The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

On 5/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, Monty said:

Just gotta say, for some reason, when minute 2:15 in the video (2:13 on the album), that’s one of my favourite musical moments. I have no clue. But I can listen to that over, and over again. Same with minute 3:13 (essentially the same jam). Just love it.

I also love how, when the album was first released, Pitchfork gave it a 0.6/10. But on their 10 years later review, they gave it a well deserved 8.6/10. Their pretentiousness finally realized just what the music was. Fun.

Also, shocked when I found out years ago that Andrew W.K. is classically trained in piano, having started at the age of 4, and actually released an album of completely original piano music. Far more talented than originally thought.

But I love his music. To me, it’s like AC/DC. You know what you’re going to get, and you know all the songs sound the same. But damn can you bang your head to them :lol: 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Monty said:

Just gotta say, for some reason, when minute 2:15 in the video (2:13 on the album), that’s one of my favourite musical moments. I have no clue. But I can listen to that over, and over again. Same with minute 3:13 (essentially the same jam). Just love it.

Agreed. I love that whole album, but the "ain't got nothing to lose" part of the chorus on that song is just pure, distilled joy.

14 hours ago, Monty said:

I also love how, when the album was first released, Pitchfork gave it a 0.6/10. But on their 10 years later review, they gave it a well deserved 8.6/10. Their pretentiousness finally realized just what the music was. Fun.

I've come to realize that this video, made famous in a Pitchfork review, is actually the essence of Pitchfork reviews:

Edited by D-Money
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Agreed. I love that whole album, but the "ain't got nothing to lose" part of the chorus on that song is just pure, distilled joy.

I've come to realize that this video, made famous in a Pitchfork review, is actually the essence of Pitchfork reviews:

I remember seeing that when it originally came out, but forget which review it was for :lol: 

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/amp/

Not surprisingly, it was for a Jet album.

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

I remember seeing that when it originally came out, but forget which review it was for :lol: 

The album by Jet, Get Born. It was rated 0.0.

Yes, it probably was crap. But if they actually gave I Get Wet 0.6...what do they know?

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The album by Jet, Get Born. It was rated 0.0.

Yes, it probably was crap. But if they actually gave I Get Wet 0.6...what do they know?

It definitely was a funny "review". But with the power that Pitchfork has (see: Travis Morrison solo debut of Dismemberment Plan fame) in the music community, they really needed to learn to curb their "dickery". It's ok to give a review a bad score if it's not good, but for Jet to just get a the video of a monkey pissing in its own mouth? That's CDC level laziness. People can think whatever they like of bands and albums they don't like, but Jet (who I don't like btw) did put effort into making the album. Either make a concereted effort to listening and reviewing it, or don't review it at all.

And that's what the video review, the Andrew W.K. review, and a slew of others aruond the 2000s time reaked of. Writers who, understandably so, wanted to be seen and recognized for their writing, and less about their knowledge of who the band/artist is, and what their intent is. And also, in Jet's case, clearly a case where the writer didn't even listen to the album and wanted to have a laugh. Which is lazy.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, Monty said:

Also, shocked when I found out years ago that Andrew W.K. is classically trained in piano, having started at the age of 4, and actually released an album of completely original piano music. Far more talented than originally thought.

But I love his music. To me, it’s like AC/DC. You know what you’re going to get, and you know all the songs sound the same. But damn can you bang your head to them :lol: 

Funny you mention AC/DC as I always though of Jet as a wannabe AC/DC-light

22 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Pretty sure they stated they were

or at least that they felt influenced by AC/DC

Ya I get it.....just a bit too close especially considering they are from Australia as well.

but those early 2000’s saw a rawk revival so it worked for them.

It is hard to take a classic song and not "fox it up" but Seether has taken it and made it even better.    Great tune and great acoustic interpretation of an iconic metal tune.    This is on repeat on my system when in the hotel on this trip along with the latest In Flames album (best album of the past year or so....period).

• Like 1