The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #22

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #22  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #22 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Boudrias
    • E. Jovanovski
    • K. Bieksa
    • C. Ronning
    • D. Lever
    • D. Lidster
    • P. Sundstrom
    • D. Kearns
    • G. Adams
    • C. Tanev

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well now that we've gotten Mogilny / Salo / Morrison out of our system we can get down to business.

3d572680-3c1c-4d8a-9d21-3d10206da018_tex

The three combined have less playoff points than Geoff Courtnall alone.

It's looking good for my main man Boudrias and Ronning.

It's looking rough for Lidster, Sundstrom and Kearns.  They're gonna have to scratch and claw for a victory just like they did in the old days.

Speaking of Ronning, it hurt to have Bobby Lalonde (5'5") just outside the top 50.  Heck of a player and our Fleury / Ronning of the 1970s.  You can see him buzzing around in that 1975 playoff game I posted...getting knocked down and springing back up without complaint and ready for the next round, just like Cliff used to do.

The exact opposite of Kesler throwing off his gloves and helmet in all directions to make it look like a grenade went off at the site of the "infraction."

#LalondeFor51

For real though, I respect Brendan Morrison's ironman streak.  And didn't he get his teeth knocked out one time and then come back on the ice to score the game winner?

Hey!  Easy now!  

You know very well that hockey is a team game and playoff points are contingent on your team actually getting there.  B-Mo has 11 playoff points in 1 year.  Lidster had 12 in his career. (since we're comparing apples and oranges haha)  Morrisons 11 points that year are also better than the career playoff production of Connor McDavid.  

Seriously though I'm struggling with the vote this round.  Still trying to decide lol

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Hey!  Easy now!  

You know very well that hockey is a team game and playoff points are contingent on your team actually getting there.  B-Mo has 11 playoff points in 1 year.  Lidster had 12 in his career. (since we're comparing apples and oranges haha)  Morrisons 11 points that year are also better than the career playoff production of Connor McDavid.  

Seriously though I'm struggling with the vote this round.  Still trying to decide lol

I'm partly making fun.  I have those guys on my list and I have a lot of respect for them.  Morrison was a guy that had some heart for sure.

But it's still a little sad that Ivan Boldirev (11 pts) and Lars Molin (11 pts) were 3rd and 4th in playoff scoring for the team in 1982, when they went all the way to the finals, and I doubt they'll make it into the top 50.  Curt Fraser (10 pts that year) might not make it either the way things are going, nor Ivan Hlinka (namesake of the World Junior Tournament and a significant part of the 82 run), nor Jim Nill (game winning goal that put us in the final).  In fact, I'm willing to bet that only Fraser makes it from that list, and that's far from a guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm partly making fun.  I have those guys on my list and I have a lot of respect for them.  Morrison was a guy that had some heart for sure.

But it's still a little sad that Ivan Boldirev (11 pts) and Lars Molin (11 pts) were 3rd and 4th in playoff scoring for the team in 1982, when they went all the way to the finals, and I doubt they'll make it into the top 50.  Curt Fraser (10 pts that year) might not make it either the way things are going, nor Ivan Hlinka (namesake of the World Junior Tournament and a significant part of the 82 run), nor Jim Nill (game winning goal that put us in the final).  In fact, I'm willing to bet that only Fraser makes it from that list, and that's far from a guarantee.

We'll have to see!

I think as the more obvious names are out of the way then people won't be so set on who they're voting for.  You might have an easier time convincing people as the list goes on.

Okay I think I'm ready to vote!

13 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

We'll have to see!

I think as the more obvious names are out of the way then people won't be so set on who they're voting for.  You might have an easier time convincing people as the list goes on.

Okay I think I'm ready to vote!

Maybe.  I have a suspicion that's where Sopel, Cooke, Vrbata, Auld, Jarko Ruutu, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Malhotra etc. are going to start picking up steam.  But we'll see...

