The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks lined up for 5 games in 7 nights - what’s the goalie scenario?

Rate this topic

EP40.

What to do with goalies...  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

You can thank these liberal marxist leftist losers.

Clowns who aren't even in the playoffs like kane and Dumba trying to make their careers relevant.

If marky gets injured or we lose games over this crap schedule I'm going to be pissed

What a joke.

All this just because it's an election year in the states. Change my mind

so, that's a yes for Demko? lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Either way, we have 2 pretty f'n good goalies ourselves and Demko is on the rise, as our goalie of the future, feel pretty good about him. He just needs to get his feet wet but it's hard when your a back up to Markstrom... However Demko will have his day, can hardly wait to hear with regularity, "Great save Demkooooo!'

Can hardly wait for our D upgrade because we shouldn't have to rely on a hot goalie to get us through. 

Edited by iceman64

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Fuhr played 75 games in Edmonton too.  Guy was a machine, and surely would have played a ton more games if he didn't have possibly the best backup/1B in NHL history.

I am pretty sure that Markstrom is prevented from doing this, due to the leagues substance abuse policy.
Not saying Fuhr did coke, he said it.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, EP40. said:

**if the series goes all the way to a game 7**

Saturday-Sunday,

Tuesday,

Thursday-Friday.

That’s what the schedule looks like. Two b2b’s at the front & back end of this now best of 5 series.

...Vegas has the least amount of worries of any team remaining these playoffs having 2 starting caliber goalies. But how do the Canucks play this out? 

The Knights already have been forking up a ridiculous amount of shot attempts on Marky so it’ll slowly begin draining him. Do the Canucks grind Marky to the bones or do they give Demko his first ever playoff action against arguably the highest tempo team out there? There’s risks both ways. Obvious one being if Marky plays all the games he’ll surely be worn down. And if Demko gets a game in knowing how many shots the Canucks surrender, will he even be able to handle it as it would be the furthest thing from an ideal matchup for his first career playoff start ...OR... do the Canucks do something unorthodox such as play Marky but look for a certain number of goals lead/deficit at which point they’ll change swap goalies to give him a rest? Example: if the Canucks ever have a 3 or 4 goal lead or are chasing by those same amount of goals, they just rotate Demko in and let Markstrom “rest”. 

Quite the conundrum as Markstrom’s been the backbone holding the team in it most nights. Idk if they can afford to put the same pressure on Thatcher and expect him to hold up but then is it even feasible for Marky to play those many games which such few rest days? Or do they pull some sort of audible as mentioned and look to rest Marky in game depending on the score?

Roll with Marky each and every game + put in Demko if the Canucks are getting blown out (as is what happened in game 1).

I usually don't go after Green. Think he's a pretty good coach for this young cast. But these past two tilts, were(in Latin) week-endus, holyfrackus-horribill-us!

I'm afraid He fr*cked this up badly.

He wasn't coaching with youngins' all excited to win. No. He was coaching afraid to LOSE! We were the underdogs. Why NOT roll with depth?..GoodGawd, what's there to lose with such a cool-headed approach? It shows confidence!

Didn't trust his depth

Didn't make adjustments

Didn't use his fine backup

Don't tell me the last time TD played. All these guys have had a freek'n month to get up to speed.

Green kept going to the same well 'til it was bone-fr*ckin-dry!

Said it two days back. USE. YOUR. DEPTH(ferGawdsakes!) You're not beating the Lost Vegan Rights with 19 exhausted pack mules.

Just stupid really.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

But you can't really(visually) see fatigue..just it's ugly result, when it's too late to rewind.

It shows confidence to roll with our young depth. Truly believe we have a group of guys that could integrate a coupla' young faces & not miss a beat.

Should the series go deep, would provide a psychological advantage, to have used all hands on deck.

This is what they needed!

It really burns my bacon. Puck heads are so GawdD*mned conservative! "Ohhhh no..can't change a winnin lineup..No no no go with what gut us here blah x3!"

10 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Here’s a thought.  Maybe Green doesn’t actually trust Demko to win a big game after seeing him fold when he was handed the starting duties while Markstrom was hurt.  

