The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

My favourite part of this trade is the intangible piece - chemistry. So often these TDL rental deals don't work because the player doesn't have time to build chemistry with the team. But in this case Benning went out and got a guy who played, quite successfully, with Pearson, and they also happen to be buddies. Of course its not a guarantee but this deal has so much more potential to be successful because of the chemistry element thats so often missing in rental deals.

I'm not worried about the fit with Bo at all, he's shown he can be successful with almost anyone. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

the canucks may currently have the best top 6 (when healthy) they ever have -- and more importantly, the most playoff-built. 

miller, horvat, pearson, toffoli, and virtanen in the top 6. that's a lot of heavy, grinding, straight line players. 

plus roussel, sutter, beagle, motte, macewen throughout the rest of the forward group. 

if the canucks lose in the first round, the team that beats them will be ground chuck. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Building for the playoffs...when the refs put their whistles in their pocket and only call penalties against the Canucks.

Players need to handle the rough and tough going in the playoffs.

Madden is skilled but is small and questionable impact playoff player....we'll see how NE (North Eastern) does in the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Think if Toffoli helps us make the playoffs management will be fine with the deal - it's a business after all and there is nothing like success in this one to boost the stock.  Plus the added revenue of two gauranteed home games puts money in owners pockets fast.   A couple series and party time for sure.

Now that I've had an hour to think about it I definitely understand the deal from that point of view but it definitely comes at a modest risk of giving up on a player that could have helped the team long term and displaced an expensive vet that now we don't have any replacements for.   Not sure how to do the math on that one.   On the flip side not sure how to do the math on if this deal just saved the season and playoff experience added to our young core...

One things for sure JB had big cajones - he just might have wagered his future on this one deal.   Think it has a high change of working so good for him.   Given BB, Leivo and Ferland are out this makes sense.  If they weren't doubt it would have ever happened so not sure if he's anything more then a rental (yet). 

I totally get the deal....

They actually suggested this on TSN panel a week or two ago...

I didn't get it at the time, as I wanted more steel into the line up in stead, but though the price would be too steep leading up to the deadline.

However, Benning is not blind. He sees the same, we see...I actually think, he would have preferred more steel, but circumstances may have forced his hand.

At this stage of the season you can't go on a losing streak, as there won't be time to catch up. The team has been struggling a bit. In particular with BB out (as well as Leivo, Ferland and Motte).

So he made a deal that brought in a proven PO performer, who won a cup playing on the same line as one of our players.... better chance of instant chemistry.

As you rightly say despite of, what we, the fans, think about the team, cup etc it's also a business, and the owners wants to see some sort of reward for their investments.

So while its not only very beneficial to the players development, to get to the play offs, its also very beneficial to Jim Benning and coach Greens future...

Management seldom get to see the fruits of the seed they sow, and Benning is well aware of that fact....

Price...? A second (hopefully after 46th pick), Madden and Schaller (cap dump)...

Madden is undoubtedly good prospect, but he is still probably at least 3 years away from making the NHL, especially being a lightweight.

It could come back to haunt us, but just it looks good. Especially should Toffoli sign with us again in the summer.

The good drafting by Benning also makes it easier to absorb losing one of our prospects.

Benning is doing his best to give the team a chance to continue the hunt for/reach the Play offs (which probably was the target from the beginning)... and yes, I also have a feeling that his own job, may, if not be on the line, then at least be less secure should they fail miserably.

Thus he really had to make this deal...

• Cheers 3

Just now, smithers joe said:

getting a 2nd round pick could be easy to get before the draft. i wonder if jim talked to toffoli’s agent before the trade to judge his wants? 

I would guess that he may have. I don't know if we can recover a 2nd, maybe. We may have an easier time getting prospects that are further developed (e.g., like the Motte deal) and that might be preferable and Brackett would have more to go on to judge which prospects we want to try to target. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would guess that he may have. I don't know if we can recover a 2nd, maybe. We may have an easier time getting prospects that are further developed (e.g., like the Motte deal) and that might be preferable and Brackett would have more to go on to judge which prospects we want to try to target. 

Would Demko (at the draft) be worth a second or more?  

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Seems logical to re-up Markstrom however I suspect he may be a 'move out' option in the summer after re-signing him. just a hunch. money saving move while buying out Loui E.?

Only way we move Marky is by letting him walk as a UFA.

Loui’s contract is buyout proof.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Only way we move Marky is by letting him walk as a UFA.

Loui’s contract is buyout proof.  

buyout proof, booo. Didn't know that existed. lol

offseason his NTC becomes 15 team no trade list, i see now, so maybe shipped ot a bottom cap team in need of cap dollars for nothing or nearly nothing. ?

I don't see letting him walk away, likely re-signed but I susupect moved sometime during the contract. Before the Nucks got lucky and good faster than predicted Marky was not our goalie of the future and his GAA is still 30th overall in the league, despite the team being hot as heck. IMO he is a weak link that is serviceable in the NHL for sure, but is he the guy we want for 4 or 5 more years between the pipes? I dunno.