The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

8 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I mean I get what you're saying - but to me, it has ALWAYS been a plot-driven story that relies heavily on kinda stupid coincidence to move forward. I try my hardest to accept that while watching.

The zigzag thing was definitely a stand out, yes, but for me, the most offensive part was when Dany said her usual bold, dragonlady quote, and suddenly a dragon flew up behind her JUUUUUST at the right time. Like, did the dragon understand english and think "okay, now would be a totally cool time to fly up and scare everyone?" - it is so contrived to be "cool" or "badass" or whatever that its just SO lame (imo.)

I'm just thankful they got this scene over with at the beginning.  

Really sick of her and her cheesy scenes.

all I can think of now when she is riding her dragon is this:

becUse she actually

looks like falkor.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Ok, here is a military question for us men: if you are the wildlings and you find yourselves surrounded by Ramsay's broad shield Phalanx, what would you do to have a fighting chance?

Boggles me why Wun Wun wasn't equipped with his own trebuchet.

he could easily pull it and activate it in his own.

would cut through any phalanx 

43 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I mean I get what you're saying - but to me, it has ALWAYS been a plot-driven story that relies heavily on kinda stupid coincidence to move forward. I try my hardest to accept that while watching.

The zigzag thing was definitely a stand out, yes, but for me, the most offensive part was when Dany said her usual bold, dragonlady quote, and suddenly a dragon flew up behind her JUUUUUST at the right time. Like, did the dragon understand english and think "okay, now would be a totally cool time to fly up and scare everyone?" - it is so contrived to be "cool" or "badass" or whatever that its just SO lame (imo.)

According to GoT wiki, dragons imprint on the first thing they see after hatching, so they do view Dany as their mother. There are able to be trained to understand basic commands, much like a dog, hence the fire breathing when Dany says "Dracarys". 

There are those in Westeros, (Tywin in the books and Tyrion in the series) who believe they are much smarter than that. There is also a theory that dragons and their chosen riders have a telepathic connection.

I see where you're coming from, though. There is a lot of "Nick of time" stuff that goes on in GoT, but it certainly isn't confined to Dany's story arc. I think you might just have to accept that this is the way D & D have chosen to covey Martin's story, or, give up on it, if it bothers you that much.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Just now, riffraff said:

Boggles me why Wun Wun wasn't equipped with his own trebuchet.

he could easily pull it and activate it in his own.

would cut through any phalanx 

Just a giant club would have done the job. They should have equipped him with chain mail too.

He was capable of punching through the winterfell gates, which are about 1000x stronger than a random soldier holding a shield. He was also capable of ripping a man in half without any effort. He should have been able to just kick down the phalanx line and then stomp all over Ramsay's soldiers. Random wooden spears would have been pretty useless. He looked to be wearing a pretty thick hide of furs.

The giants were also capable of throwing spears over the Wall. It doesn't matter how big your sheild is, you're talking about a creature that can toss any kind of object with that kind of force. He could have picked up any of the bodies lying around and hurled them with enough force to knock over a dozen poeple standing in a row. Shields or no.

That wouldn't have created as interesting of a scene though.

33 minutes ago, taxi said:

Just a giant club would have done the job. They should have equipped him with chain mail too.

He was capable of punching through the winterfell gates, which are about 1000x stronger than a random soldier holding a shield. He was also capable of ripping a man in half without any effort. He should have been able to just kick down the phalanx line and then stomp all over Ramsay's soldiers. Random wooden spears would have been pretty useless. He looked to be wearing a pretty thick hide of furs.

The giants were also capable of throwing spears over the Wall. It doesn't matter how big your sheild is, you're talking about a creature that can toss any kind of object with that kind of force. He could have picked up any of the bodies lying around and hurled them with enough force to knock over a dozen poeple standing in a row. Shields or no.

That wouldn't have created as interesting of a scene though.

All great ideas.

i think you're On to something  and selling yourself short.  It would have been amazing to see him hurling and swinging more bodies around as weapons.

he should have been suited with chain mail at least on the torso, or some upper body playing - spiked elbow pads and armed with as you say a ball and chain.

at any rate it was a great scene overall.  I think the impending doom of the phalanx and the burial by bodies was powerful imagery.

Edited by riffraff

Still can't get over it. It was honestly so good, I can't. All of it was just so satisfying. Watched the ending scene and Sansa's smirk when Ramsay was getting eaten by his hounds. The smirk gave me so much satisfaction, like YAAAAAAAAAS QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN. 

My boyfriend and I are so loving Sansa, so epic. So awesome, so much everything. 

Also, 

sub-buzz-13199-1466406208-1.png

Perhaps I've just grown bored after the 4th season, but there doesn't seem to be any tension anymore.

Last night's episode had me feeling empty. Ramsey has always been one of my favourite characters, and I didn't find myself caring that he died. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Perhaps I've just grown bored after the 4th season, but there doesn't seem to be any tension anymore.

Last night's episode had me feeling empty. Ramsey has always been one of my favourite characters, and I didn't find myself caring that he died. 

Boooooooo!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Its not like he appeared out of no where.  If you watch it again you can see Drogon swooping across in front of a pyramid in the backdrop towards her while Danny is talking to the Masters. The scene goes back to her and she is looking down to the right at Drogon, thats when she delivers "her terms". Drogon then cries right before he lands.

Edited by Canorth

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

All great ideas.

i think you're On to something  and selling yourself short.  It would have been amazing to see him hurling and swinging more bodies around as weapons.

he should have been suited with chain mail at least on the torso, or some upper body playing - spiked elbow pads and armed with as you say a ball and chain.

at any rate it was a great scene overall.  I think the impending doom of the phalanx and the burial by bodies was powerful imagery.

I wanted to see him clear the hill of corpses onto the phalanx line.

4 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Wun Wun should have run right through them 

4 hours ago, taxi said:

They did have a giant with them...Those Phalanx line only work as long as there are no weak points. 

Use the giant to create a weak point and then have everyone funnel through that point and attack from the sides and back. If they had given the giant more support and shielded him from more of their spears, he could have easily trampled over a 20 men and made a huge gap in that line.

I also found it odd that so few of the wildlings had their own shields. 

Ok ok... what would you do WITHOUT the giant?

4 hours ago, taxi said:

They did have a giant with them...Those Phalanx line only work as long as there are no weak points. 

Use the giant to create a weak point and then have everyone funnel through that point and attack from the sides and back. If they had given the giant more support and shielded him from more of their spears, he could have easily trampled over a 20 men and made a huge gap in that line.

I also found it odd that so few of the wildlings had their own shields. 

Why didn;t the giant have a weapon lol, he couldve just used a tree log and still would have laid waste

5 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Ok ok... what would you do WITHOUT the giant?

I've rewatched it and it doesn't look that menacing....

1) You could have just grabbed ahold of the spears. Knocked them to the side with a sword when they were thrusting and just grabbed them pulling the front lines down and then everyone else would trip over them.

2) As for the men coming from the back, they were stumbling down an uneven pile of corpses. Instead of climbing up to them, you wait for them to stumble down and then attack them.

It also doesn't make sense that the shield troops were able to get to Jon's forces so quickly. They were on foot carrying large shields. After they were sent in, you would have had time to run around them, as opposed to being hemmed in like that. Phalanx type formations are very susceptible to lightly armed guerrilla style run and gun tactics and excel in situations where they are lined up against other organized lines. The Wildling army was about as run and gun as it gets. They could have easily hit them from all sorts of angles and chipped away at them before being hemmed in like that.

• Upvote 1