The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

hi friends

i sort of believe that GoT is beyond criticism. it's just like a show that exists OUTSIDE of normal TV, because of its insane hype

and sometimes i wonder if people praise GoT so much because that internet Hype Machine sort of requires it. and lets be honest, it sort of feels good to buy into hype, because it makes you feel like you're part of the crowd who 'gets' something. and if everyone is witnessing something that everyone says is amazing, then it feels nice to be a part of that. i am convinced this is the case with Breaking Bad.

if you don't agree with the hype, then you are totally a smug nerd who is trying to be a contrarian on the internet, or something

GoT, however great it is or can be, is just oozing with tacky stuff. but who cares? you have to ignore it, and just keep on watching, or else you'll look like a cultural leper. that is probably why i love this gif, which is like an unintentional meta commentary on the GoT culture: it is internet culture, it is totally tacky (the scene was spectacularly cheesy and awful), but you just have to do what the text says, otherwise you will look like you're missing out

post-19410-Danaerys-Targaryen-deal-with-i-aT79.gif

• 4 weeks later...

hi friends

i sort of believe that GoT is beyond criticism. it's just like a show that exists OUTSIDE of normal TV, because of its insane hype

and sometimes i wonder if people praise GoT so much because that internet Hype Machine sort of requires it. and lets be honest, it sort of feels good to buy into hype, because it makes you feel like you're part of the crowd who 'gets' something. and if everyone is witnessing something that everyone says is amazing, then it feels nice to be a part of that. i am convinced this is the case with Breaking Bad.

if you don't agree with the hype, then you are totally a smug nerd who is trying to be a contrarian on the internet, or something

GoT, however great it is or can be, is just oozing with tacky stuff. but who cares? you have to ignore it, and just keep on watching, or else you'll look like a cultural leper. that is probably why i love this gif, which is like an unintentional meta commentary on the GoT culture: it is internet culture, it is totally tacky (the scene was spectacularly cheesy and awful), but you just have to do what the text says, otherwise you will look like you're missing out

post-19410-Danaerys-Targaryen-deal-with-i-aT79.gif

Ha. There are a few cheesy tacky scenes here and there. That is one cheesy shot. The last scene in S3 (Mysa) is pretty cheesy. The last scene in S2 was pretty cheesy too, and so was the scene where Sam kills the white walker. Gilly was so bad in that scene (Pleeese! Don't hurt him!) it's like it was directed by the 2nd unit. And HBO sometimes tries too hard to be 'brutal', like how many times did that Frey have to stab Talisa in the stomach? But which TV show or movie doesn't have flaws? I criticize Breaking Bad to no end with a group of unrealistically annoying supporting cast that seems to have no other functions but to drive Walt crazy.

But overall, it is still the best TV show out there.

Edited by CB007

Something's wrong. Theon looks normal. That kid ain't normal any more.

Not wanting to spoil anything, but as a book reader, there could be a situation or two where having a 'normal' Theon makes sense in the plot.

I was disappointed with the trailer. Half of the stories I care very little for - Bran, Cersei, Daenerys (yawn), dragons - but there is so much cool stuff about to happen, I cannot wait for 7 April. That's when we get to see it in the UK :(

• 2 weeks later...

Game of Thrones exhibition coming to PNE this summer from August to September :D

Happy dance

Look for a tiny brown female Tyrion.

Yeah, a friend was telling me about this earlier today. Free admission and all. What sold me on going though, was the iron throne, lol.

Edited by g_bassi13

Guest Gumballthechewy

Hey WonderTwinPowers, if you were a chick, you, Lucy and myself could reenact a few scenes from Two Girls One Cup...

:bigblush: