The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I wish they made the episodes 90 minutes or even two hours, y'know. But then that's like a 12 episode season. Anyway, time is running out of the walkers are going to win. 5 episodes left and still not a fight. Although that looks to change next episode. But for them to conquer Westeros at a snail's pace is seeming unlikely. 

31 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I wish they made the episodes 90 minutes or even two hours, y'know. But then that's like a 12 episode season. Anyway, time is running out of the walkers are going to win. 5 episodes left and still not a fight. Although that looks to change next episode. But for them to conquer Westeros at a snail's pace is seeming unlikely. 

The 6 episode season has a higher run time than a few of the 10 episode seasons. They get longer. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

That episode felt like it flew by quick with not too much happening. A lot of reunions of family members, some cheesy writing, and setting up what's to come in the next 5 episodes. Not even a Night King update. 

I get that the 1st episode of seasons are to set up the rest of the episodes, but when you're only giving us 6 in total make all 6 count! 

image.png.1e3623c900fb85a8403bc16dd4c00abc.png

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who was that kid pinned to the wall that was supposed to be a message from the night king? And where was that exactly? 

That was lil Ned Umber.  House Umber.  Located just south of the wall.  Their "castle" is called the Last Hearth.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Upvote 1

So whats with the aftermath trailer?  It must be a Bran vision because:

Spoiler

it appears to be the remains of a lot of important characters in an deserted Winterfell.  Arya's Needle, Jaime's hand, Jon's sword, Dany's chain, Tyrion's hand of the queen thingy, wheels from Brans chair, etc.  

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who was that kid pinned to the wall that was supposed to be a message from the night king? And where was that exactly? 

The twisty/circle formation that was created around the umber kid with arms and legs is the same shape that the children of the forest put around the first man who was turned into the night king during his execution. 

He's used it a few times throughout the series. 

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

My guess Nighfort. One the three remaining activate on the wall

Pretty East Watch by the Sea was destroyed by the Ice Dragon last season

Edit: Shadow Tower. Doesn't matter though, I was wrong either way

Edited by Canorth

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

My guess Nighfort. One the three remaining activate on the wall

Pretty East Watch by the Sea was destroyed by the Ice Dragon last season

it was Last Hearth. Home of the Umbers.

Young Ned was Lord of Last hearth, since the previous Lord, the Smalljon was killed at the Battle of the Bastards. (Smalljon was the guy who got in the epic scrap with Tormund)

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

it was Last Hearth. Home of the Umbers.

Young Ned was Lord of Last hearth, since the previous Lord, the Smalljon was killed at the Battle of the Bastards. (Smalljon was the guy who got in the epic scrap with Tormund)

Makes sense.

Good call

:lol: Faux News did a recap of Episode 1 and as expected, butchered it:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/recap-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-1-a-reunion-in-winterfell

Things really begin to pick up after that, as we see Jon and Daenerys together once again. Jon is able to ride her dragon, Rhagal, which reinvigorates what we learned last season: that Jon is actually a Targaryan. The two ride dragons together to an icy waterfall and share a passionate kiss.

In an emotional scene that follows, Daenerys meets Sam Tarly for the first time, to thank him for healing her faithful mentor, Jorah Marmot, who was infected with greyscale. Darnerys then comes to the realization that Sam is the son of Randyll Tarly and brother of Dickon, who Daenerys controversially killed for refusing to bend the knee last season.

It isn't included in the article, but after some sleuthing, I managed to find an image Ser Jorah Marmot:

Spoiler

image.png.ea8bffbbf5de3bd98e67cb9b717a355f.png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Thought it was a super weak episode -- pleasant in that it was nice to see some familiar faces in the same frame again, but totally unsatisfying in almost every way. Obviously it was a place-setting episode, but man they have to do better.

That dragon riding scene may have been the worst in the entire series for me -- terrible dialogue, terrible cgi -- it felt instantly dated by 15 years, and I was very consciously aware of how lame it looked

also not really convinced by all this dialogue trying to situate Sansa as some genius?

'sansa is the smartest person i know'

'tyrion, you used to be the cleverest person i know' etc

like okay sansa settle down, you're basically the victim of circumstance not a grand strategist

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Came across another interesting little bit that the producers snuck by us back in season one:

When Viserys attempts to steal the Dragon eggs and leave the Dothraki horde, Jorah Mormont stops him. Viserys notes that Jorah had sworn allegiance to him, which Jorah admits he had.

"And yet here you stand" says Viserys, to which Jorah reples, "And yet, here I stand"....

Spoiler

image.png.c53e546eaa33e8f0a8ec2e00adf528d5.png

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, EliasBoeser said:

Anyone make anything of the Tyrion and Bran stare down?  

Only a guess, but there were theories floating around that Tyrion had promised Cersei something, when they had their private meeting in the Red Keep. If true, it's probably something that Tyrion would rather Dany not know about.....

......but you can't hide anything from the Three Eyed Raven...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Only a guess, but there were theories floating around that Tyrion had promised Cersei something, when they had their private meeting in the Red Keep. If true, it's probably something that Tyrion would rather Dany not know about.....

......but you can't hide anything from the Three Eyed Raven...

My theory was that Tyrion was a Targaryan, but that obviously isn't going to be true

if book 1, there's so many scenes of him dreaming about dragons, having visions of them, blah blah. So many lines about him "connecting" with John and so on

then in season 4, 5, or 6, i don't remember which, when Tyrion meets the dragon in that pit, they are oddly VERY receptive to him, for such angry creatures. 

Plus Tywin always denouncing him. I just thought maybe, just maybe, Tyrion's life mirrored Jon's in that way. I mean, there's so many cheeky lines about them both being bastards.

but if Bran is saying Jon

my god is it john orJon

but with Bran saying Jon is the heir, it must be so