The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Can we have a book reader thread for Game of Thrones like they do on hfboards? Seems like there are enough readers here to keep a thread like that alive. And if you just watch the show, keep discussions here. I don't think it's a bad idea considering how many posts have been dedicated to back and forth yapping about what is and isn't a spoiler. I kind of avoid this thread for that reason alone because it's easy for these things to slip (westeros.org ftw)

Can someone put in a spoiler tag what CB007 said? Kind of curious

I can put a tag on that post but I just think that it's been quoted a couple of time already and the more we talk about it the worse it gets. I feel kinda bad about it but the mods can just delete.

EDIT: they did delete it.

Edited by CB007

Can we have a book reader thread for Game of Thrones like they do on hfboards? Seems like there are enough readers here to keep a thread like that alive. And if you just watch the show, keep discussions here. I don't think it's a bad idea considering how many posts have been dedicated to back and forth yapping about what is and isn't a spoiler. I kind of avoid this thread for that reason alone because it's easy for these things to slip (westeros.org ftw)

Can someone put in a spoiler tag what CB007 said? Kind of curious

I was actually just about to suggest this. Make it clear in the title that there are spoilers inside and discuss the books and how the show interprets them to your hearts' content.

but that would screw over book readers that only started reading, or are not fully caught up. they might want to discuss the book they are currently on (which might be past the show), and have the next one spoiled for them. so there would be no place for them.

but that would screw over book readers that only started reading, or are not fully caught up. they might want to discuss the book they are currently on (which might be past the show), and have the next one spoiled for them. so there would be no place for them.

How would it screw them over? It's not like it takes away a place for them to talk. You're free to create a thread for people who fit that criteria, but I'm not sure how popular it'd be..

• Upvote 1

How would it screw them over? It's not like it takes away a place for them to talk. You're free to create a thread for people who fit that criteria, but I'm not sure how popular it'd be..

i'm just saying they wouldn't be able to take part in your thread with spoilers because they might get spoiled, and then they couldn't discuss the stuff that they read that hasn't been shown yet. it's just not as perfect of a solution as you think it is; is what i'm saying.

i'm just saying they wouldn't be able to take part in your thread with spoilers because they might get spoiled, and then they couldn't discuss the stuff that they read that hasn't been shown yet. it's just not as perfect of a solution as you think it is; is what i'm saying.

You're being ridiculous. The thread is a great idea, quit complaining. I'm in the same boat as you, I've still got 3/4 of ADWD to go but I'm not complaining.

If you want an active discussion for each book specifically go to the forum of ice and fire.

Edited by Beluga Whale
  • Upvote 2

What do you suggest? It's a clear upgrade over the previous situation and the number of people who have read only 3 or 4 of the books is going to be tiny.

For the record, this is "my" thread because I've only read the first two books.

Guest Gumballthechewy

oh, okay. i thought you were trying to imply that something important is going to happen, so we should expect important things to happen. but no, you are just hyping the show for some reason. so thanks for coming into the thread and "hyping" the show for people who already watch it then

maybe you're suggesting we watch it because the content you already spoiled will happen?

No, nothing will happen. It's just going to be a black screen for sixty minutes. <_<

oh, okay. i thought you were trying to imply that something important is going to happen, so we should expect important things to happen. but no, you are just hyping the show for some reason. so thanks for coming into the thread and "hyping" the show for people who already watch it then

maybe you're suggesting we watch it because the content you already spoiled will happen?

Sorry!! I'll put things in spoiler tags from now on. If you wanna know...

Guest Gumballthechewy

He's just being a moron at this point. Next he'll be going into the full spoiler thread and bitching about spoilers.

Edited by Gumballthechewy

There's a difference between stating that you're excited, and saying that... well, I don't want to repeat it seeing as the mods have already removed it.

I'll put it in spoilers

There's a difference between stating that you're excited, and stating that the people who have no idea what's going to happen next should be preparing to brace themselves. Of course they're already going to be watching the next episode. All you've done is tell them that something major is going to happen, when it's not necessary to expect that in a second episode, where it could very well have been like the first one.

Regardless of whatever it is, you've removed the shock factor with what you've said, or at least the way that you said it.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

If people don't want things spoiled for them don't come into a thread about the topic.

Obviously if someones goes out of their way to spoil somethings it's different but if your so sensitive that off hand remarks get you going maybe you should police yourself.

See I remember thinking that book Ramsey was going easy on Theon...and I never had him with such a sadistic look to him either. I think it's Iwan's performance that makes me prefer the show version.

The majority of castings have been excellent, and it's why I'm slowly coming around to the idea of wanting the show to pass the books, rather than the other way around. I'd much rather see what Weiss and Benioff do with characters than the actual creator.

I see it the other way around, myself. In the book, Theon is down to (I think) seven fingers, but his POV chapters go into detail about how Ramsay flays his finger and then refuses to cut it off right away, letting the raw wound "dry and crack", causing what Theon says is worse pain than the actual flaying.

There is also the matter of Lady Hornwood, locked in a tower by Ramsay and starved to death. In the end "eating her own fingers".

Even the descriptions of Ramsay's "hunts" where he and Skinner and the boys let women run and if they give him "good sport" he kills them before he flays them (otherwise after) and names one of his hunting dogs for them...

You're just not getting it. Is it too much to ask for non-book readers to watch the show without wanting to know anything about the future? You've already been told to stop yet here we are...jeez another thread has been made go post there.

You're being ridiculous. The thread is a great idea, quit complaining. I'm in the same boat as you, I've still got 3/4 of ADWD to go but I'm not complaining.

If you want an active discussion for each book specifically go to the forum of ice and fire.

i'm just saying the new book thread is pointless and this thread with spoiler tags was fine and dandy.