The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Games In Empty Arena's, Would You Buy Pay per View?

Rate this topic

Lazurus

It is a good chance that games will include as many Canadian teams and cities as possible, the NHL still knows where the "cash cows" are.

These games will be competing with the NFL, MLB and Basket ball, so the Great White North is the hockey hot bed to sell.

With some of the proposed playoff proposals the Canucks would get into the playoffs so interest would be fairly high here.

I could imagine the NHL could set up a per game or playoff packages.

What would be the most you would be willing to dole out?

Would you pay at all?

Myself, I hope they would do the "McDonalds" method, sell billions of burgers at low profit but a lot more of them.

They are not going to get the same gate money but they could get 1+ mil a game if they sell 2 or 3 hundred thousand packages. Cheaper in the States of course.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Thanks 1

Hell effing no.  So you want us to subsidize a billion dollar industry on top of the increase taxes we'll have to endure?  Eff that nonsense.  

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

who is in a position to charge for pay per view?

most pro leagues have sold their broadcast rights already

teams/leagues cannot now compete against broadcasters who own those rights with pay per view

pay per view assumes a different model of earning from broadcasting games

that model is not available now

How the heck would this work?  Players would get paid *the same* as if nothing had changed but revenues would be severely impacted (PPV money would be a fraction of the gate revenues [which include the WAY overpriced booze, food, merchandise, etc., revenue at the games]).

No.

I am a hardcore NHL fan. I can even watch Detroit vs Ottawa.

There's zero chance I am watching hockey after June 15th regardless of who is playing so heck no I ain't paying.

Summer is dedicated to the lake, setting suns, bbqs etc. My tv doesn't even turn on until Oct.1.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No.

I am a hardcore NHL fan. I can even watch Detroit vs Ottawa.

There's zero chance I am watching hockey after June 15th regardless of who is playing so heck no I ain't paying.

Summer is dedicated to the lake, setting suns, bbqs etc. My tv doesn't even turn on until Oct.1.

I’d watch games all summer if I could - can still do those others things too - even at the same time ha ha.  Really if it came down to it I’d support hockey with some pay per view games if things get bad and that’s what they need to do to keep things going.  Sure these guys get paid which a lot of people don’t make in a lifetime in one year - that said owners can’t soak it up forever - and the players would be willing to work for peanuts compared to their normal salaries too I’d bet - better for them then trying to find a job in the markets to come...don’t see it that much different then supporting local business - the exchange is well worth the entertainment value right now. 

Paying for each game will not work.  I could be wrong but didn't the canucks try this years ago back when not all the games were televised?  They offered a few select games on PPV.  I can see them creating some sort of all inclusive package at a small price say 10 or 20 bucks but there needs to be some value added, i.e. no commercials, 4k broadcasts etc..

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Zero chance of that.   I already feel like a chump paying for sportsnet.  

The problem is that everyone is so used to getting games for free (or somewhat free with the sports package)