The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Games In Empty Arena's, Would You Buy Pay per View?

Rate this topic

Lazurus

On 5/9/2020 at 4:50 AM, The Colt 45s said:

Down south, really?  How far south?  The issue here is that you cut your grass early in the morning or in the evening because it is 90-degrees outside and 90% humidity.  As for ice quality, having skated here a couple of times in September, when it is still hot and humid, the ice quality was not very good.  What I am trying to say is that a lot of people down this far south like being in their air conditioned homes, drinking some sweet tea, and watching hockey (I really mean football).

As far south as the greater Vancouver area is what I was talking. 

16 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

As far south as the greater Vancouver area is what I was talking. 

I came home one summer to visit family.  Temps were around 20C.  Wore jeans and a long-sleeved shirt to the beach because it felt cool to me. 

6 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I came home one summer to visit family.  Temps were around 20C.  Wore jeans and a long-sleeved shirt to the beach because it felt cool to me. 

Lol 10°C is T-shirt weather. But then again 2°C can be after a -20 snap in March/April.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

I already pay $120 a year for the NHL app. If they asked me to pay for additional games, after not being able to deliver the full season, I would cancel my subscription.

Agree... I'd do the same.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, IBatch said:

I’d watch games all summer if I could - can still do those others things too - even at the same time ha ha.  Really if it came down to it I’d support hockey with some pay per view games if things get bad and that’s what they need to do to keep things going.  Sure these guys get paid which a lot of people don’t make in a lifetime in one year - that said owners can’t soak it up forever - and the players would be willing to work for peanuts compared to their normal salaries too I’d bet - better for them then trying to find a job in the markets to come...don’t see it that much different then supporting local business - the exchange is well worth the entertainment value right now. 

Me too...

However, already paid for a season of NHL TV, so don't think it's right, if we were having to fork out again to watch the games.

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:03 AM, nucklehead said:

so is there any serious talk about resuming the season yet? asking for a friend, he's dumb. 

The NHLPA and NHL have agreed on the 24 team playoff format (not every detail but it’s basically a done deal) - next step get government/medical approval....

The biggest possible hurdle is countries around the world agreeing to allowing their athletes to cross the border to participate in these games.  Personally given that most have access to their own planes and flight crews - and that existing isolation protocols - don’t really see this as a major issue.  Athletes and crews could be tested prior to take off - and when they are done and going home could agree to 14 days of isolation no problem.  The athletes themselves have already been asked to keep safe in anticipation of finishing the season ... that said each country is different ... read an article about Laine and in Finland he’s been keeping himself busy with golf etc.   

Really believe that the entertainment value for everyone would be a great distraction.  Personally I’d have no problem with spending a few hundred dollars if pay per view (different thread)  was added ... yes times  are hard but that’s not much different then a good night out or taking extended family for a nice dinner...which I’d not be doing even if restaurants opened up here. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Me too...

However, already paid for a season of NHL TV, so don't think it's right, if we were having to fork out again to watch the games.

Yeah I see your point.  Folks that have already spent money for 1/5 of no service should get a bye and be allowed to watch a certain number of games until that money’s spent.   I’m pretty sure they won’t ask people to pay anyways as with zero other sports available think a lot of people will watch games and PVR ones for later (I know I’d be doing that anyways).  Given the looming TV deal viewership matters a lot of the NHL and I can’t see them risking a massive deal getting smaller by instilling pay per view measures - hard to be absolutely sure but personally think that bad for business.  A lot of hockey fans could be unemployed right now and not participate in a pay per view format...also given a lot of folks are unemployed and have zero to do as all the housework has been done a month or so ago (ha ha) watching 2-4 games a day might seem mighty fine at this point.  These are smart people..at least I think they should be smart people...still like I said earlier id pay a bit more if I had too (maybe up to or around 200$)... 