It's possible & fair to state. But 5 in 7 left no choice. This was a 'rally the troops', we're-all-in-this-together moment. They're all stuck on a desert-freeken-isle. This was the opportunity to play that card, in my horriblyhumble opinion.

This might have been the most important thread in the past coupla' wks.

It's possible this amounted to the difference. We simply didn't trust our depth enough, in a situation where it was absolutely mandatory to do so(5-in-7, of PO-intensity puck).

Look at Dallas today, with that Kirivanti kid playing hero

Should try to learn lessons from this. Give the farm kids more of a chance(eg: mid-season call-ups usually get a few shifts if lucky). Seems we never give 5th liners a chance, to discover what we have in our young depth. Too conservative & stuck in old routines.

• 2 weeks later...

This important thread is a reminder that deserves multiple bumps.

We very well could have been in the final-4 with bolder decisions. Team would've been tired then..don't know if we'd have advanced further? But what a great thrill THAT would've been!

But let's NEVER forget this very important, hard lesson. Depth is so important. When it's 5-in-7, trust your whole crew.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This important thread is a reminder that deserves multiple bumps.

We very well could have been in the final-4 with bolder decisions. Team would've been tired then..don't know if we'd have advanced further? But what a great thrill THAT would've been!

But let's NEVER forget this very important, hard lesson. Depth is so important. When it's 5-in-7, trust your whole crew.

Hiring] Flyers hire Alain Vigneault as Head Coach - Page 2 - Around the NHL  - Canucks Community

You don't appear to have read the OP.

The OP asks some good questions - for which they don't pretend to have an easy answer / easy answers.

You on the other hand, do - pretend to - have answered it simply - and that's where the quality of the OP's question - and honesty - greatly outweighs your own.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Hiring] Flyers hire Alain Vigneault as Head Coach - Page 2 - Around the NHL  - Canucks Community

You don't appear to have read the OP.

The OP asks some good questions - for which they don't pretend to have an easy answer / easy answers.

You on the other hand, do - pretend to - have answered it simply - and that's where the quality of the OP's question - and honesty - greatly outweighs your own.

Seem like red herrings & diversions..but hey, maybe I'm wrong?

At any rate, have a nice day. That'll be all on this topic for me.

Long as the coaching staff use their depth better, it'll be a val lesson! :^)

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

image.jpeg.1b82fc0425d14b0884afd3ea76deb90c.jpeg

& lastly Oldnews, it's a shame you didn't reply to my original post on this thread(some folks supported the opinion, at the time). We might've had an interesting differing insight, before the last 5 games actually occurred.

Cos' it's proactive to discuss lineups beforehand right? Discussion boards are best for discussing ideas(status quo, or diff tack), are they not?

So yeah, have a fine day.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:09 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I usually don't go after Green. Think he's a pretty good coach for this young cast. But these past two tilts, were(in Latin) week-endus, holyfrackus-horribill-us!

I'm afraid He fr*cked this up badly.

He wasn't coaching with youngins' all excited to win. No. He was coaching afraid to LOSE! We were the underdogs. Why NOT roll with depth?..GoodGawd, what's there to lose with such a cool-headed approach? It shows confidence!

Didn't trust his depth

Didn't make adjustments

Didn't use his fine backup

Don't tell me the last time TD played. All these guys have had a freek'n month to get up to speed.

Green kept going to the same well 'til it was bone-fr*ckin-dry!

Said it two days back. USE. YOUR. DEPTH(ferGawdsakes!) You're not beating the Lost Vegan Rights with 19 exhausted pack mules.

Just stupid really.

laughable.  entirely.

I would take the time to engage this, but it'd be a waste.

My favorite part is the "didn't make adjustments"

I'd love to hear you vet that theory with the people in the room - or those of us that watched the adjustments play out - exceedingly clearly - in games 5 to 7?  Willful, or perhaps, ignorant, blindness.

Delusional.

Triggered.

Arrogant.

Uninformed.

And believes that should result in a 'discussion' that Emily Post would approve.  Carry on - I can't be bothered.