The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Using MMA moves is way worse than what Marchand has done. Should have closed this thread before he ruined his rep.

To be honest, I'd probably rather take a knee to the head from Burrows in side mount than Marchand's recent Bure-on-Churla elbow in the crease, if I were to make a guess at the damage likely to be incurred.  The kneeing stuff is just brutal optics, plus flailing his legs around like that creates a cutting risk for everyone around, especially refs trying to separate them.  So anyway, I agree it needs to be punished somewhat heavily to create a disincentive for anyone repeating it.  You have to give it to Burrows, he gets creative with his screwups.  It's not flying elbows or knee-on-knee like everyone else.  It's biting or ground and pound.  I imagine next up will be the flying scissor heel hook.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

To be honest, I'd probably rather take a knee to the head from Burrows in side mount than Marchand's recent Bure-on-Churla elbow in the crease, if I were to make a guess at the damage likely to be incurred.  The kneeing stuff is just brutal optics, plus flailing his legs around like that creates a cutting risk for everyone around, especially refs trying to separate them.  So anyway, I agree it needs to be punished somewhat heavily to create a disincentive for anyone repeating it.  You have to give it to Burrows, he gets creative with his screwups.  It's not flying elbows or knee-on-knee like everyone else.  It's biting or ground and pound.  I imagine next up will be the flying scissor heel hook.

Haha! Agreed.

10 games was way too much.  He was flailing because his arm was pinned in a pile and it was in danger of serious injury.  His head, also buried in that same pile, could not have possibly seen where Hall was located in the whole mess.  This was crazy over reaction to a crafted pariah.

• Upvote 4

Should he have gotten suspended? Of course. But its like the disciplinary board was just waiting for an excuse to throw the book at Burrows if he dared do anything.  He has only a couple of suspensions. Never even had any until Auger made him a target. He was also past the time to be considered a 'repeat offender'.  He definitely kneed Hall, but I'm not sure he even knew where he was hitting. Still no excuse, but it was a heat of the moment thing and not premeditated like other multiple game suspensions. coughMarchandcough. 

Ridiculous amount of games considering others punishments.  Now lets all see, if something like this ever happens again with another player, who is not a repeat offender, and see just how many games they get. I'd bet you that there will never again be a suspension like there was on Rome, 4 SCF games, conveniently just enough to keep him out of all final games if they went to 7, which they did. All for what they said was a technically legal hit, but .5 seconds late. They sure never give the Canucks any quarter when it comes to these rulings. But the infuriating part is that they do not ever seem to stick to that new level of punishment and treat the same or similar offense by another team's player after that.  I guarantee you won't see 10 games if this similar thing happens with another team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Should he have gotten suspended? Of course. But its like the disciplinary board was just waiting for an excuse to throw the book at Burrows if he dared do anything.  He has only a couple of suspensions. Never even had any until Auger made him a target. He was also past the time to be considered a 'repeat offender'.  He definitely kneed Hall, but I'm not sure he even knew where he was hitting. Still no excuse, but it was a heat of the moment thing and not premeditated like other multiple game suspensions. coughMarchandcough. 

Ridiculous amount of games considering others punishments.  Now lets all see, if something like this ever happens again with another player, who is not a repeat offender, and see just how many games they get. I'd bet you that there will never again be a suspension like there was on Rome, 4 SCF games, conveniently just enough to keep him out of all final games if they went to 7, which they did. All for what they said was a technically legal hit, but .5 seconds late. They sure never give the Canucks any quarter when it comes to these rulings. But the infuriating part is that they do not ever seem to stick to that new level of punishment and treat the same or similar offense by another team's player after that.  I guarantee you won't see 10 games if this similar thing happens with another team.