Have to wonder though if they asked viewers to pay 20$ a game for the cup final how many would do it?  Depends on who’s playing for sure ... but even one million viewers is 20 million per game ... easy 80 million for the league and the players don’t get much of a cut no matter how much revenue is made aside from less escrow payments right?

edit:  and the above is very conservative... if the Canucks for example made the final how many folks would buck up to watch those games?  Of course it’s based on households.   But given we can’t gather they’ve got us by the short and curlies  - it’s not like ten buddies can each chip in two bucks and watch it whomevers got the best man cave right?  I’d think at least 2 million just from the Canucks side given how many fans are displaced and no longer live in BC.    If TB makes it too?  Not probably ideal although realisic. A lot of folks I’m sure.  Could easily be 5 million on average per day a six game series ... that’s 600 million which go a long way in covering lost gate revenue for sure.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah I see your point.  Folks that have already spent money for 1/5 of no service should get a bye and be allowed to watch a certain number of games until that money’s spent.   I’m pretty sure they won’t ask people to pay anyways as with zero other sports available think a lot of people will watch games and PVR ones for later (I know I’d be doing that anyways).  Given the looming TV deal viewership matters a lot of the NHL and I can’t see them risking a massive deal getting smaller by instilling pay per view measures - hard to be absolutely sure but personally think that bad for business.  A lot of hockey fans could be unemployed right now and not participate in a pay per view format...also given a lot of folks are unemployed and have zero to do as all the housework has been done a month or so ago (ha ha) watching 2-4 games a day might seem mighty fine at this point.  These are smart people..at least I think they should be smart people...still like I said earlier id pay a bit more if I had too (maybe up to or around 200$)... 

Have to wonder though if they asked viewers to pay 20$ a game for the cup final how many would do it?  Depends on who’s playing for sure ... but even one million viewers is 20 million per game ... easy 80 million for the league and the players don’t get much of a cut no matter how much revenue is made aside from less escrow payments right?

edit:  and the above is very conservative... if the Canucks for example made the final how many folks would buck up to watch those games?  Of course it’s based on households.   But given we can’t gather they’ve got us by the short and curlies  - it’s not like ten buddies can each chip in two bucks and watch it whomevers got the best man cave right?  I’d think at least 2 million just from the Canucks side given how many fans are displaced and no longer live in BC.    If TB makes it too?  Not probably ideal although realisic. A lot of folks I’m sure.  Could easily be 5 million on average per day a six game series ... that’s 600 million which go a long way in covering lost gate revenue for sure.  

Cheers Ibatch. Absolutely right. 
i know its business and as in love and war you take no prisoners...

Question is probably, if its would be worth alianating their subscribers by charging them again. 
Many people are struggling just now, and fleecing them may come back to bite them, although sports fans have veru short memories....(and knowing the passion amongst Canadian hockey fans, they’d probably still sign in despite having to pay).

Maybe this would be a time to get 2 Canadian franchises into the finals to ensure folks would still pay. Could see it being more of a damp squid south if the border. 

I would probably be stupid enough to tune in, despite how I feel, as I’m desperate for competetive sports to start again. :rolleyes:

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Ibatch. Absolutely right. 
i know its business and as in love and war you take no prisoners...

Question is probably, if its would be worth alianating their subscribers by charging them again. 
Many people are struggling just now, and fleecing them may come back to bite them, although sports fans have veru short memories....(and knowing the passion amongst Canadian hockey fans, they’d probably still sign in despite having to pay).

Maybe this would be a time to get 2 Canadian franchises into the finals to ensure folks would still pay. Could see it being more of a damp squid south if the border. 

I would probably be stupid enough to tune in, despite how I feel, as I’m desperate for competetive sports to start again. :rolleyes:

I know one former junior hockey player who loves hockey who was so disgusted with the lock out that he stuck to his guns and hasn’t watched NHL hockey since ... (goes to junior games and participates in that but that’s about it).  Maybe it will change if his son/nephew makes the show buts that’s probably what it would take (or the Habs making the final - one of the two).   So absolutely I get where your coming from - milking fans at this point I’m with you and think it’s bad business.   It’s possible their math guys will convince them otherwise...but I for one sure hope they don’t. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm right with you there...  my watching season is done.  I already disliked the fact that the playoff games were running into the summer.  No way I'm tuning in for August and September games. 

I might if I happen to be sitting at home but even if the Canucks were making a legit run to the cup, theres so much to do in the summer and warm weather that my motivation to really sit down and watch would be hella less than the rest of the year.

Well I had purchased the NHL network and it just quit working. I would have had it for the entire playoffs.

Since I already had it, if they decided to charge an small fee like $30 for the play in round and the playoffs I would hope they will credit me some of the loss back

$30 bucks for all the games I don't think is a huge cost.