The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

No one on the team had the energy to fight. We f***ing struggled in every game to play hockey. 1 goal wins at home and absolute sh!t kickings on the road. We were completely depleted. When you struggle to to muster up the energy to outwork a team, where the hell are you going to find the power to fight.

Kesler had a blown hipflexor from the 2nd round. Daniel was out for half a season with a concussion, Henrik got folded in half from Ben Eager in the WCF. Hamhuis blew his hip out in game 1 with a hipcheck on Lucic. Edler had a separated shoulder, Erhoff a broken finger, Bieksa had a pulled muscle, Salo got injured by that PoS Marchand when he submarined him in game 1 or 2. Raymonds back was injured, Malhotra came back from a nasty eye injury. This just off the top of my head, the injuries we had.

Boston.... Had Horton hurt...

Toughness isnt just fighting, its playing through injury and abuse and drawing calls. The Sedins were nowhere near soft. Those two took relentless punishment and cheapshots AND NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED OR CRIED. 

Twins were tough as nails.  However, they never initiated.  That was their only fault, IMO.  

26 minutes ago, 6string said:

Carry on....

Eventually you'll get there lol.

I dont think you understand what toughness actually is. Theres a story of Gretzky back in the 80s. They lost to the Islanders in the finals, Gretzky went and peaked into the Islander dressing room and they were slapping on icepacks, wrapping up cuts and bruises and they were kinda quiet after winning the cup.

Gretzky went back to his locker room and guys are laughing and joking and not in any pain. The following year, the Oilers won the cup and paid the price, sacrificed the body, took hits to make the plays, blocked shots and played tough in that way. Thats the toughness you need to win a cup. Yes we do need to stick up for one another, which was the intention behind signing Ferland and Roussel and why we have been linked to going after Simmonds. But we dont need a goon to do this. We just need some skill with grit in the top 6. Not a goon on the 4th line to warm a bench until its his time to shine, its a waste of a roster spot.

Edit: The Canucks had that toughness. They fought through injury and put everything on the line. They just ran out of steam after such a long journey and the injury toll adding up game after game.

We didnt get to game 7 being soft.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/gretzky-recalls-great-rivalry/c-466223

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Haha 1

Green played with the likes of Bertuzzi, Tkachuk, Doan, Roberts, Tucker, Pronger, Domi, Roenick to name a few. Let’s just say some very gritty teams.

I would be surprised if he’s happy playing this soft brand of hockey. I wonder how much him and Benning talk about adding more toughness to the lineup.

This one stung a lot. Came home from the game disappointed, and almost 24 hours later, even more disappointed. It was tough to sit in the stands and watch our franchise player get whacked and hacked all night. Disgraceful really. Could care less about the score or the result, you can't win them all, but you should ALWAYS protect your players. 

This goes for everyone, not just Petey, or Boeser, or Hughes. I'm sick and tired of seeing Schaller, Eriksson, Roussel skate around the rink and do absolutely nothing to contribute. If you can't score, at least go out there and mix it up with someone, get under the skin of the opposition. Petey was rattled as hell, and I can fully understand why. Schaller should not get another game this season, he is a waste of space and has more than enough opportunities to prove himself. MacEwen is more than capable and shows a lot more aggression / intensity. I'd even give Bailey a shot over Schaller. 4th line should bring energy, but they gave the other line more energy every time they were out. Not blaming this all on Schaller, but he isn't part of the solution right now. Also, if Roussel is not 100% he shouldn't be playing. I understand he had a lengthy recovery, but right now we need guys who are ready to play and ready to give it their all. It's crunch time now. Lastly, leave Virtanen on that line with Petey and Miller, with Brock there, Pettersson seems to be getting ragged around. When Boeser comes back, put him with Bo and Pearson and maybe our "2nd line" will have some offensive contribution that is not only on an empty net.

Edited by Bo.Horvat53
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, High and Inside said:

People honestly need to get real. On paper nobody expected this team to even come close to the playoffs and 3/4 quarters through the season there first in the division and all they want to do is fire the coach. Half the roster is having career seasons and the 3 of the 4 best players on the team are under 22. Yes the team is going to struggle from time to time!! Our young guys will get tougher and overcome the in game tactics other teams do to throw them off there game.

