[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

salty, I like it

Again. Not concerned with that. 

Have you played hockey, at all Phillip? 

I’ve played soccer and football far more than hockey. 

Genuine question, because what you seem to think you see,and what is actually happening hockey wise, are two separate things.

I disagree, but have noticed that you’ve trotted out this statement here before with others when what they’re stating doesn’t quite jive with what you see. 

I dont think you understand the definition of pretentious correctly.  You know, when people are being unfairly negative/critical about things they dont seem to know, now that comes off disingenuous.  

No, you’re very pretentious. Trying to patronizingly direct others as to how to enjoy a sport and the team is just that. This is proven quite succinctly by the second portion of your last paragraph. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I would trade any player not named PETTERSSON or Hughes for either Tkachuk

Maybe but we dont really know the personality of both QH and EP to contend with the Tkachuk's ?  Question: do we want a team to take the personality, of the MT or EP40; someone who plays within the rules or at the edges.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Maybe but we dont really know the personality of both QH and EP to contend with the Tkachuk's ?  Question: do we want a team to take the personality, of the MT or EP40; someone who plays within the rules or at the edges.

Whatever it takes to win. Clearly the officiating in this league is in line with letting that happen. 

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I'd take MT over sleepy BoHo in a second

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’ve played soccer and football far more than hockey.

So really, what do you know about systems play then?  and are you aware of how it relates to player personnel.  this is old man yells at cloud type of stuff

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I disagree, but have noticed that you’ve trotted out this statement here before with others when what they’re stating doesn’t quite jive with what you see. 

Of course you disagree, because your stubborn AND ignorant

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No, you’re very pretentious. Trying to patronizingly direct others as to how to enjoy a sport and the team is just that. This is proven quite succinctly by the second portion of your last paragraph. 

Love it.  Salty about the Canucks, and then when others disagree with you about certain topics you get even more salty.  Talk about hypocritical.  OK I get it .

later buddy

14 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think Green purposely kept MacEwan off against Boston and Calgary so he could make an example to Management that he needs tougher players. I expect to see a trade come deadline day for some toughness..

I would love to see us get Ross Johnston from NYI. He is top 3 toughest guys in the league

you actually think that TG thinks that hard?

If Travis has shown us anything during his tenure here, iots that he has one plan and one plan only.

Set your roster in September and stick with it through thick and thin.

the guy  has had multiple opportunities to replace Schaller and Ericksson but comes back with them time after time.

I swear the only reason he mixes up the lines is because he reads his line up sideways

Travis Geen is a pragmatist, he does not have an original thought, he has no faith in any player to "bring something to the team" it is onl;y, "Learn this great system i have adopted" 

That is all he has, "Learn this great system I have adopted"

18 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'd take MT over sleepy BoHo in a second

Dont think Calgary would.  I like Bo as our Captain but he needs to show, ever so often that this is his team and douchery will not be tolerated.  Iam sure if the each one of our players will start standing up for themselves (first) then the rest will take notice.....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Dont think Calgary would.  I like Bo as our Captain but he needs to show, ever so often that this is his team and douchery will be tolerated.  Iam sure if the each one of our players will start standing up for themselves (first) then the rest will take notice.....

ah, the great Freudian slip

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

getting pushed around?

its so appropo

Sucks, for the Sedins and all there great accomplishments, that they are also remembered (by most/some) for the abuse they took with no response.  Responding, in that manner was just not there nature and they fought back the best way they knew how - can't blame them for being themselves...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Maybe some of it has to do with his family health situation. Can't be easy knowing that your dad's health is failing and you can't be there with him. They seem like a very close family.

Maybe you are right.

but maybe Brock just peaked early and got injured

a back injury is hard to come back from and a wrist causes loss of the great shot we vaguely remember.

He put one right in Rittich's bread basket yesterday, his shot used to be better.

He was never a great skater, but he has not improved.

Maybe his dad's health takes some of the fun out of hockey, there is no saying it will come back any time soon, if at all.

Victor Oreskovich comes to mind

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I have no idea why Green would not have played Demko for the last game of a long arduous road trip, especially knowing we had Calgary next up at home. And doubley odd since this was the season that for sure for sure the plan was to ease Marky's load, keep him fresher for the playoffs, and conversely give Demko valuable experience, if only to evaluate if it would be viable to trade Marky this summer. 

