The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

Shame Leipsic’s career is now in limbo because of a private leaked conversation. I don’t condone or agree with his choice of words, but do have some level of sympathy of him. Media and online crusaders will now to try to ostracize him when he’s obviously not a unique circumstance or character. Shows more about their character than his imo. 

• Like 3

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Players are scared to act themselves, to say what they want.  There is hardly any emotion in the game anymore, no hate, no rivalries.  Everybody has to watch what they say 24/7 cause the mob/outrage culture.  Media and fans just waiting to shred anybody for anything.  It's all about clicks and views for the media.

The same people will complain about the first issue I addressed about players being scared to express themselves.

I am not sure how much the state of the game is affected by PC culture. All sports have become fairly soft as safety has become a prominent issue. I see little wrong with that at least in the sense that there will less brain damaged athletes. The issue of lack of emotion is just that players are afraid of ending up frequently in front of the DOPS ala Tom Wilson. Wilson once famously said that he would never change his game regardless of suspensions but that is clearly not true anymore. Losing money and hurting your team is not worth it in the long run. The game is just different and we just have to make a choice to accept it or let it go. I don't watch nearly as much basketball as I did a decade ago or two decades ago. Its just not the same. That's fine I will just find other sources of entertainment if the current standard falls even more.

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

My wife just read Leipsic's stuff, as she just heard about it and the likely fallout (already with his younger brother). She scrunched her face and said, "It's a private conversation. Why is this a thing?"

He's a douchbag, sure. But private conversation is a private conversation.

Again for the people in the back, because people still need to be reminded of this in 2020, if you want to ensure a private conversation remains private, don't A ) have it with a group of 10 people and B ) don't do it via a medium that can easily be screenshotted and disseminated by anyone who has access to the conversation. 

Those two rules are doubly important to remember when you're something of a public figure and the topics of conversation include drug use and calling women fat c****.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Again for the people in the back, because people still need to be reminded of this in 2020, if you want to ensure a private conversation remains private, don't A ) have it with a group of 10 people and B ) don't do it via a medium that can easily be screenshotted and disseminated by anyone who has access to the conversation. 

Those two rules are doubly important to remember when you're something of a public figure and the topics of conversation include drug use and calling women fat c****.

Again for people in the back. 

Wtf lol...

Leipsic is not a victim or being unfairly targeted.

How hard is it not to be smarter with how and where you decide to share your thoughts and opinions?  Yeah, he's not the only human being to have these heinous thoughts, let alone the only NHLer, but he got caught.  He got caught while holding a position of power, being part of union, being an employee of an organization that competes in a league that operates with billions of dollars and millions of stakeholders.

This $&!# has consequences.  Maybe, Brendan should have been smart enough to create a burner if he wanted to crack jokes with the Angels Zeeeeeee.

People going out of their way to doxx him and send abuse are just as bad but let's not pretend Leipsic is another poor victim of 'cancel culture'.

Unfortunately for Leipsic, the conversation is no longer private now that the public is aware of it.

Yes, he has the freedom to say these things, but we are just as free to ridicule him, and the league is free to bring down justice as it sees fit. 

• Cheers 3

23 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Or does it mean he had a really pathetic password?

23 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm not excusing what he did, he's a POS that doesn't deserve to be in the league. He's a tweener anyways so he was as good as gone regardless imo. But the goal of private information is to remain private. If he got hacked, that means the social media platform servers have some security concerns that need to be addressed. And if he wants to present the case that he could've made millions and this invasion of privacy cost him that money then he'll be able to find lawyers to represent him. Again, I don't agree with it because I believe he was on his way out of the league regardless. BUT companies are liable for their cybersecurity measures. I'm sure they're up to industry/regulation standards but you wonder with 100s of millions if not billions using Twitter/IG, perhaps they're responsible for going the extra mile in terms of cybersecurity.

I'm just playing devil's advocate :P But I am curious... Perhaps any lawyers/legal assistants can weigh in on this?

Someone just took his phone or knew his password.

If men fat shaming women is misogyny, are women who fat shame men exhibiting misandry? Seems like a stretch to me. The current fat &^@#up of a President gets enough such jokes made about him and he deserves every bit of it because he has made derogatory remarks about women in the past "fat", "pigs" etc. But it does bring up the issue of 'fat shaming' and whether we should consider it a more flagrant abuse than it currently is. I say no, people really don't have to take every insult to heart, be comfortable in your own skin. Someone calling you 'fat' doesn't make you so and if you see some truth in that statement then you need to make healthier choices. Diet and exercise are habits that will make you look your best as well extend your lifespan.

Equality is an admirable goal to aspire to but often when people say they want equality, they don't want to take the bad with the good.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Is that a fact? Has that been reported?

No, but actual instances of hacking, as most people think of them when it comes to social media, are much rarer than someone just guessing a password or peaking on someone’s unlocked phone. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It obviously isn't a private conversation because we all know about it.  Private...in your living room, sure.

Typing on an online social platform in a group...not so much.  

Anyhow, good thing she's not making the decisions because it really undermines the severity of this kind of degradation of women/others. 

yikes

• Cheers 1