The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

19 hours ago, gurn said:

So you can't name any of, "the many fired by these guys", but it won't stop you from wrongfully saying guys got fired?

Linden- not fired

Brackett not fired

Swedish scout, I have no idea who you are talking about here.

Well I guess you will have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

You can only testify to the accuracy if you are or have access to better information.

Of course opinion can be a judgement of available facts, not all specific, but using a basic common sense, I mean if you smell something bad you don't have to see it and if the smell has peculiar attributes such as a flower vs a rotten apple common sense would indicate good or bad.

Sometimes a preponderance of rumors can come from people who don't want their jobs or reputations put in jeopardy, but often where there is smoke there is fire.

There are lots of rumors out there and now it is hitting mainstream media and there are people admitting to hearing and telling what they hear, Vancouver is a laughing stock behind closed doors. Mainstream edia is now looking at thing like all the main players that drafted Pettersson, Hughes and Holander the people that were good will be gone less than 3 years later., That is a fact

The only thing that smells bad is our useless media with a long history of shoveling horse excrement.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Imagined skeletons of yours?

Yes, he was paid the previous going rate for a 2nd line F. He will now be paid the going rate for a 2nd forward in a league with covid reduced revenue. That will likely be at or just over $5m.

Not sure what orifice you pulled the first bit from but yes, he may very well stay or go. That doesn't change his value as a 2nd line W.

They may. That likewise doesn't change his value.

Please show me where I suggested trading Demko? You seem to really enjoy red herring.

I don't even know what this means lol

Again, please quote where I said this. Another red herring. All I've done is point out nonsense you've posted.

Brackett may stay or go but he has been offered an extension, he's not going to be fired. If he leaves, it will be of his own accord.

Don't take every thing so personally, sometimes posts can include responses to several posters other than just yourself.

Sure 25 year old Demko wants to be a backup for another 5 years and of course Seattle would not want to select him even if it is for a follow up trade. How many really good goalies will be available to Seattle? Who on the Canucks will be a better selection for that draft? 

What makes you so sure Toffoli want to stay here or has to? He was just as important to LA, playing first and second line duties and they have more money and a better tax situation.

8 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Don't take every thing so personally, sometimes posts can include responses to several posters other than just yourself.

Sure 25 year old Demko wants to be a backup for another 5 years and of course Seattle would not want to select him even if it is for a follow up trade. How many really good goalies will be available to Seattle? Who on the Canucks will be a better selection for that draft? 

What makes you so sure Toffoli want to stay here or has to? He was just as important to LA, playing first and second line duties and they have more money and a better tax situation.

Not taking anything personally. Now your applying red herrings to trading Demko and my emotional state? :lol:

I never said he wanted to back up for 5 years.

I never argued Seattle wouldn't potentially consider him.

I never said I was sure of anything about Toffoli (though there is indeed plenty of reasons for him to stay and to not return to LA).

I've found you your new avatar:

red-herring.jpg

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

I haven't been waiting, long since gone on to other conversation where people can back up what they say.

Who are their sources? I mostly post about what I am hearing on TSN or Rogers or 1040 or 650 or their websites. Mostly

36 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Who are their sources? I mostly post about what I am hearing on TSN or Rogers or 1040 or 650 or their websites. Mostly

Still not going to name any of the people fired?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Put me in the camp that sees Brackett as a significant loss. Especially if Weisbrod is the replacement. I won't go as far as guys like JD in carving the Canucks, but the returns with Brackett have been good. Not as sure about Weisbrod's judgements. 

I do think this whole thing is being over blown tho. It's a dramatic hockey market needing something to get worked up over.

I wonder what Benning would ask for if Minnesota called about Boeser. 

That team needs so much help, I wouldn’t know where to start and the Canucks are in a position to listen. 

I’ve always enjoyed Staal’s game. Does he have one great season left? 
Jordan Greenway fits my Canucks roster, no question. 

Maybe these two teams can exchange their old men or something. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That team needs so much help, I wouldn’t know where to start and the Canucks are in a position to listen. 

Boeser for Suter...and a time machine that ages him back ten years? :P

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Minnesota had a very poor start to the season but got gradually better as their young players progressed.  They also had a very tough schedule to start the season with so much time on the road.  Friedman on one of his podcast said a GM told him that it was cause for firing had someone on his team accepted such a schedule.  Dubnyk's wife also had a serious medical condition where her life was at risk  - he spent a fair bit of time away from the team and never got his game on track.