You seem to be the only one that thinks that on paper this team can’t make the playoffs 

I am pretty sure JB himself said that was the objective this year and I am pretty sure that “nobody” happens to be the GM 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Green played with the likes of Bertuzzi, Tkachuk, Doan, Roberts, Tucker, Pronger, Domi, Roenick to name a few. Let’s just say some very gritty teams.

I would be surprised if he’s happy playing this soft brand of hockey. I wonder how much him and Benning talk about adding more toughness to the lineup.

Which Benning tried with guys like Prust, Dorsett, Gudbranson, Roussel, Ferland... unfortunately all of which missed significant time. We add toughness and lose it in the same breath. Cant stay healthy.

I would love to add someone like Evander Kane who shoots, hits, drives the net, scores AND fights. He would be a great addition to the top 6 to be one of those pushback guys we need on the ice to protect guys like Petey. Kane is a star and defends himself and his teammates.

Unfortunately with his contract it would be very difficult with upcoming contracts like Petey, Marky, Demko, Hughes etc

MT destroyed the Canucks, again. 
Almost a Gordy Howe hatty. 

I wonder what that’s like for JB; what does he think of when that kid dominates the Canucks? 

On the same night, the other Tkachuck brother picks a fight with Wheeler after delivering a huge hit.
Which Canuck would even survive that? 

Best of luck with your future back issues, EP. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You seem to be the only one that thinks that on paper this team can’t make the playoffs 

I am pretty sure JB himself said that was the objective this year and I am pretty sure that “nobody” happens to be the GM 

Canucks were not expected to make the playoffs. We were projected to be a bottom 6 team by all the “experts”.

The goal was to be competitive and have meaningful games down the stretch. We have surpassed our goal of being competitive and have become a team capable of making the playoffs and potentially winning our division.

No one saw such a drastic turn around from bottom 6 to top 10 in the league.

We are going through a dry spell and struggling a bit right now, but we can right the ship and stay on course

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

MT destroyed the Canucks, again. 
Almost a Gordy Howe hatty. 

I wonder what that’s like for JB; what does he think of when that kid dominates the Canucks? 

On the same night, the other Tkachuck brother picks a fight with Wheeler after delivering a huge hit.
Which Canuck would even survive that? 

Best of luck with your future back issues, EP. 

Dominate? Lol.

He had a draw in a fight and had a lucky break where he was all alone on Marky and kicked it in.

I know people like to continue the Tkachuk vs Juolevi debate but at least call it like it is.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Dominate? Lol.

He had a draw in a fight and had a lucky break where he was all alone on Marky and kicked it in.

I know people like to continue the Tkachuk vs Juolevi debate but at least call it like it is.

Dominated is a strong word, agreed. 

I get you’ll feel like diminishing his game and results. No problem. He’s a Flame. 

MT had a major impact on that game and has in almost every game these two teams have had.

You choose the apt word to describe his grasp on the Canucks’ fate in those games. I’m fine with it, but I’m still going with mine. 

Let’s  take this up during their next meeting. 

15 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Canucks were not expected to make the playoffs. We were projected to be a bottom 6 team by all the “experts”.

The goal was to be competitive and have meaningful games down the stretch. We have surpassed our goal of being competitive and have become a team capable of making the playoffs and potentially winning our division.

No one saw such a drastic turn around from bottom 6 to top 10 in the league.

We are going through a dry spell and struggling a bit right now, but we can right the ship and stay on course

Aquaman must not care then. 
He let JB spend to the cap to draft top 5-7 again? 

You say the Canucks were expected to challenge LA, Detroit and Ottawa for the lottery, but I don’t recall that, nor do I believe that’s what JB told Aquaman he’d do with all that cash. 

The Canucks were largely predicted to be in wildcard country, from what I recall, after all those signings.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said.

We should remind fans that it’s an 82 game grind, which rests entirely on EP’s health. I thought they’d be a decent playoff team, but not without Firkland, etc. 

IMO, JB predictably has a very quiet TDL. 
- safe than sorry stuff. 

• Cheers 3

Jim Bennings biggest mistake will not turn out to be MT versus OJ. It will be cap management. 

Teams have such a small window for winning the cup. They need to be able to add at just the right time. The Canucks are going to have real problems adding better and more depth players over the next couple of years. Unless they can clear space or some of our young prospects arrive next year or two. 

Bring on Bailey.  

• Thanks 1