The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

So I was watching the reactions of the spectators with some interest...

Jaime appears delighted as the fight progresses. You can almost see him think "Wow! Oberyn might just win this!"

Tywin appears distinctly unhappy as he slowly comes to the same conclusion...I suppose he really does want to be rid of Tyrion.

Meanwhile, Cersei seems pretty calm through the whole thing, only allowing herself a small smile when the fight ends. It seemed a bit odd to me. One would think that her reactions would be more along the lines Tywin's as the battle moves along and the Viper gains the upper hand....anger, disappointment, frustration... I suppose she's exhibiting restraint, but it seems unnecessary to me. Everyone knows who Tyrion's accuser is and what she wants to happen to him...

Finally, I wonder about the Tywin/Jaime "agreement". Tywin obviously won't be holding up his end of the bargain. (even though it was Tyrion's own mouth that screwed it up) Does he still expect Jaime to honor his?

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Pretty much her whole family was brutally murdered, I think her reaction was perfectly fine.

I know they were, I've been watching the show. As I said, I don't like pitty parties or people feeling sorry for themselves. I'm allowed to not like a character.

Pls watch the link. It could be a group bonding exercise for all watching partners in the thread

I don't want to click it because i saw that episode, and I'm now at college. Was a unique idea to save the main characters, one could say.

I know they were, I've been watching the show. As I said, I don't like pitty parties or people feeling sorry for themselves. I'm allowed to not like a character.

Certainly, but don't go all Tim Thomas on anyone. You have a right to express your opinion, but no right to be protected from others challenging that opinion.

EDIT: Because I was worried the above sounded like an unintentionally dick-ish comment, for what its worth, I largely agree with you. With the exception of the current season, Sansa always moped about her problems whereas other characters tried to deal with their problems.

Edited by Down by the River

Certainly, but don't go all Tim Thomas on anyone. You have a right to express your opinion, but no right to be protected from others challenging that opinion.

EDIT: Because I was worried the above sounded like an unintentionally dick-ish comment, for what its worth, I largely agree with you. With the exception of the current season, Sansa always moped about her problems whereas other characters tried to deal with their problems.

Don't worry, even before you put that last part in, I wouldn't have taken it as dick-ish. Everyone is different and have no problem or issue with why people may like a certain character (or whatever in life). Just like in life, I have no time for those who act like Sansa had acted. I know her character in the show is supposed to be a 14 year old, so I understand that. I also understand that she was largely sheltered from the awfulness of the world she lived in, so it was a shock for her to be suddenly be thrust into a terrible situation. She just stood out, to me, as being incredibly unbearable to watch when compared to everyone else in the show. Edited by Monty

Why is everyone here being so nice...? Odd.

I haven't met a straight male into Supernatural since I graduated from training bras. You're a unique one, Castiel

edit: Kryten too now, damn. That hurts.

I consider all of you in this thread aside from AllEyez my watching partners.

You can add me to the straight male category that watches Supernatural.

So I was watching the reactions of the spectators with some interest...

Jaime appears delighted as the fight progresses. You can almost see him think "Wow! Oberyn might just win this!"

Tywin appears distinctly unhappy as he slowly comes to the same conclusion...I suppose he really does want to be rid of Tyrion.

Meanwhile, Cersei seems pretty calm through the whole thing, only allowing herself a small smile when the fight ends. It seemed a bit odd to me. One would think that her reactions would be more along the lines Tywin's as the battle moves along and the Viper gains the upper hand....anger, disappointment, frustration... I suppose she's exhibiting restraint, but it seems unnecessary to me. Everyone knows who Tyrion's accuser is and what she wants to happen to him...

Finally, I wonder about the Tywin/Jaime "agreement". Tywin obviously won't be holding up his end of the bargain. (even though it was Tyrion's own mouth that screwed it up) Does he still expect Jaime to honor his?

Cercei in the books screamed 'NO!' as Oberyn put a spear through Ser Gregor. Tyrion threw up when Oberyn's head was crushed. The reactions in the books were far more visible. Like you, I was a little surprised at how calmed the spectators seemed to be.

1. When Joffrey and her are standing on the wooden ledge staring at Ned's head, she briefly considered throwing him off. Where would that had gotten her? She'd have been executed just like her father. Do you expect a 14 year old martyr?

She DID try to throw him off, only to be stopped by The Hound.

"Maybe he will give me YOURS." - Still one of the best lines in GoT.

She DID try to throw him off, only to be stopped by The Hound.

"Maybe he will give me YOURS." - Still one of the best lines in GoT.

At my age my memory is far from perfect, but I remember it like Luci. Sansa thinks about it, but makes no move to do so.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was ser Meryn who accompanied the two of them. Joff has him deliver a couple of slaps for her impertinence...

Not really. There's way too much going on to say it's tailored for one character

Just going by the writing as a former film student. Of course GRRM is full of his own surprises compared to mainstream movies and shows (I also know he said Tyrion was his fav character to write and the shows writers were all over his D). It just seems most of the effect and subtle things go into Dany and Tyrion.

But I still did word it wrong. As far as each storyline Tyrion's seems like he is the focal character and he seems more thought out than the others in his.

I am not complaining about it but I feel Tyrion truly has an immunity as does Dany to all situations until the end of the story.

Jaime during the Viper / Mountain fight was some delightful acting. For some reason I really noticed him and liked that entire scene very much. Definitely one of the scenes from the books I was looking forward to and it was perfectly executed.

At my age my memory is far from perfect, but I remember it like Luci. Sansa thinks about it, but makes no move to do so.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was ser Meryn who accompanied the two of them. Joff has him deliver a couple of slaps for her impertinence...

Your memory is indeed far from perfect. You are only right about the Ser Meryn slapping her part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9YdvlKtuA

Just going by the writing as a former film student. Of course GRRM is full of his own surprises compared to mainstream movies and shows (I also know he said Tyrion was his fav character to write and the shows writers were all over his D). It just seems most of the effect and subtle things go into Dany and Tyrion.

But I still did word it wrong. As far as each storyline Tyrion's seems like he is the focal character and he seems more thought out than the others in his.

I am not complaining about it but I feel Tyrion truly has an immunity as does Dany to all situations until the end of the story.

Out of curiosity, from a non-reader's opinion, of all the major characters, who do you feel don't have immunity?

EDIT: Let me give you a list:

Tywin, Cercie, Jaime, Varys, Littlefinger, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Jon Snow, Jorah, Margeary, Theon, Samwell, Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Brienne, The Hound.

Tyrion and Dany don't count here, as per you.

Edited by Hugor Hill

Hate to get so specific but she would've had to walk that plank to abide Joffrey anyways. In the books she entertained the idea, and the gaze downwards implies the same thing.

See her face at 0.16? That's the "I'm gonna kill that little f&%k!" face. Then she took 3 steps towards him. She only stopped because The Hound stopped her.

AND Joffrey never told Sansa to go to him. Here is the clip immediately prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGEmeSxJY3M

Edited by Hugor Hill