The guys I named there were actually more like top 60 or 70 for me.  I'm more worried about guys that are definitely in my top 50 that might get ignored...Courtnall, Babych, Lanz, Reinhart, Ververgaert, Rota, Fraser, etc.

I could do a top 100...not just because the Canucks have 100 players that deserve recognition but because I feel like a jerk for some of the guys that didn't make it.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Maybe.  I have a suspicion that's where Sopel, Cooke, Vrbata, Auld, Jarko Ruutu, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Malhotra etc. are going to start picking up steam.  But we'll see...

The guys I named there were actually more like top 60 or 70 for me.  I'm more worried about guys that are definitely in my top 50 that might get ignored...Courtnall, Babych, Lanz, Reinhart, Ververgaert, Rota, Fraser, etc.

I could do a top 100...not just because the Canucks have 100 players that deserve recognition but because I feel like a jerk for some of the guys that didn't make it.

If Jarko Ruutu gets in then I'm becoming a Bruins fan...

Outrageous!! Don't do that to me haha

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Vote Lidster, nominate Tiger Williams, though I fear I do both in vain.

Some good names popping up in the nominations this round though.

I will probably join you in the Lidster voting sooner than most, I suspect.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

How the hell can you have Derek Roy above Marco Sturm?

Yeah - at least go Slegr or something...or if you want to go really abstract then Harold Druken or Bill Muckalt or that Carbonaeau guy that was captain of a roller blade team (remember him anyone?).

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

or Eric Weinrich?

Man that was a brutal final stretch.  Traded future stuff for Eric Weinrich and more future stuff for Keith Carney to make the playoffs and go somewhere, then missed the playoffs altogether.  2005-06 was awful.  And the last straw for Cloutier and Auld if I remember right.

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yeah - at least go Slegr or something...or if you want to go really abstract then Harold Druken or Bill Muckalt or that Carbonaeau guy that was captain of a roller blade team (remember him anyone?).

Tiger Williams' time with the Voodoo should get him even more nominations.  Old grey haired dude still kicking ass on roller skates.

From now on, I'm going off book with my all time greatest Canuck Jason Herter.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

29 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Man that was a brutal final stretch.  Traded future stuff for Eric Weinrich and more future stuff for Keith Carney to make the playoffs and go somewhere, then missed the playoffs altogether.  2005-06 was awful.  And the last straw for Cloutier and Auld if I remember right.

And Crow as well I believe. Cloutier was injured for most of the year, and though Auld tried, he certainly wasn't a starter-calibre goaltender.

No disrespect to Mr Andre Boudrias... but Kevin spent over a decade with our franchise and without counting I assume he played way more games, took us farther, is a die hard Canuck at heart and was a jewel on the back end during our power house years...

Kevin Bieksa spent 3 years in Manitoba with AV , Kes, Burr, ... so much perseverance.  

Kevin was the epitome of what it means to be Canuck. Lets get KB3 in!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

No disrespect to Mr Andre Boudrias... but Kevin spent over a decade with our franchise and without counting I assume he played way more games, took us farther, is a die hard Canuck at heart and was a jewel on the back end during our power house years...

Kevin Bieksa spent 3 years in Manitoba with AV , Kes, Burr, ... so much perseverance.  

Kevin was the epitome of what it means to be Canuck. Lets get KB3 in!

Andre Boudrias was a captain of the Canucks, and he was a member of the original 1970-71 team.  He had five straight 61-78 point seasons for the Canucks and his assists record for one year in the 70s stood until Henrik Sedin hit his prime.  Boudrias played all of the Canucks' first six seasons, and was part of the 1974-75 division title (in fact the team scoring leader).

No doubt Bieksa's goal put us in the final and his body of work covers a lot of years and a lot of games, and he was a loyal soldier.  That's why I have him comfortably in my top 50.  But I think the case for Boudrias is pretty strong.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1