The Wild actually outperformed the Canucks from 1 November onwards.  They have been 0.616 (good for 9th in the league) vs 0.535 (22nd) for the Canucks from that date on.  Over the season the Wild have outscored the Canucks at 5v5 - 156 goals for the Wild vs 142 for the Canucks who do their damage on the PP.   

The Wild has been one if not the best defensive team in the league but goaltending has been below average.  They have Kakhonen in the system - he was drafted the same year as Demko and they see him as their future starter so help is on the way.  The Canucks are the opposite - weak defensively with Markstrom bailing them out.  

The Wild's weakness is C1 and C2.   Staal is playing C1 when he really should be C2.  They have Galchenyuk playing C when none of his former teams think he can play the position.  Kunin and Donato are wingers that were also forced to play C at times.  That's why the cost for Dumba is a C1 or C2+.  

The Wild don't have playmakers let alone of Pettersson's calibre to set Boeser up.  He is unlikely to be as productive on their team.  I don't see them having interest given the possible ask and he doesn't really fit their lineup.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mll said:

Minnesota had a very poor start to the season but got gradually better as their young players progressed.  They also had a very tough schedule to start the season with so much time on the road.  Friedman on one of his podcast said a GM told him that it was cause for firing had someone on his team accepted such a schedule.  Dubnyk's wife also had a serious medical condition where her life was at risk  - he spent a fair bit of time away from the team and never got his game on track.

The Wild actually outperformed the Canucks from 1 November onwards.  They have been 0.616 (good for 9th in the league) vs 0.535 (22nd) for the Canucks from that date on.  Over the season the Wild have outscored the Canucks at 5v5 - 156 goals for the Wild vs 142 for the Canucks who do their damage on the PP.   

The Wild has been one if not the best defensive team in the league but goaltending has been below average.  They have Kakhonen in the system - he was drafted the same year as Demko and they see him as their future starter so help is on the way.  The Canucks are the opposite - weak defensively with Markstrom bailing them out.  

The Wild's weakness is C1 and C2.   Staal is playing C1 when he really should be C2.  They have Galchenyuk playing C when none of his former teams think he can play the position.  Kunin and Donato are wingers that were also forced to play C at times.  That's why the cost for Dumba is a C1 or C2+.  

The Wild don't have playmakers let alone of Pettersson's calibre to set Boeser up.  He is unlikely to be as productive on their team.  I don't see them having interest given the possible ask and he doesn't really fit their lineup.

Well done and said. 
Not much room for me to counter. 

While I’m at it though, what would it take to get Greenway? 

2 hours ago, mll said:

I wonder if they'd have any interest in Sutter 50% retained? he could take the harder defensive draws and match ups leaving Chucky more offensive time. That would be a decent quality add at 2.2 mil.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if they'd have any interest in Sutter 50% retained? he could take the harder defensive draws and match ups leaving Chucky more offensive time. That would be a decent quality add at 2.2 mil.

ErikssonEk takes their tough defensive matchups - his line goes up against McDavid, MacKinnon and the likes.  Their young players have to take on those key roles for the team to continue to progress.  Koivu is likely not coming back but they have Nico Sturm to step in as C4.  There doesn't seem to be a role for Sutter.

Galchenyuk is UFA and it's still unclear whether they will bring him back.  There's not necessarily room for him as lineup regular as they are expected to add Kaprisov in an offensive role.  They are expected to buy out Rask so it would open up a spot but he was F13.  On a short and cheap deal maybe.

Parise(NMC) Staal  Fiala

Kaprisov Kunin Zuccarello(NMC)

Greenway ErikssonEk Foligno

Donato Sturm Hartman

(Rask)

Doesn't feel like Parise would waive his NMC this time around.  Don't see a taker for Zuccarello who has a full NMC.  They have no one to replace Staal at C1.  They apparently had several calls for Foligno at the TDL but Guerin didn't want to move him.  

The others are still young - Hartman is the oldest at 25 and will still be a RFA once his deal is up in a year.   Don't really see them moving out a young player to get Sutter in the lineup.   Maybe Hartman but he will drop the gloves which Sutter doesn't do, he's also cheaper and has been healthy.  

None of their Fs are untouchable, other than Fiala and probably Kaprisov, but they are looking to get younger while also trying to figure out who should be part of their future. 