Rome should have had zero games, and that is hands down the worst call I've ever seen from the league disciplinary office.  But what Burrows did here was pretty bad.  The thing about waiting until someone else does it to see how many games they get is...nobody else really does the stuff Burrows does.  I can't recall any other biting or hair pulling in the last ten years or so, and it will probably be at least a decade before anyone else delivers a mounted knee to the head in an NHL game.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Rome should have had zero games, and that is hands down the worst call I've ever seen from the league disciplinary office.  But what Burrows did here was pretty bad.  The thing about waiting until someone else does it to see how many games they get is...nobody else really does the stuff Burrows does.  I can't recall any other biting or hair pulling in the last ten years or so, and it will probably be at least a decade before anyone else delivers a mounted knee to the head in an NHL game.

ha, that's true. Burrows always seems to find new ways to #*#% off the officials. But I think that only gives them the cover they need to mess with him. Too bad his rep follows him even years after. I also stand corrected. I said Burrows had been suspended a couple of times. I thought that was the case, but I checked and its only once. I remember now, his only other suspension, he went to do an open ice check and his mostly shoulder check rode up and barely glanced off the side of the head and the player dropped like a puck. As soon as the play was called, the player jumped right up and finished the game. Burrows got 3 games for that, which I thought was excessive for his first suspension.

Ten games still seems to me quite a lot for a heat-in-the-moment type play, where there was no injury.

Almost at 500 pages

I thought the penalty was too much, especially considering what other rulings have, or never even been made (there should be a infraction posting, where we can post to see every non call or calls and rulings on calls as a library to see how absurd things can be)

It would be interesting if they made all these hearings heard 

It is like they spin a wheel,or who is involved, or what team, till a Canuck comes up, then they say we need to set a precedent for this in a heavy ruling (and never hold to it against others)

I am now getting dismayed by inconsistent rulings, and the way games can be called, they seem as contrived as wrestling, and i have no interest in that sport either

Kicking your skates up towards the refs is not allowed. 

Kicking in Hockey was never allowed. It’s dangerous.

Burrows was endangering more than just Hall there. Wideman got more games for messing with the refs, as they should. 

BFDC84AF-D418-4A18-B874-B9C88896561C.gif.fa80ab4617d88bb55326bdb3a5403b15.gif

Get the idea?

In hockey we don’t kick, or knee, but we don’t kick our feet out at anyone else, ever. The kicking motion upwards near the other people/refs was a consequence of Burr’s repetitive kneeing action, which is far more dangerous than a few soft knees into the helmet of Hall. Shameful apologists. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-02-09 at 8:42 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Kicking your skates up towards the refs is not allowed. 

Kicking in Hockey was never allowed. It’s dangerous.

Burrows was endangering more than just Hall there. Wideman got more games for messing with the refs, as they should. 

Get the idea?

In hockey we don’t kick, or knee, but we don’t kick our feet out at anyone else, ever. The kicking motion upwards near the other people/refs was a consequence of Burr’s repetitive kneeing action, which is far more dangerous than a few soft knees into the helmet of Hall. Shameful apologists. 

So you're saying that the kneeing to the head was only a minor factor to the suspension?  And that the real crime was that Burrows was purposely kicking his blades up towards the refs?  (Even though they were standing and could presumably skate back out of range). It was some kind deliberate action?  He kicked his skates "at" them? Wow, that's tough to do. Here I thought Alex had lost it and was only thinking of hurting Hall, but he was able to try and also, at the same time, try and slash one those #*@#$*@ refs faces to get back for all those bad calls against him through the years I suppose? And that Burrows skate movements upwards were taken as a direct threat by the refs towards their physical well-being?  And THAT'S why they threw the book at him?

lol. I mean I guess that would explain the length, if that were the secret reason (because that wasn't mentioned in the actual ruling).... but that's a stretch.

Edited by kilgore
BRING BACK THE PREVIEW OPTION!
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlen and Goldobin make the team next year. Would be nice if we got a couple more high end D prospects

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Gaudette Goldobin

Granlund Sutter Gagner 

Gaunce Dowd Virtanen

Archibald 

Edler Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev

Hutton Pouliot

Juolevi Biega 

Edited by kenhodgejr

56 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlen and Goldobin make the team next year. Would be nice if we got a couple more high end D prospects

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Gaudette Goldobin

Granlund Sutter Gagner 

Gaunce Dowd Virtanen

Archibald 

Edler Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev

Hutton Pouliot

Juolevi Biega 

How did you manage to unload Eriksson?

• Like 1