One small set of mistakes like that can help push this team into a tailspin.  Because now Green will feel he HAS to play Marky more to cover up his mistakes, and risk really overplaying him to the point of, knock on wood, injury, and on the other hand, keeping Demko rusty if he suddenly has to take the full load for awhile.

It also affects player management. What if Marky convinces Canucks that he has proved himself, and they sign him to a multi year deal. Then, good luck trading Demko if this kind sparse usage continues, and he isn't seen as proven yet.  I don't get it. It would make sense on a lot of teams to sit the backup, but we are in a unique, enviable situation, that a lot of teams are not in.  We have a great backup and so have the potential of mixing it up, and always having fresh competent goaltending for the season,  Once the playoffs start for us, if they do,  we can always sit Demko then.

Rookie coaches lean on veteran players. Willie was the same.  Coaches trying to prove themselves worthy of an nhl job aren't going to risk their job on playing kids over vets too often. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Dont think Calgary would.  I like Bo as a our Captain but he needs to show, ever so often that this is his team and douchery will be tolerated.  Iam sure if the each one of our players will start standing up for themselves (first) then the rest will take notice.....

Agreed. A lot of comments in here listing players who are not reacting better physically.  The usual list.  But they all lack mentioning Bo.  The sacred cow on the team. He's trying to emulate Henrik, its obvious. Where he really really wants to push back by scoring, not by being physical. Even if the other team is brutalizing our star players, the plan never changes.  The difference is that Henrik could actually, with his brother, back up his talk on the score sheet. (And when that dried up, along with skating, his lack of the physical side showed)

No two players can be the same anyways.  Bo's background is different, growing up in Canada culturally. Bo's size is better suited to more physical play.  Bo is not a natural agitator type captain like maybe Brown was in LA. He's not a pure scorer like a lot of other captains. He is built to be something in between. But all we see is him trying, with a lot of frustration and broken sticks, to be a goal scorer, assist maker. He is playing with the mindset of just another forward on the team. I am disappointed that he has not elevated his presence on the ice. I was hoping for more of a Toews style.  Captain Serious knows when to concentrate on getting goals, and when the need to step in to defend the team's honour, or even if its just to distract the team's play. So will Crosby. Just once in awhile even would be nice. I still hold out hope for a transformation in the playoffs. knock on wood. Linden was always able to adapt his play like that once the playoffs started. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sucks, for the Sedins and all there great accomplishments, that they are also remembered (by most/some) for the abuse they took with no response.  Responding, in that manner was just not there nature and they fought back the best way they knew how - can't blame them for being themselves...

isnt that true of all players though?

Bo is the same, we want Iginla but we get Sedin lite, or heavy if you prefer.

We want 2015 Ferland but we get Sutter 2.0

we want another crack at Neely, we get Virtanen

we want Chara, we get Myers

there are a whole lot of players wearing a Canuck uni that do not seem to care or want to get their nose dirty, can we blame them? no they are who they are.

Do we wish they were different? Sure we do, but not too different, not Mathew Tkachuk different or Lucic/Marchant different. We hate those guys and don't want them anywhere near "Our Boys".

We want "Characterr guy" in the Jim Benning "Character guys" mold

We want Brock taking that nice young girl to prom character , then at the drop of a hat, or glove we want these guys to become the BIG BAD BRuins, but not for ever, we want our soft cuddly charcter guys again after they SMASH MIKE MATHERSON'S SKULL THROUGH THE ICE, 

lets face it, the fan base is schitsophrenic , we don't really want hard ass hockey players except when we do

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

My original post is, it is not time to panic (with the picture of the current standings) cause there are still enough games left to adjust/learn and at this very point, they are still at the top of very competitive Pacific.  If you truly understood/read my post then we can perhaps agree on some things.  But you obviously, have your narrative set already, in your psychic mind.

Obviously, they need to play the games to learn and get better.  Secondly, whether they make the playoffs or not, how they play these remaining games (hopefully meaningful) will matter cause it will show the true character of this team (both players and coaches).  Thirdly, if they get to the playoffs, I hope they play a tough team cause that should only help this team (especially, the young core) get better moving forward (but who really knows and I am sure, when they fail, you will be there to point it out and let us all know).  

Anything else and please read the post before answering impulsively, so that I am not repeating myself. 

Nice back pedal. :lol: