The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 16, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

This. @Kanukfanatic I know it's frustrating when we get hemmed due to injury but in the cases we were it was of shots to the arms/legs which is the right call to keep play going. 

The play last night should have been stopped imo, but I'm not going to fault the Canucks for playing on when no whistle happened. 

The Av player tried to get up. The ref probably wasn't sure about the severity of the injury.  It was at the refs discretion whether to stop it or not. That''s the rule. I've seen our player have to crawl to the bench with no stoppage.

Maybe they should change the rule for head injuries so the refs have more clarity in those situations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.  And at times it’s not that hard to slip into that - we’ve definitely been victimized over the years.  Fans on other teams fall into this too - maybe it’s just part of loving your team and it’s practically impossible to be completely objective at times one way or another - because we are all invested emotionally in both the past, present and future.  Given how much time some quite a few of us spend on the forum, and even the occasional posters might spend a lot more time reading then adding to the conversations - not just the casual fans.     

Here's the thing: homers in all cities think their team is 'special'. But in the collective, they're not. The Canucks are one franchise out of 31. Like one of 31 McDonald's locations that dot the landscape of a city. The only thing that 'might' make one location more special or noteworthy than another is the people within it. Having special people within matters, otherwise you're just selling the same hamburger as the location down the street. Want to be something special? DO something special. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

True. The NHL shows they don't care if elite players are d bags...just look at marchand. 

Wayne Gretzky once called the New Jersey Devils 'a mickey-mouse organization'. Bobby Orr, according to referee Bruce Hood, had 'the foulest mouth of any player I ever heard'. What should the league have done about those two fellas?

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Wayne Gretzky once called the New Jersey Devils 'a mickey-mouse organization. Bobby Orr, according to referee Bruce Hood, had 'the foulest mouth of any player I ever heard. What should the league have done about those two fellas?

Sidney Crosby was ridiculous to the refs the first 5 years of his career too. 

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Perry strong words...what’s wrong with taking offense?  The game I watched we had COL on their heals most of the third period - not exactly a correct analogy of the game - but maybe he was peed off he lost all his face offs and was just venting.   If this bugs fans so be it - I’m sure it bugged some players on our team too - are they pitiful too?

That's all fine, you have your point of view. Good stuff. But why is it necessary that Nathan McKinnon (or anyone else) agree with you? I like people who speak their minds. They're real. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

There was a twitter post the other day before the game that said Bo left practice early due to the fact he was feeling some soreness, and even came out and said he was feeling it because his work load has increased substantially since Beagle and Sutter went down. He is playing through something and is playing huge minutes right now, and people are hacking on him asking what is wrong with him...it’s like we expect him to be a effing machine out there. The guy is a horse and when our center depth returns he can finally go back to getting some rest and will start scoring. I just hope he doesn’t wreck himself in the process. You were asking for proof and reasons why, do those suffice to you? They seem reasonable enough to me. 

We are going through some tough injuries right now, and our boys are doing their best to keep their heads above water. I said a while back we will see what kind of team this is when the injures pile up, and here we are, injury season is in, and most likely we will be playing the rest of the year short a guy or two. I still think we are icing a good product, they are doing their best to stay in games but the holes are pretty big right now to fill. Once more of our prospect depth improves we will see less and less gaps in our teams output. But that is still a few years away. 

By the way, I’m sitting in a beach in Mexico right now enjoying some rum n cokes. I suggest this as a great remedy to anyone who is suffering through Canucks Blues syndrome right now! But i’m no doctor, this is just a recommendation and by no means is the FDA approved...;)

Bo put up his best 5 on 5 numbers last year when both Beagle and Sutter were down too.

His regular non special teams play this season has been anything but special.

12 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Wayne Gretzky once called the New Jersey Devils 'a mickey-mouse organization'. Bobby Orr, according to referee Bruce Hood, had 'the foulest mouth of any player I ever heard'. What should the league have done about those two fellas?

If you are asking me, I could not care less what players say. 

Although if marchand got hit by an uber crossing the street I would probably just smile a little.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sidney Crosby was ridiculous to the refs the first 5 years of his career too. 

Exactly. They are human beings, not automatons. Especially after a game .... they're tired, sweaty, hungry, heart-rate and adrenaline still racing .... and someone shoves a mic in their face and people get all up in arms when something comes out a little catty. Big deal. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If you are asking me, I could not care less what players say. 

Although if marchand got hit by an uber crossing the street I would probably just smile a little.

I'd help him to his feet, but I'd probably still call him a rodent once I knew he was okay. 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thank you.

You're welcome. 

Then I trust that acknowledgment will be extended to players on opposing teams when they throw a sideways comment at your favourite hockey team also?

Remember Deb, a little animosity between players and teams is not a bad thing. It only makes the fun stuff even better. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Cheers 1

I have never been one to defend other teams...my loyalty is with this one and screw them.

It does make it better...which is why my feet are firmly planted on one side and not on the fence.  Because it's wishy washy to flounder around and doesn't support the rivalry aspect of things.  We are all...every team?   No.  I won't defend the Av's...it's not my interest to.

NM is a great player on a good team who doesn't need to do that.  To "make excuses" for blowing a 2 goal lead in the third that took them to OT.  Canucks damn well did earn that.  

I don't blame him for being pissed at the refs...so say so.  THAT would be more in line with speaking his mind.  

He also went on to say more and I've read it and it's not a big deal because that one part was sort of taken out of context.  But still was said.  But I'll never agree with an opponent who undermines my team's efforts in a game that the Av's had them already losing.  People use different standards for my team and other teams.

When my team uses a blown non call as a "reason" it's called out.  No difference here.

Over it....Nate is not of my concern.

I know these loser points matter and at least it`s something, but in reality the Canucks either win or lose the game. Yes, they got a point last night, but they still lost the game.  They`re 2-4 in extra frames this year, not very good. My guess is player deployment. When you look at straight winning vs losing, the Canucks are 10-11 for the season and 2-7 for the month. Again, nice that they get a point here and there, but consistently losing can take a toll on the confidence.  Hope they can get it together and win some games on this road trip.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jack Fig said:

Gretzky was ahead of his time really.  Only a few years later an actual Mickey Mouse team joined the NHL...