soon as I was upset or stressed, I smoked.  So getting over that "reaching" for something is part of it.  Vaping isn't supporting that aspect of things as it's still inhaling something then blowing smoke out.  It's like the deep breathing deal for some of us who smoke(d).  So even IF you reduce the nicotine and no longer crave it, the act of smoking is part of it.  You have to get over that hurdle and find "something" to replace what you've reached/gone out for.  

Even if it's a good transitional tool - if there are any concerns about health related issues - especially in the early stages before studies and research have been conducted - it's something to tread carefully in.

I wish you luck in quitting - it's tough, but it's so worth it.  :)

So this experience that I've shared about a family member is part of that.

Just as we don't have concrete "proof" that vaping hasn't caused this (despite Doctor's leaning toward that in consideration of previous health and ruling out other possible causes), there's not a whole lot of concrete and established over time proof that it's "safe"/"safer"/etc. at this stage either.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 112 said:

For sure- I agree with you that it's something a lot of people use to rationalize their choice of vaping. It's still not good for you.

But on the other hand, it's an issue for me when, from the news, a lot of people are getting the sentiment that vaping is somehow worse for one's health than strictly cigarettes.

?

It was a mechanical failure of the vape I was using and not something that was actually very likely to happen. I should have bought something sturdier, but it was absolutely helping me reduce my nicotine intake in the time that I had it and was getting me on the path to none.

“Quitting smoking was easy; did it thousands of times”.  -  Albert Einstein.  I read somewhere that quitting smoking is more difficult than to quit using heroine.  

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My point is that going back to cigarettes, for whatever reason, means it didn't work.  Even if it was working, until you've "stopped smoking" then the rest is fairly irrelevant.  As a former smoker  myself - you either quit or you don't.   I dabbled for a long time but until I actually quit for good, I hadn't.

Being on the path to quitting through lesser intake of nicotine isn't there.  Part of the problem with smoking isn't JUST the addiction to nicotine...there's also the act of actually smoking something that some use/find as a stress release.  I did it.  As soon as I was upset or stressed, I smoked.  So getting over that "reaching" for something is part of it.  Vaping isn't supporting that aspect of things as it's still inhaling something then blowing smoke out.  It's like the deep breathing deal for some of us who smoke(d).  So even IF you reduce the nicotine and no longer crave it, the act of smoking is part of it.  You have to get over that hurdle and find "something" to replace what you've reached/gone out for.  

Even if it's a good transitional tool - if there are any concerns about health related issues - especially in the early stages before studies and research have been conducted - it's something to tread carefully in.

So this experience that I've shared about a family member is part of that.

Just as we don't have concrete "proof" that vaping hasn't caused this (despite Doctor's leaning toward that in consideration of previous health and ruling out other possible causes), there's not a whole lot of proof that it's "safe"/"safer"/etc. at this stage either.  

Addiction is a diverse disease, dependent on the individual's psychology, and what works in stopping a given vice is different for everyone. Cold turkey is one way to do it, and it's helpful for some of the population that smokes. But that doesn't exclude other methods from being effective for some people.

I get what you're saying and understand that if one's interested in quitting, they're most likely to succeed if they REALLY want to quit. And there is, yes, the aspect of being addicted to the act of smoking as discrete from being addicted to the substance itself. But that doesn't mean there's no point in attacking the point of physiological dependence by using vapes to reduce the amount you're actually smoking.