The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pettersson is playing with a lingering issue too. Calgary exploited it all game with impunity. 

Anytime you can hack away at a player without fear it's a good plan, injured or not.  That is unfortunately the place we're at with Pete. Once in awhile somebody that hacks him needs to get blown up.

8 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Rookie coaches lean on veteran players. Willie was the same.  Coaches trying to prove themselves worthy of an nhl job aren't going to risk their job on playing kids over vets too often. 

I don't know I would call Demko one of the "kids" on the team. And I think he even has better stats than Marky this season. Albeit that's not so unexpected given his work load. Still, by now, Green should have enough faith based on past play, to trust Demko more. If Marky is an 8.5 / 10,  Demko is solid 8 / 10.  There's not a lot of drop is what I'm trying to say, if any.  It is far more risky to overplay Marky, than the risk of giving Demko more starts, IMO

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

How this season will end, should help determine Greens' tenure as coach.  Imo, he is still developing (just like our young core) and I hope he wins with this group but his destiny is, mostly, in his hands and the players.

I watched the Bones Jones fight last night. He looked bad through 3 rounds but won the 4th and 5th, and looked like he could go 3 more.

he won the fight

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes. Pushing for a playoff spot is great for this team but it can be done with some youth, and or more determined infusion if need be. There seems to be some complacency in this team right now.

remember when AV was stuck with 10 players on NTCs and complacency crept in?

we could not blame the coach because the GM handed out all those contracts

We fired the coach anyway

Green has re-created the same atmosphere by never changing his roster.

Coach Green has  not willingly changed his roster all season

Injuries create a roster spot and wheb the player comes back its right back to the Oct 2 roster.

the only changes all yeear are Fanta and Gaudette, and even they were created by injury

I really think the coach has zero imagination, and that creates complacency amoungst the team

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I don't know I would call Demko one of the "kids" on the team. And I think he even has better stats than Marky this season. Albeit that's not so unexpected given his work load. Still, by now, Green should have enough faith based on past play, to trust Demko more. If Marky is an 8.5 / 10,  Demko is solid 8 / 10.  There's not a lot of drop is what I'm trying to say, if any.  It is far more risky to overplay Marky, than the risk of giving Demko more starts, IMO

I agree.  No reason to play a tired Marky.  

• Huggy Bear 1

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

Bring Baertschi up now! He completely fits our team identity anyways -- soft.

I've said it a thousand times - this team has had too much of a soft "Swedish touch" to go on to win a cup.    More Canadian 'men' required to go all the way.    We will never win a cup until that is addressed. 

18 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yup, Green is an awesome coach....now that my beer induced rant is over, I love Hughes.

Hughes played like $h1t with goofy plays, got trapped a few times and many incomplete soft intercepted passes.  He looked like a rookie last night - but I agree that in the long term he'll be O.K.  just stating facts................

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I've said it a thousand times - this team has had too much of a soft "Swedish touch" to go on to win a cup.    More Canadian 'men' required to go all the way.    We will never win a cup until that is addressed. 

2011 wasnt soft. Still didnt win a cup. 2012 same team, first round exit.

18 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Cats out of the bag. We fold like cheap lawn chairs when the game gets pushy. Ca t shake the narrative for 20 yrs now. Ferland better get healthy and be a force or we cut him. I'm sick of the excuses. Trim the fat. Erikson and cant believe it's not butter sutter have to go too.

Post of the Month!  You speak the god awful truth.  Your going straight to heaven!

10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hughes played like $h1t with goofy plays, got trapped a few times and many incomplete soft intercepted passes.  He looked like a rookie last night - but I agree that in the long term he'll be O.K.  just stating facts................

Quinn Hhughes played 44 games in each of the last 2 seasons.

He is currently 25% over that total with 27 games left in the regular schedule

I expect him to tire more as the season progresses

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

2011 wasnt soft. Still didnt win a cup. 2012 same team, first round exit.

With all due respect, what 2011 team we're you watching.  Once we woke Boston up with that dirty hit to their player in our zone (I believe by Rome - if memory serves me) they bashed us up like toys right until the end of the series, with the Sedin's being taunted right to their face with no push back.  WT heck do you think did us in?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

Quinn Hhughes played 44 games in each of the last 2 seasons.

He is currently 25% over that total with 27 games left in the regular schedule

I expect him to tire more as the season progresses

Yes indeed.  He is going thru what EP40 did in his first season - a reality check.  But in the long term I think he's a winner and keeper unlike Brock Besser which I've had doubts about since he got injured and no longer had the Sedins to feed him goals.   I hope he last but I have serious doubts about him and would not be surprised to see him traded before his next contract if he keep slipping backwards.Time will tell.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

With all due respect, what 2011 team we're you watching.  Once we woke Boston up with that dirty hit to their player in our zone (I believe by Rome - if memory serves me) they bashed us up like toys right until the end of the series, with the Sedin's being taunted right to their face with no push back.  WT heck do you think did us in?

With all due respect, were you aware of how badly injured our team was? They had nothing in the tank by the time we got to the finals. In and out of our time zone constantly, we travelled 10x more than boston. Boston had 1 injury and went through the eastern conference which has ALWAYS been soft. The Pacific and Central divisions take a toll each round

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

With all due respect, were you aware of how badly injured our team was? They had nothing in the tank by the time we got to the finals. In and out of our time zone constantly, we travelled 10x more than boston. Boston had 1 injury and went through the eastern conference which has ALWAYS been soft. The Pacific and Central divisions take a toll each round

I agree with some of your comments but once they woke up and change the game from skill to might that was the straw that broke our back because we had almost no push back.  (I remember Kesler - one of our supposed tough guys - getting hacked constantly by Chara behind the legs in front of net until he bled after several games of that - with no response) It was a disgrace how they shoved us around.  No one on the team had the "family jewels" to fight back. It was downright embarrassing!  

• Upvote 2

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree with some of your comments but once they woke up and change the game from skill to might that was the straw that broke our back because we had almost no push back.  (I remember Kesler - one of our supposed tough guys - getting hacked constantly by Chara behind the legs in front of net until he bled after several games of that - with no response) It was a disgrace how they shoved us around.  No one on the team had the "family jewels" to fight back. It was downright embarrassing!  

No one on the team had the energy to fight. We f***ing struggled in every game to play hockey. 1 goal wins at home and absolute sh!t kickings on the road. We were completely depleted. When you struggle to to muster up the energy to outwork a team, where the hell are you going to find the power to fight.

Kesler had a blown hipflexor from the 2nd round. Daniel was out for half a season with a concussion, Henrik got folded in half from Ben Eager in the WCF. Hamhuis blew his hip out in game 1 with a hipcheck on Lucic. Edler had a separated shoulder, Erhoff a broken finger, Bieksa had a pulled muscle, Salo got injured by that PoS Marchand when he submarined him in game 1 or 2. Raymonds back was injured, Malhotra came back from a nasty eye injury. This just off the top of my head, the injuries we had.

Boston.... Had Horton hurt...

Toughness isnt just fighting, its playing through injury and abuse and drawing calls. The Sedins were nowhere near soft. Those two took relentless punishment and cheapshots AND NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED OR CRIED. 

• Like 2