The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

On 4/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Thought it was a super weak episode -- pleasant in that it was nice to see some familiar faces in the same frame again, but totally unsatisfying in almost every way. Obviously it was a place-setting episode, but man they have to do better.

That dragon riding scene may have been the worst in the entire series for me -- terrible dialogue, terrible cgi -- it felt instantly dated by 15 years, and I was very consciously aware of how lame it looked

also not really convinced by all this dialogue trying to situate Sansa as some genius?

'sansa is the smartest person i know'

'tyrion, you used to be the cleverest person i know' etc

like okay sansa settle down, you're basically the victim of circumstance not a grand strategist 

Agree with everything you said. The dialogue went off a cliff. No one talks or acts like a real person anymore.

The dragon riding was out of place. That clearly should have been done when it would feel more meaningful. i.e. after Jon know he's a Targ.

The only truly good scenes were the ones involving Sam.

22 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

My theory was that Tyrion was a Targaryan, but that obviously isn't going to be true

if book 1, there's so many scenes of him dreaming about dragons, having visions of them, blah blah. So many lines about him "connecting" with John and so on

then in season 4, 5, or 6, i don't remember which, when Tyrion meets the dragon in that pit, they are oddly VERY receptive to him, for such angry creatures. 

Plus Tywin always denouncing him. I just thought maybe, just maybe, Tyrion's life mirrored Jon's in that way. I mean, there's so many cheeky lines about them both being bastards.

but if Bran is saying Jon

my god is it john orJon

but with Bran saying Jon is the heir, it must be so

Lots of theories about Tyrion being a Targ and it's still remotely possible, although with the Night King turning Viserion into a flying wight, it becomes less likely.

The most common theory (and the one that makes the most sense) is that somewhere along the line, the Mad King took "The King's privilege" with Joanna Lannister, making Tyrion a son of mixed Lannister and Targaryen blood. He wouldn't be a bastard per se, but he would be just the younger brother of Rhaegar. That would still put him behind Jon in terms of succession.

It would explain why Tywin hated him so much and it also explains why Viserion and Rhaegal didn't cook him when he went to see them when they were chained up in Meereen.

There is a line that gets thrown around a lot in ASOIAF, "The dragon has three heads". This had a lot of people trying to figure out who the third "head" was and Tyrion seemed like the best candidate.

The thing that poses the greatest threat to this theory is that Bran has yet to confirm or deny it. That being said, Sam had to tell him to go look for the Rhaegar-Lyanna wedding, so maybe Bran won't know about Tyrion's true parentage unless he goes looking for it.

If you're wondering whether we'll see the battle of Winterfell in the next episode, the opening credits might just tell us.

I'm sure most of us noticfed that there have a new animated sequence that they're showing while the theme music is playing and it's easy to see that they're now showing the Wall with a gaping hole in it.

Another thing that some may not have noticed is the "tiles" that flip from white to blue. Those tell us how far the Army of the Dead have traveled. (Last week, the tiles stopped changing at Last Hearth and we know what happened to Ned Umber there) So if we see blue tiles make it all the way to Winterfell, so have the WW....

On 4/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Thought it was a super weak episode -- pleasant in that it was nice to see some familiar faces in the same frame again, but totally unsatisfying in almost every way. Obviously it was a place-setting episode, but man they have to do better.

That dragon riding scene may have been the worst in the entire series for me -- terrible dialogue, terrible cgi -- it felt instantly dated by 15 years, and I was very consciously aware of how lame it looked

also not really convinced by all this dialogue trying to situate Sansa as some genius?

'sansa is the smartest person i know'

'tyrion, you used to be the cleverest person i know' etc

like okay sansa settle down, you're basically the victim of circumstance not a grand strategist

The CGI of Winterfell as they were riding away... looked like something I would have made in my computer science class... in 2005. 

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lots of theories about Tyrion being a Targ and it's still remotely possible, although with the Night King turning Viserion into a flying wight, it becomes less likely.

The most common theory (and the one that makes the most sense) is that somewhere along the line, the Mad King took "The King's privilege" with Joanna Lannister, making Tyrion a son of mixed Lannister and Targaryen blood. He wouldn't be a bastard per se, but he would be just the younger brother of Rhaegar. That would still put him behind Jon in terms of succession.

It would explain why Tywin hated him so much and it also explains why Viserion and Rhaegal didn't cook him when he went to see them when they were chained up in Meereen.

There is a line that gets thrown around a lot in ASOIAF, "The dragon has three heads". This had a lot of people trying to figure out who the third "head" was and Tyrion seemed like the best candidate.

The thing that poses the greatest threat to this theory is that Bran has yet to confirm or deny it. That being said, Sam had to tell him to go look for the Rhaegar-Lyanna wedding, so maybe Bran won't know about Tyrion's true parentage unless he goes looking for it.

That theory was out from the book fans for years but based on things not in the show but is a potential twist for sure. 

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: Cersei is hitting the wine awfully hard for someone who's supposed to be knocked up.

BTW 2: I wonder if she slept with Euron so she'll have someone to call "the father" of her baby.....:unsure:

I don't think she was ever pregnant.  She drinks in every a scene except when with her two brothers - Tyrion in season 7 guessed she was preggers because she didn't drink any wine, which led to Tyrion believing she has something to fight for.

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Cersei doesn't care about drinking or not drinking. She was banging her brother after all. If the kid was going to come out all slow or deformed, that would've been the time.

I think it's 50/50 that Tre is right.

Pretending to be pregnant in order to manipulate her brothers is certainly Cersei's style. The only thing that makes me wonder is the timing. She revealed her "condition" to Jaime when he was still firmly on her side and she couldn't possibly have guessed that she'd have a one on one meeting with Tyrion....

17 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

i'll go ahead and give that episode a 9.5/10. loved it. thought it was hilarious, sufficiently emotional, and tense

Other than the humor I thought it was garbage.

I think I over hyped.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Wat 1

felt like there was a lot of foreshadowing about jamie's death in that ep 

both bran and dany reference his potential death after the fight, while he himself admits he can't fight like he used to. maybe reading too much into it, but i could see his being the redemption story - dying protecting bran or something

also l m a o at the giant story 

53 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

felt like there was a lot of foreshadowing about jamie's death in that ep 

both bran and dany reference his potential death after the fight, while he himself admits he can't fight like he used to. maybe reading too much into it, but i could see his being the redemption story - dying protecting bran or something

also l m a o at the giant story 

I thought there was foreshadowing about Jamie's death as well.

But I'm also thinking:  assuming Cersei is going to get killed somewhere along the way, is it possible that it will be Jaimie who kills her?

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I thought there was foreshadowing about Jamie's death as well.

But I'm also thinking:  assuming Cersei is going to get killed somewhere along the way, is it possible that it will be Jaimie who kills her?

arya using jaime's face ;)

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Yawn. 

2 wasted episodes of sentiment and boring dialogue.

Should've just made this season 4 episodes. Or made the 1st episode 20 minutes longer and let Arya get banged then. 

Most of it felt contrived as well, just a mess, I'm a bit disappointed so far, the only interesting things that have happened is Jon finding out who he is and him telling Daenerys. It's obvious it's just a lot of lipservice for the Neckbeards and Pinkhairdos who would whine and b---- about not getting any sort of reunion dialogue between character X and character Y. 

Edited by canuckster19
  • Cheers 1