Under Fletcher they built the team around the wrong core of young players - they didn't perform in the post-season and the Wild got stuck in no man's land.  Guerin says he wants players who play their best when games matter.  Adding Sutter would push a young player out of the lineup and delay their evaluation.  He moved Zucker in part also to give more opportunity to their young players.  

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Well done and said. 
Not much room for me to counter. 

While I’m at it though, what would it take to get Greenway? 

Greenway can be frustrating but when he is on he is such a beast.  He is still young and they don't have a read on him in the post-season where with his size he could make quite the impact.  Until then not sure Guerin would be looking to move him just yet.   He showed patience with Fiala and it's paying off big time.  Same with ErikssonEk who has become a reliable shut down C.  Greenway also took a step forward playing under Evason - small sample but maybe worth seeing if he can be more consistent.  

Guerin insists that he won't make a trade unless it makes them better.  Their need is young C1 and C2 - they only have Khovanov projected as top-6 C in their system.  Several promising wingers though.

They don't seem to want more veterans - he traded Zucker who was one of their better players and was also trying to move Parise.  Draft picks would just have them start over with the risk of not even drafting an NHLer.  Unless they find an equally young player with more upside/consistency they are better off to just keep on developing him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

ErikssonEk takes their tough defensive matchups - his line goes up against McDavid, MacKinnon and the likes.  Their young players have to take on those key roles for the team to continue to progress.  Koivu is likely not coming back but they have Nico Sturm to step in as C4.  There doesn't seem to be a role for Sutter.

Galchenyuk is UFA and it's still unclear whether they will bring him back.  There's not necessarily room for him as lineup regular as they are expected to add Kaprisov in an offensive role.  They are expected to buy out Rask so it would open up a spot but he was F13.  On a short and cheap deal maybe.

Parise(NMC) Staal  Fiala

Kaprisov Kunin Zuccarello(NMC)

Greenway ErikssonEk Foligno

Donato Sturm Hartman

(Rask)

Doesn't feel like Parise would waive his NMC this time around.  Don't see a taker for Zuccarello who has a full NMC.  They have no one to replace Staal at C1.  They apparently had several calls for Foligno at the TDL but Guerin didn't want to move him.  

The others are still young - Hartman is the oldest at 25 and will still be a RFA once his deal is up in a year.   Don't really see them moving out a young player to get Sutter in the lineup.   Maybe Hartman but he will drop the gloves which Sutter doesn't do, he's also cheaper and has been healthy.  

None of their Fs are untouchable, other than Fiala and probably Kaprisov, but they are looking to get younger while also trying to figure out who should be part of their future. 

Under Fletcher they built the team around the wrong core of young players - they didn't perform in the post-season and the Wild got stuck in no man's land.  Guerin says he wants players who play their best when games matter.  Adding Sutter would push a young player out of the lineup and delay their evaluation.  He moved Zucker in part also to give more opportunity to their young players.  

good take as usual.  I do think Sutter would be much better in the role of 4C than Sturm, but I guess if next year for them is another development year they might want to see what they have there. If Sturm can't play that role or E-Ek goes down to injury they're left pretty exposed other than Staal. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good take as usual.  I do think Sutter would be much better in the role of 4C than Sturm, but I guess if next year for them is another development year they might want to see what they have there. If Sturm can't play that role or E-Ek goes down to injury they're left pretty exposed other than Staal. 

True.  There's a spot open if they indeed buy out Rask but see them more going for a UFA on circa league minimum as F13 or simply bringing Galchenyuk back.    

Guerin is also still looking for a C1.  I don't see Staal being extended once his deal is up next year.  They also don't have a C2 - Kunin is more there by default and is better suited at wing.  Maybe this off-season with some teams caught at the cap or with internal budget issues.  

5 minutes ago, mll said:

True.  There's a spot open if they indeed buy out Rask but see them more going for a UFA on circa league minimum as F13 or simply bringing Galchenyuk back.    

Guerin is also still looking for a C1.  I don't see Staal being extended once his deal is up next year.  They also don't have a C2 - Kunin is more there by default and is better suited at wing.  Maybe this off-season with some teams caught at the cap or with internal budget issues.  

I just looked up right handed C's hitting UFA status: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2021/caphit/all/center/ufa/desc/1/right

Its not pretty. Maybe we want to hang on to Sutter :lol:

• Cheers 1